• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Lashon Hara - Evil speech

I'm overjoyed that many in our community are interested in and considering this serious sin which most of us partake in daily.
I’m gonna be the stick in the mud, I guess and say that even going back to the start of the thread, I’ve yet to see any scripture or proof that Lashon Hara (when true) is a sin, much less a serious sin.

It’s a great? idea that appears to be completely at odds with how scripture presents history. By your own definition, scripture is guilty of this “sin” as it very blatantly tells us about multiple instances where the patriarchs and prophets failed in some way. Especially about instances like Jacob.
Sometimes truth hurts, but it’s hard to heal or correct something that’s hidden. And it’s hard to warn others if examples aren’t given. It’s also difficult to pretend credibility for someone who doesn’t want to take responsibility for their own actions or gloss over the actions of another because of a familial or other type relationship.

Last edited:
Teaching can be done by using anonymous examples. Today I was talking to our children about how few men would actually want another wife/woman because of the way so many women are. Free harlots....why buy the cow, or unfaithful after marriage.
We have a neighbor who's wife is looking for encounters in the BDSM world online while married, and might just decide to sue for divorce and take everything she can get. I said some men have wives like...... and described a woman looking to 'date' other men while married. Even though I think her reputation is garbage anyway, it seemed more respectful to her husband to not tell the kids about his wife.
I like the concept of considering the purpose and saying less, even if I think rules about it, beyond the golden rule, shouldn't be needed.

The problem is that the crazy ones are so much fun, for a while.
Which is why thinking through to the end result of any action is wise. A man contemplating an affair and faced with the chance might be repulsed if he thought about his wife finding out, the fall out and likely divorce, the expense and custody/child support. He may delude himself like the kid snitching cookies into thinking he won't get caught, but the man that is a realist would get over thinking that sounded fun before he acted on it.

A cute rhyme that is untrue says "A conscience is a kill joy it takes away the fun you had in doing something you shouldn't aught to have done"

I greatly prefer "The way of the transgressor is hard!"

Back