• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

General Keeping God at the center of the argument

Paulsen

Real Person
Male
I'm excited to share this because the fruit of what I'm sharing has been excellent so far.

Since starting to believe that poly was acceptable to Adonai I have had many apparently fruitless discussions with evangelicals of various denominations. My go to versus have changed at different times (there are so many to choose from). I have often stood on 2 Samuel 12 where it explicitly says that Adonai gave David his wives (plural) so it must not be a sin! Only to be answered with an inferential argument about dispensationalism. Or people just bluntly saying "it's not for today".

Many of the conversations go this way. I bring explicit proof scriptures and I'm answered with inferential teaching, changing subjects, someone's feelings...I have not, until now, born much fruit for the truth in this regard

What I have been looking for is a way of going about this that quickly gets past the post modern crap and inferential teachings. I want Something so blunt and indisputable that people are left needing to make a decision about whether they will acknowledge the scriptures at all or openly admit they don't care what God has to say about it.

After much trial and error I think I have found a peaceable way of accomplishing the goal. It's really simple. The argument begins and ends with the fact that Adonai is a polygamist. Wherever people try to redirect the conversation I will bring it right back to Ezekiel 23 where Adonai explicitly states that He is a polygamist and had two wives simultaneously. The key is to point people to this and kindly, lovingly refuse to get off this clear truth.

This defeats the "not for this dispensation" or "not for today" argument because our God is the same yesterday, today and forever.

This defeats the "it's not a sin but it's and error" argument because our God does not make errors.

This defeats the Deuteronomy 17 "God told kings not to be polygamists" argument because the word in Deuteronomy is not to multiply wives which indicates a huge number in context. It could not have meant no polygamy at all since our King is a polygamist.

This defeats the "Paul says you can't be poly and lead in the church" argument with a simple "if that's the right understanding of Paul's instructions then God isn't qualified either"

It destroys "well you can't come to church here because you are causing a controversy" because you can show them the word and ask them if they are going to uninvite Adonai as well.

I could go on, I believe that any argument against poly (from someone claiming to be Christian) can be summarily shut down with Ezekiel 23. It makes so much sense too because it's putting Adonai back at the center of the conversation! If someone has something against poly you don't have to be mean with them but it is easy to show them that they are really saying they don't like the way Adonai has conducted himself! Which is the problem they need to work out anyway.

Since I have taken this approach every conversation I am having has been fruitful. Obviously not everyone agrees, but it totally cuts out the talking in circles and wasted time. The worst responses I have had are people just ending the conversation seeming perplexed. Several other conversations I have had people come all the way around to saying "I guess your right, I don't know what to say" or "i guess i can't really disagree with you but I don't want to be involved with poly" which i received as major progress for a single conversation.

I know a method can't replace needing to be led by the spirit through these conversations; at the same time I think keeping Adonai's identity and the way he conducts himself at the center of the argument is proving to bear much fruit for me and I share it here in hopes it will bear much fruit for some of you.

If someone has something against poly you don't have to be mean with them but it is easy to show them that they are really saying they don't like the way Adonai has conducted himself! Which is the problem they need to work out anyway.
Solid gold!

As irrefutable as the Eze 23 argument is, there are still those who will try to gainsay it.
I came across this discourse some time ago...

Blog comment;
"See Multiple Wives, is God’s choice.
HE says HE has more than one wife in many different ways.
Ezekiel 23.
"

Blogger replied;
"I disagree. God has one wife: His people (as a whole). This thought is continued in the New Testament, where it says Jesus has one bride: the church. Ezekiel 23 is not talking about two separate brides, but rather how individuals within His bride act. It shows two arch-types, not showing an example of polygamy."

After reading that argument, I'm thinking how I might reply....
Excellent. Since you say that multiple individuals make up God's one "bride", then there's no problem with a man having more than one woman making up his one "bride".

Epilogue;
Some say that since a marriage is between one man, and one woman; polygamy is therefore no marriage at all, and thus sin. Well they're partially right, a marriage is between one man and one woman, but polygamy literally means many marriages; not a marriage between one man and many women... which is a misframing of the situation and leads many to erroneous conclusions, saying "redefinition of marriage". My comment above was for the purpose of using their own words to prove their error... not to perpetuate the myth that polygamy is redefinition of marriage; so I think I would follow that with an "in all seriousness" statement of what polygamy (polygyny) really means, while strongly affirming that marriage is only between one man, and one woman.

Brilliant work @Paulsen. That's the kind of effort it takes to really sort out the strong from the weak arguments.

The reason it works so well for you is you're forcing them into an irrefutable situation of cognitive dissonance. This argument forces them to either say God is wrong or they are wrong. That's a quick way to shut up any serious Christian.

I predict this argument will bear long term fruit in the perception of people you have talken to. Achieving cognitive dissonance is about the only way to break most people out of paradigms of thinking.

As irrefutable as the Eze 23 argument is, there are still those who will try to gainsay it.
I came across this discourse some time ago...

