• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

General Keeping God at the center of the argument

The issue with Ezekiel 23 is that it's pretty much the nuclear option. There is a lot there and a well studied monogamist may get the meaning out of it but I have come in contact with glassy eyes trying to explain it to an average believer. They always fall back to, that was in the old testament. Using Ezekiel 23 and the parable of the 10 virgins to help bring the idea of polygamy into the modern world has helped me.

If a studied monogamist really would think he could easily say, based on Ezekiel 23 it would prove that polygamy is bad because even God had a dysfunctional marriage and they could say all because of polygamy. Just as eating the fruit was sin and bad so is polygamy, based on Eze 23. And God has a better place for marriage in monogamy. I mean really think about it, monogamous marriages have 50% chance of survival. Polygamous, I would say, 10%, if they get started at all, so Eze 23 is a hard place to use given the reality today.

What's hard to explain is the Eze 23 and Jeremiah 30, and 31 are designed for the future. It's hard to explain the concept of Israel and Judah, the third Temple, who is really a Jew, and all that, much less try and get a clear picture of polygamy without trying to pull the only real reference (10 virgins) in the new testemant into the discussion.

In the end, trying to shoot for a complete acceptance as the goal, but end up walking away friends agreeing to disagree is what it all ends up, and I think a good place. It's the discussions that end up were someone thinks polygamy is of the devil and they are going to do whatever it takes to destroy the polygamist thought is where things have failed miserably. I shoot for peace, especially with friends and family.

I hear ya, @Cap, but if you avoid the theological complexities of Ezekiel 23 ( and, as you pointed out, it has layers and abundant usefulness for deep truth) and, in the poly argument, just stick to 'God +2= righteous,' you may win the day... or at least induce @rockfox 's favorite mental disorder, CogDis.

If a studied monogamist really would think he could easily say, based on Ezekiel 23 it would prove that polygamy is bad because even God had a dysfunctional marriage and they could say all because of polygamy. Just as eating the fruit was sin and bad so is polygamy, based on Eze 23. And God has a better place for marriage in monogamy.

But after God got rid of Israel, He was in a monogamous marriage with Judah. And the result was worse!

The bad fruit argument is one that goes too far; by that measure we could condemn ALL marriage based on the results of monogamy around us.

But after God got rid of Israel, He was in a monogamous marriage with Judah. And the result was worse!

The bad fruit argument is one that goes too far; by that measure we could condemn ALL marriage based on the results of monogamy around us.

So technically it's God's fault. :cool: He picked His wives.

( I know that one will push you over the edge. Hahaha)

So let me ask you this do you think Jeremiah 3 and Ezekiel 23 are talking about the same wives or could He YaHWeH have a total of four wives.

Think about it in Jeremiah 3:8 KJV
And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also.

and in Ezekiel 23:4 KJV
And the names of them were Aholah the elder, and Aholibah her sister: and they were mine, and they bare sons and daughters. Thus were their names; Samaria is Aholah, and Jerusalem Aholibah.

Thanks to @Verifyveritas76 showing me Jeremiah 3.

Samaria is Israel, Jerusalem is Judah.
Remember it's an analogy, and the same thing can be referred to in different ways in different analogies.
Also, eventually all analogies break down when you push them too far. God didn't actually marry wives - but he represents himself by analogy as being married to two wives. This shows that God does not see polygamy as evil, as he would not represent himself as sinning. But it doesn't mean we should push to figure out the precise details of His relationship with different people groups from that analogy.

Samaria is Israel, Jerusalem is Judah.
Remember it's an analogy, and the same thing can be referred to in different ways in different analogies.
Also, eventually all analogies break down when you push them too far. God didn't actually marry wives - but he represents himself by analogy as being married to two wives. This shows that God does not see polygamy as evil, as he would not represent himself as sinning. But it doesn't mean we should push to figure out the precise details of His relationship with different people groups from that analogy.
Amen! Preach it brother. :)

Giving An Answer For What WE KNOW
Is Biblical And Teaching And Defending
And Arguing Are All Different Matters.
Apostle Paul Wrote : Do Not Argue About Words/Scripture ...
2nd. Timothy Ch.2:14

I Teach Leaders : (Scripture Can And Will Defend Itself).

In fact if I were debating about poly with someone and they started talking about the release from the law of the husband at death and the freedom for israel to remarry accomplished by Jesus death and resurrection then I would still be saying "hold on my whole point is that God is a polygamist and that means you should accept polygamy as from Him"
It was encouraging to read through this thread again in light of a recent conversation I had. While getting a haircut I was chatting with the woman whose husband is the barber. It isn't the first time I have chatted with her while her husband cuts my hair and she knows I am a Christian. And since I'm paying I'll talk about whatever I choose. I wanted to challenge this woman regarding her willingness (or lack thereof) to believe the Word of God over tradition so introduced the subject of men like King David having multiple wives. The key to the discussion was repeatedly refocusing her attention on the Bible and bringing her back to what is actually written. It doesn't seem to matter what passage one might turn to, the common response is to try to deflect away from that passage and onto something else. Upholding the authority of God's Word and who He is remains the fundamental battle. That battle started in the Garden and hasn't changed. It's no surprise the devil is just as successful today at getting people to follow their emotions and what will make them feel good as he was then.

Thanks for this thread @Paulsen, it is an encouraging read. Shalom

Back