• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

July 26th - coffee or tea?

I'm a coffee lover trying to convert myself to tea. Irish Breakfast with honey and milk... Coffee on special occasions (like today's Sabbath :) ) with maple syrup and half&half.
I bought chicory seeds this year, and might try making a brewable hot drink with chicory roots and sprouted toasted barley
Isn't chicory the main ingredient in Pero?

I'm a coffee lover trying to convert myself to tea. Irish Breakfast with honey and milk... Coffee on special occasions (like today's Sabbath :) ) with maple syrup and half&half.

I think it's the third ingredient, after barley. But that's just what I remember.

My grandfather's family were LDS my great grandmother use to drink something .... I can't remember the name of it but growing up my mom would buy it on an occasion. I asked her if she remembers and she doesn't ..... her memory isn't so good anymore. Pero doesn't sound familiar is there something else that is traditional with the older LDS? I really liked it... I would love to find some again.

I was raised by LDS parents so we didn't drink coffee or tea and only rarely soda.

May I ask with the utmost respect what thr belief is regarding not drinking coffee, black tea or soda?
I worked for a couple who were LDS and she drank nothing but diet mt dew but almost had an attitude whenever I brought coffee in with me. She never expalined much in a productive way but always tried to push her beliefs on my family in a very strong we are right you are wrong type of way.
So while I don't have anything against any beliefs or with hearing people out(I very much want to learn about many religions), she did put a bad taste in my mouth about the LDS church, or at least our local branch.

They do not have a hard and fast rule per se on coffee and tea or any caffeine for that matter. But Joseph Smith gave the word of wisdom which says wine, strong drinks, and hot drinks are not allowed. As time passed that was added to through their leaders stating that any alcoholic beverage, coffee, tea and drinks containing caffeine are not allowed. They do have thier freedom of choice tho on all things. Some drink herbal teas some stay away, some drink caffeine soda but not coffee. Lots of different thoughts on this topic for sure depending on who you ask.

My grandfather's family were LDS my great grandmother use to drink something .... I can't remember the name of it but growing up my mom would buy it on an occasion. I asked her if she remembers and she doesn't ..... her memory isn't so good anymore. Pero doesn't sound familiar is there something else that is traditional with the older LDS? I really liked it... I would love to find some again.
I bet it’s Postum. It is a wheat-bran and molasses drink served warm. I had to look it up but it is still made and you can order it online. Could be a fun trip down memory lane for your mother.

May I ask with the utmost respect what thr belief is regarding not drinking coffee, black tea or soda?
I can share some of my thoughts here. Feel free to ask more questions or private message if you prefer.

As I recall Joseph Smith as a youth refused alcohol even when a Dr suggested it for pain when performing a surgical procedure on Joseph's leg. The word of wisdom was recorded later and IF you believe Joseph Smith was a prophet, he was speaking for the Lord there, which is why many lds members take it so seriously.
As with any teaching there can be a difference between what was spoken, how it was understood at the time, and how it is understood 100 or more years later. There can of course also be people falsly claiming to speak for YHWH and adding to His revealed will.

I grew up using herbs and nutrition rather than drugs and surgeries. Perhaps because of western medicine not being a trusted part of our family culture I have long seen a glaring inconsistency in mormons (from my perspective) in that they refuse alcohol, and coffee, tea, or soda with caffeine in them, but frequently have a "medicine cabinet" full of man made substances that are far more damaging to the body.

They do not have a hard and fast rule per se on coffee and tea or any caffeine for that matter.
This is true, in that you will not get kicked out of the church for not obeying the word of wisdom, but members are judged by other members to some degree.
My dad was up for a visit and seemed shocked that we were making and drinking coffee. I told him that it's just "bean tea" to me, and explained it is cheaper then the instant hot drinks for a large family like ours. I love and appreciate my dad. I don't pick on him or judge him per se for his choices, like being vaccinated, or taking prescriptions that I believe hurt his health, but I do tell my older children why I have made different choices.....and why we prefer to fellowship with members of many denominations, but will not "join" one.

I bet it’s Postum. It is a wheat-bran and molasses drink served warm. I had to look it up but it is still made and you can order it online. Could be a fun trip down memory lane for your mother.
Yes! That is it! I wonder if they still make it?

View attachment 468
I am a person who enjoys a Starbucks now and then, so my two favorite drinks outside of the house are from them - a caramel macchiato with half the pumps of syrup and iced and a London Fog. A London Fog (part of where I got my screen name from) is an Earl Grey latte.
Coffee in the morning, and a good cup of tea before bed. My infrequent Starbucks splurge is a Venti Non Fat Caramel Macchiato Extra Hot. :) Rainy, my next tea will be a London Fog. ☕

Coffee in the morning, and a good cup of tea before bed. My infrequent Starbucks splurge is a Venti Non Fat Caramel Macchiato Extra Hot. :) Rainy, my next tea will be a London Fog. ☕

Yes! That's what I do! Mostly. I am known to have coffee before bed sometimes, because caffeine doesn't affect me. But I do like a cup of sleepy time tea before bed also. I'll have to ask for my macchiato extra hot next time! Our oldest son is amazed at how hot I like my coffee! And I hope you enjoy the London Fog! I was told most baristas that aren't trainees should know what it is! So it's not just a local thing to my Starbucks. :)

Is Irish Breakfast like English Breakfast tea? That's one of my favorite kinds of tea, but I haven't heard of a Irish version. :)

Windblown, I had an opportunity to get some Irish breakfast tea and I like it! I'm glad you mentioned it! :D

Oh goodness! I love coffee (and basically all the flavors) and loose leaf tea (non of that pre-bagged crap)! Lavender earl gray is one of my favorite teas but really there’s so many yummy flavors.... I live in Washington though, we’re all a bunch of drink snobs :D
Drink snobs....lol My mom lives in WA. I will have to ask her....:) I love Earl Grey but have never heard of Lavender Earl Grey. Do you make it yourself or can you buy it?

Back