Blog comment;
"See Multiple Wives, is God’s choice.
HE says HE has more than one wife in many different ways.
Ezekiel 23.
"

Blogger replied;
"I disagree. God has one wife: His people (as a whole). This thought is continued in the New Testament, where it says Jesus has one bride: the church. Ezekiel 23 is not talking about two separate brides, but rather how individuals within His bride act. It shows two arch-types, not showing an example of polygamy."

After reading that argument, I'm thinking how I might reply....
Excellent. Since you say that multiple individuals make up God's one "bride", then there's no problem with a man having more than one woman making up his one "bride".

Epilogue;
Some say that since a marriage is between one man, and one woman; polygamy is therefore no marriage at all, and thus sin. Well they're partially right, a marriage is between one man and one woman, but polygamy literally means many marriages; not a marriage between one man and many women... which is a misframing of the situation and leads many to erroneous conclusions, saying "redefinition of marriage". My comment above was for the purpose of using their own words to prove their error... not to perpetuate the myth that polygamy is redefinition of marriage; so I think I would follow that with an "in all seriousness" statement of what polygamy (polygyny) really means, while strongly affirming that marriage is only between one man, and one woman.
I have faced this response already but it got shot down quickly when I said "except that is not what God says. He says it is two wives. Also he treated them differently. One got a divorce the other did not." Also I told the person that of the scriptures say literally the number two and you reply by saying that 2 means 1 then I don't trust your interpretation of anything.

Brilliant work @Paulsen. That's the kind of effort it takes to really sort out the strong from the weak arguments.

The reason it works so well for you is you're forcing them into an irrefutable situation of cognitive dissonance. This argument forces them to either say God is wrong or they are wrong. That's a quick way to shut up any serious Christian.

I predict this argument will bear long term fruit in the perception of people you have talken to. Achieving cognitive dissonance is about the only way to break most people out of paradigms of thinking.
Thanks, that is encouraging and I see it happening in practice.

One more thing I would like to point out about the fruit I am seeing is that people who are fairly serious about their relationship with Adonai seem to be making progress on emotional acceptance through this discussion. It seems they are thinking something like "well if Adonai chose it, then maybe it can actually be a good thing and not just tolerable/not a mortal sin/grey area" these more serious Christians are used to thinking that what Adonai does is always good and they should respect it. Don't get me wrong these people aren't immediately coming back with a glowing report about poly, but I notice they stop the derrogatory side remarks and the "your just horny" kind of attitude.

I even made a joke to someone in one of these conversations and they didn't get angry. I said "well the father did it, and we are supposed to be perfect as our heavenly father is perfect , so go find yourself a second wife haha" they kinda smiled and said "well I'm not totally disagreeing about the whole topic but i have to look more at this."

This seems to help people separate us from the horror stories about poly that are occasionally in the main stream news as well.

(Possible derail, I'll start another thread if anyone is interested in discussion more than a quick answer.)

Something I have wondered, have an opinion but wanted to see what others thought.

Ezekiel 23:10 They stripped her naked, took away her sons and daughters and killed her with the sword. She became a byword among women, and punishment was inflicted on her.

The "her" is Oholah, who is killed. Whom God has divorced.

Ezekiel 234The older was named Oholah, and her sister was Oholibah. They were mine and gave birth to sons and daughters. Oholah is Samaria, and Oholibah is Jerusalem.

Oholibah eventually does worse than Oholah. Ezekiel 23:32“This is what the Sovereign Lord says: “You will drink your sister’s cup, a cup large and deep; it will bring scorn and derision, for it holds so much. 33You will be filled with drunkenness and sorrow, the cup of ruin and desolation, the cup of your sister Samaria. 34You will drink it and drain it dry and chew on its pieces—and you will tear your breasts.

But yet, it is not stated that Oholibah is "killed".

First, how can God remarry Oholah if she is dead?

Second, how can God remarry Oholah if she is not dead, and stay married to Oholibah based on, Deuteronomy 24:4 then her first husband, who divorced her, is not allowed to marry her again after she has been defiled. That would be detestable in the eyes of the LORD. Do not bring sin upon the land the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance.

AND

Leviticus 20:10 "'If a man commits adultery with another man's wife--with the wife of his neighbor--both the adulterer and the adulteress are to be put to death.

Second, how can God remarry Oholah if she is not dead, and stay married to Oholibah based on, Deuteronomy 24:4 then her first husband, who divorced her, is not allowed to marry her again after she has been defiled. That would be detestable in the eyes of the LORD. Do not bring sin upon the land the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance.

AND

Leviticus 20:10 "'If a man commits adultery with another man's wife--with the wife of his neighbor--both the adulterer and the adulteress are to be put to death.
Here are a couple thoughts...

Jeremiah uses the image of divorce while Ezekiel uses the sword. Both are consistent with the house of Israel being cut off. Hosea, I think, tells us that the house of Israel (referred to as Ephraim, the dynastic line for the house of Israel) would forget who she was... Another picture of this being cut off, yet, Yah promises that she will number more than the sands of the seashore.

