• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Long Hair Care... Need some help

Foxlily

Real Person*
Female
I am not a vain woman lol my sense of style is .. um pathetic to say the least. But I would like to grow my hair longer, it keeps breaking off and I get stalled out at the same length and thins out. I've been reading some things about hair care, moisturizing.. blah blah blah but I would love it if anyone has something they do that really works or maybe I'm the only one having problems.. lol

My hair seems healthy, soft and shiny but grrrr

The only hair products I use are shampoo and conditioner with keratin in them. No styling products. I've read some things I do probably cause problems but I don't think to the same degree others do. I've tried natural things like baking soda and vinegar.. I usually end up with a mess and yes I did them for a long period, months and was really struggling. Nor do i wash my hair every day. about every 3 depending on what I'm doing.

I don't think I'm pulling my hair out because of my kids.. hehehehehe

Sooo any tips I'd greatly appreciate it! Thank you!

My hair seems healthier and grows fast when I’m eating well, taking vitamins/supplements and stay hydrated. My hair has always grown fast- to my frustration. Prenatals and bone broth seem to cause my hair and nails to grow fast and strong. Be careful how you brush the ends and if you use heat to style us a heat protectant.... argon is my favorite
That’s about all I can think of for now.

My hair seems healthier and grows fast when I’m eating well, taking vitamins/supplements and stay hydrated. My hair has always grown fast- to my frustration. Prenatals and bone broth seem to cause my hair and nails to grow fast and strong. Be careful how you brush the ends and if you use heat to style us a heat protectant.... argon is my favorite
That’s about all I can think of for now.
I'm certainly taking prenatals right now lol I've gotten bad about bone broth.. I should make some again and just add it to my diet. I don't use heat on my hair other than the shower.. My nails grow awesome actually I could see the connection though..

rosemary helps if you add it to shampoo and conditioner. also what kind of hair ties do you use that could be a factor. braid your hair when damp....ummm once I started to cover my hair totally it broke less but it is not a thing for everyone :D

My hair has always been awful like that because of having children. When you're pregnant your hair stops falling out like it usually does, and it holds it all there until you're about 3 months PP and then out it all comes, which I'm sure you've experienced lol, it's so annoying! I don't know how close you've had your children, but I've had mine really close together, on average every 18 months, and I ended up with layers in my hair where it had fallen out and started to grow in again with each child. The ends always looked raggedy and horrible, the top very thick and unmanageable. I ended up having to chop off the ends quite a lot to make it much healthier and sort of start again. It's still long, but not as hugely long as it was.

I don't know if it is true or not but I heard a stylist for celebrities say that if you want long hair then you need to routinely get hair cuts to prevent split ends. He was saying that split ends go up the hair shaft and make them weaker so they are more likely to keep breaking each strand of hair. So if the hair is getting frequent trims (every 6-8 weeks), each strand of hair is able to remain strong and therefore able to grow to a longer length. But who knows, I only get a haircut about every two years lol.

only use shampoo when you need to, use conditioner every time, finish with a VERY cold water rinse on your hair, and get a very small amount trimmed off every like 8-10 weeks (like the smallest they can take off between like 1/16 and 1/8 of an inch)

Ok, I’ve had hair past my butt for most of my life, it’s short (shoulder length) right now but that’s because I had an “incident” happen. I know I’m going to sound like a total hippie but you’ve got to listen to your hair! What works for you isn’t going to work for others. Case in point, I can’t use keratin products because my hair gets brittle... I also can’t use too much coconut oil because it makes my hair weird. I do a deep condition and an oil treatments once a week (not at the same time, lol) because if I don’t then my hair gets super dry and frizzy. I have curly hair though, which actually requires extra maintenance if you’re going to grow it long! Argan oil is amazing, but coconut oil makes my hair feel weird. And I don’t shampoo more then once a week, but I have a dry scalp so that works for me, if you have an oily scalp then your routine is going to be different. ALSO, don’t use products that have sulfates, parabins, silicones or alcohols, because those dry your hair which inturn makes it easy to damage hair. Long hair takes work if it’s going to be healthy. What kind of hair do you have?

My hair is excessively long. Right now its 3/4 in. it takes so much work. I have it cut once a month and she doesn’t take much off probably 5/8 in. So it ends up between 1/8 in and 1/4 in after it’s cut.

Then when I wash it I use the best combination hair and body wash that I can find somewhere in the shower. It’s a struggle sometimes because there are usually about 5 other bottles of who knows what also in the shower.

Fixing it is such a trial I can’t even remember the last time I used a comb or brush. I have to do absolutely nothing to it because no matter what I do it looks exactly the same as it did before I started.

My hair is excessively long. Right now its 3/4 in. it takes so much work. I have it cut once a month and she doesn’t take much off probably 5/8 in. So it ends up between 1/8 in and 1/4 in after it’s cut.

Then when I wash it I use the best combination hair and body wash that I can find somewhere in the shower. It’s a struggle sometimes because there are usually about 5 other bottles of who knows what also in the shower.

Fixing it is such a trial I can’t even remember the last time I used a comb or brush. I have to do absolutely nothing to it because no matter what I do it looks exactly the same as it did before I started.
Same here. :cool:

Nathan has the same problem.

Then when I wash it I use the best combination hair and body wash that I can find somewhere in the shower.
I totally get it. Personally, I use the hair conditioning system called Irish Spring. It comes in a green box and is conveniently combined into a one step method. Cleans and conditions in one step. It’s amazing!!

OMG, that's the funniest thing I've read in a while. rotfl

Had a similar conversation last Shabbat over dinner. I offered that my hair is such a challenge I've stuck with the same basic style for the last 25 years. The mere idea of changing is debilitating. My wife? Every 3-6 months she has to wrestle through what new look she wants... seems so exhausting. And the everchanging care requirements? Whew.

Just give me a towel and a brush... I can 'do my hair' in less than 30 seconds... :D

What kind of hair do you have?

Straight. Very straight. lol And stops at the top of my lower back. It LOOKS healthy shine wise and such but it just keeps breaking off making heaps of whispies and thinning it out not from actual hairloss though. I don't bother using a curling iron on it because it doesn't hold curls for nothing using heat. Actually the best way for me to get any wave in it is to braid it wet but generally I just don't bother lol

Just give me a towel and a brush... I can 'do my hair' in less than 30 seconds... :D

You guys are absolutely hilarious! lol I don't change my hairstyle lol just trying to make it nicer and longer for rockfox lol I don't even have a blow dryer lol Your "hair dilemma" posts are absolutely rattling my funny bone today!

This freakin guy! Lols :rolleyes::p

#BFmen

Shoot, my beard is longer than some ladies hair.

My hair, though. Oy ve!
Nazarite with a monk’s tonsure.

Back