• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Prayer request Just sent a reminder about polygamy to one of our church elders

Praying and working for that day to come, but willing to wait until I get my second, as it is somewhat convenient that I have less competition out there for the time being.
I was referring to enforced monogamy crumbling like a stack of Jenga.

Greek adds suffixes to the ends of words, or varies the spelling of a word, to denote nuances of meaning, a lot more than English does. They're still the same word fundamentally.

Is the "accusative singular" form. Accusative meaning it is talking about a specific woman, and singular meaning one. So here Jesus is talking about a man looking at a "specific individual woman" to lust after. But instead of adding the words "specific individual", Greek adds some extra letters to the end which mean the same thing.

Is the "genitive plural" form. In this case, being "genitive" rather than "accusative" means it is refering to women existing out there in general but not focussing on a specific few women as the object of the conversation. So this means more generally just "multiple women".

Note that even in English the spelling of women / woman is changed to show the plural or singular, but it's still the same word with the same meaning. In Greek the spelling is also changed to denote "case" and gender. This is why the same word can be written so many different ways in Greek just to denote minor differences in how it is being used.

This is a complex issue which I am no expert in, and I am sure to have oversimplified it, but I hope that is helpful.
Greek lessons are always beneficial when it comes to being able to present a solid case.

14:21 οἱ δὲ ἐσθίοντες ἦσαν ἄνδρες ὡσεὶ πεντακισχίλιοι χωρὶς ~ γυναικῶν ~ καὶ παιδίων

5:28 ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν ὅτι πᾶς ὁ βλέπων ~ γυναῖκα ~ πρὸς τὸ ἐπιθυμῆσαι αὐτῆς ἤδη ἐμοίχευσεν αὐτὴν ἐν τῇ καρδίᾳ αὐτοῦ

It’s a different spelling or form of the word. The form of the word used in Matthew 5:28 is used 51 times in Scripture and seems to pretty much always be speaking of married or widowed (previously married) women. The form of the word used in Matthew 14:21 seems to almost always be used for women in the generic sense.

γυναῖκα vs. γυναικῶν
The spelling of the Greek noun γυναῖκα, includes gender, case, and number. It is a Feminine Accusative Singular noun from γυνή, - woman.
On the other hand γυναικῶν is a Feminine Genitive Plural noun also from γυνή, - woman.

Keeping it simple, the Accusative is the case of limitation. The Genitive is the case of description.

Back