• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

LAIR SNARE, or Are We at Risk of Exaggerating Our Own Supremacy?

Keith Martin

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
This is just something I've been thinking about from time to time: in our pursuits of both patriarchy and polygyny, are we in danger of falling into a self-induced trap that causes us to refuse real help from other men out of a fear that it will be interpreted -- by Yah; by other men -- as evidence of patriarchal insufficiency?

In other words, do we have to do everything ourselves in order to deserve additional wives or accolades from our fellow patriarchs?

Also, does this tendency to refuse to lean on other strong men lead us not only to limiting our actual potential but to devising false measures of our manhood so we can prove that we're in the running for Man of the Year?

Man, this is something God has done severe work on me through the years. I used to be very prideful about my independence. One year was so lean, I had no money in the bank and just enough change and cash laying around to get to a consult. But not enough money to buy fuel to return if the clients didn’t pay.

I’m not that stupid and proud anymore. Literally just got off the phone with a friend asking for his help.

Sawmill is being delivered tomorrow and I need another pair of eyes to check my thoughts on placement. I literally think this stuff through as a profession. Still asking for help. A wise man realizes there is wisdom in many counselors. He’s also not going to over extend and do more than he should.

A fool will drag his family down into poverty rather than humble himself when he needs help.

The lessons have been hard won but I hope I am more wise now than a decade ago.

Last edited:
I think the bigger risk in the context of this forum is that we may discourage others, who think they are not adequate. Because we talk about the things we do well, and don't talk of our failures. So over here there's a man talking about his great home food production, here's another talking about his ability to defend his family, another talking about fitness, another talking about his Godly children, and another discussing theology with great expertise. They all just seem awesome, so I must be a failure.

In reality, our patriarchal manliness may be less impressive than it sounds when we're describing it ourselves and focussing only on the good things we'd like to talk about, not the failures we'd be less inclined to mention.

A woman might be looking for a man so perfect he can fill the next vacancy in the Trinity. Might she think there are some potentials here? :)

So over here there's a man talking about his great home food production, here's another talking about his ability to defend his family, another talking about fitness, another talking about his Godly children, and another discussing theology with great expertise.
You’re too kind, I may sound like that but I feel mediocre at best. But if I’m impressively awesome then I suppose the most humble thing is to accept these accolades. So thank you!

I think the rest of the men on here are pretty great too. Albeit unlikely to have all those great characteristics as I do.

In all seriousness now. I’m appalled at how low my ability to do physical labor has declined. Is this what getting old is like?

In all seriousness now. I’m appalled at how low my ability to do physical labor has declined. Is this what getting old is like?
It seems to happen quite regularly.

I’m not a fan. I’d like to return this flesh for a more functional version please. Anybody know who I can speak to about this? I’d like my 19 year old body back.

Sorry, it’s in the contract.

If I’ve learned anything from both derailment of threads and leftists. I should continue this line of thinking and also pitch a fit demanding a new body.

I think it is important to recognize that quality patriarchy can't really happen in a vacuum. I.e., men need men around them. In Scripture we see even the 'Patriarchs' surrounded by patriarchal men... the way of men is the gang and tribal patriarchalism is Yah's design. Therefore, by definition, we don't have to be perfect or even good at everything, but we should be intentional about building our tribe/gang/community, etc...

And, just to throw bait, this is a topic that will be discussed formally at the upcoming Retreat...

It would be hard to exaggerate my supremacy. The rest of you sissies needs some serious help though.
Hmmm, we may need to return the baseball stat’s thread, choose which ones define an MVP and run the numbers.
You may very well be El Hombres Supremo, but I need to see the science.

Ps, I doubt that it is hard at all for you to exaggerate your supremacy. 😉

Hmmm, we may need to return the baseball stat’s thread, choose which ones define an MVP and run the numbers.
You may very well be El Hombres Supremo, but I need to see the science.

Ps, I doubt that it is hard at all for you to exaggerate your supremacy. 😉
Well of course I can exaggerate my supremacy. I’m supreme at everything.

Supreme or exaggerated at everything? 🤔

Supremely exaggerated

But with reason.

Related quote on Epoch Times email:

“The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.”​
RUDYARD KIPLING​

I’m not a fan. I’d like to return this flesh for a more functional version please. Anybody know who I can speak to about this? I’d like my 19 year old body back.
Sorry, it’s in the contract.
Or, as @steve and I would both say, wait until you're 68 and tell me what you think about wishing you could have your 19-year-old body back!

Back