Paul in Romans 7 tells those who know the Law that if the man dies, then the woman is released from the decree of divorce to remarry the man... Yeshua, being that One who was married to her, then died and was resurrected, can be remarried to her thus explaining His statement in Matthew 15:24 that He came only for the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Praise Yah!!

Here are a couple thoughts...

Jeremiah uses the image of divorce while Ezekiel uses the sword. Both are consistent with the house of Israel being cut off. Hosea, I think, tells us that the house of Israel (referred to as Ephraim, the dynastic line for the house of Israel) would forget who she was... Another picture of this being cut off, yet, Yah promises that she will number more than the sands of the seashore.

Paul in Romans 7 tells those who know the Law that if the man dies, then the woman is released from the decree of divorce to remarry the man... Yeshua, being that One who was married to her, then died and was resurrected, can be remarried to her thus explaining His statement in Matthew 15:24 that He came only for the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Praise Yah!!

I can see the differences in the use of the terms divorce and sword and how they could relate. So Ezekiel is really just saying that God divorced Oholah.

I don't think Paul said that the woman is released from the decree of divorce but from the marriage, but I guess it could mean the same thing, which would further imply that she is released from her sin that caused the divorce.

But this gets complicated, so the man (God) is dead so the woman (Israel) is dead and free from the marriage AND the decree of divorce and they can live a resurrected life in a new relationship. But, if Judah does not die and her Husband (God) does then she is free from the marriage (no longer married to God) and can not live the resurrected life until she dies as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
But, if Judah does not die and her Husband (God) does then she is free from the marriage (no longer married to God) and can not live the resurrected life until she dies as well.
By virtue of the fact that the husband died, her marriage covenant also must be renewed, therefore, the renewed covenant of Jeremiah 31:34 has both houses renewing their covenants.

I believe it is the individual entering the new covenant that "dies" by baptism. YHWH cannot die. There is a verse in Isaiah that references this talking about the new name for His servants. He says I will slay you (Israel) and call my servants by a new name. When one is immersed it is symbolic of death and it marks the time when the old man dies and the believer is then numbered among the redeemed.

I believe it is the individual entering the new covenant that "dies" by baptism. YHWH cannot die. There is a verse in Isaiah that references this talking about the new name for His servants. He says I will slay you (Israel) and call my servants by a new name. When one is immersed it is symbolic of death and it marks the time when the old man dies and the believer is then numbered among the redeemed.

I understand this, I was just trying to see it more without the spiritual side to try and see it more clearly.

(Possible derail, I'll start another thread if anyone is interested in discussion more than a quick answer.)

Something I have wondered, have an opinion but wanted to see what others thought.

Ezekiel 23:10 They stripped her naked, took away her sons and daughters and killed her with the sword. She became a byword among women, and punishment was inflicted on her.

The "her" is Oholah, who is killed. Whom God has divorced.

Ezekiel 234The older was named Oholah, and her sister was Oholibah. They were mine and gave birth to sons and daughters. Oholah is Samaria, and Oholibah is Jerusalem.

Oholibah eventually does worse than Oholah. Ezekiel 23:32“This is what the Sovereign Lord says: “You will drink your sister’s cup, a cup large and deep; it will bring scorn and derision, for it holds so much. 33You will be filled with drunkenness and sorrow, the cup of ruin and desolation, the cup of your sister Samaria. 34You will drink it and drain it dry and chew on its pieces—and you will tear your breasts.

AND

Can you split this off and the separate conversation that started with it to another thread?

Can you split this off and the separate conversation that started with it to another thread?

I got out of the discussion what I needed. If the mods would like to delete the conversation fine with me. However, if your argument in defence of polygamy is within Ezekiel 23, wouldn't you want to understand more about it.

I do want to know more about it. I was hoping to keep this thread about the fruit born from always bringing the argument back to the fact that Adonai is a polygamist. How his polygamy played out and the future of it are a different point. Valuable but a different point.

In fact if I were debating about poly with someone and they started talking about the release from the law of the husband at death and the freedom for israel to remarry accomplished by Jesus death and resurrection then I would still be saying "hold on my whole point is that God is a polygamist and that means you should accept polygamy as from Him"

In fact if I were debating about poly with someone and they started talking about the release from the law of the husband at death and the freedom for israel to remarry accomplished by Jesus death and resurrection then I would still be saying "hold on my whole point is that God is a polygamist and that means you should accept polygamy as from Him"
Keeping the other person on topic is a big part of the battle for the truth of polygyny. Whether they want to get off into divorce bringing adultery or the hardness of hearts or something else, most opponents of the truth of polygyny won't stick to the immediate point being discussed. I'm with you @Paulsen and will try to keep the discussion on topic. By repeatedly bringing the person back to such a key issue forces them to consider it in the light of their presuppositions.

Back