• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Long Hair Care... Need some help

Funny guys. My hubby would like my hair longer, but as long as I don't chop it off he's happy enough with it.
I don't worry about a new look.
0Then too I think it's interesting that all my guys that like long hair on girls complain about how hot their head gets, how much shampoo it takes to wash their hair, and that their hats don't fit when they need less then an inch removed.

0Then too I think it's interesting that all my guys that like long hair on girls complain about how hot their head gets, how much shampoo it takes to wash their hair, and that their hats don't fit when they need less then an inch removed.
The struggle is real.

You men are funny!

@Foxlily I was a barber stylist and have over 25 years of experience. All of the ladies have given very good advise. I would suggest a trim (dusting) every 4-6 weeks. I use to do my daughters hair on the full moon because it helped us remember.
I would also suggest not washing your hair but once a week. I know that sounds crazy to many, but we really do wash our hair far to often. Many say their hair gets oily if they don't. There is a transition phase your hair will go through if you do get oily. After a month or so you will actually see a big difference. Please don't use baking soda and vinegar every washing, once a month at most is good.
Rosemary essential oil in distilled water is great! I spray my hair daily.

Anyway I hope that helps. Enjoy the journey

I wash my hair twice at best.

Thank you for the info all of you! I've done a few changes and am seeing difference. My job does make a need for me to wash my hair due to powdered ingredients sooo once a week isn't quite enough.

@Patricia C ...for the days during the transition how would you deal with the oily hair? I have heard of using baby powder. I wash mine every other day I do believe that is too much but my head will itch if I try to go longer. Any suggestions?

@Patricia C ...for the days during the transition how would you deal with the oily hair? I have heard of using baby powder. I wash mine every other day I do believe that is too much but my head will itch if I try to go longer. Any suggestions?
Mary, have you ever used a dry shampoo? I don't suggest baby powder however have you tried lightly dusting just your scalp with baking soda and then use a blow drier and swiftly brush your hair out. Most of the time you can just wet your hair in the shower instead of washing. When you wash your hairs natural oils out the oil glands work harder to produce oil making your hair oily. By slowing down how often you wash your hair you actually get your oil glands to slow down production.
I have used Seabreaz in a fine mist spray bottle and a damp wash cloth on the crown of my head when I get itchy. But don't do it to often or you just defeat the purpose. Let me know how it goes if you decide to try any of the suggestions

I am not a vain woman lol my sense of style is .. um pathetic to say the least. But I would like to grow my hair longer, it keeps breaking off and I get stalled out at the same length and thins out. I've been reading some things about hair care, moisturizing.. blah blah blah but I would love it if anyone has something they do that really works or maybe I'm the only one having problems.. lol

My hair seems healthy, soft and shiny but grrrr

The only hair products I use are shampoo and conditioner with keratin in them. No styling products. I've read some things I do probably cause problems but I don't think to the same degree others do. I've tried natural things like baking soda and vinegar.. I usually end up with a mess and yes I did them for a long period, months and was really struggling. Nor do i wash my hair every day. about every 3 depending on what I'm doing.

I don't think I'm pulling my hair out because of my kids.. hehehehehe

Sooo any tips I'd greatly appreciate it! Thank you!

I have long hair and have really not done a lot to care for it accept I do wash it often,eat very healthy and I do take juice plus. I have become an advocate of bristle brushes instead of plastic or Nikon etc and unless parting it I never comb it as it seems to break it I also only use my dryers in emergencies
Hope this helps

Ok, I’ve had hair past my butt for most of my life, it’s short (shoulder length) right now but that’s because I had an “incident” happen. I know I’m going to sound like a total hippie but you’ve got to listen to your hair! What works for you isn’t going to work for others. Case in point, I can’t use keratin products because my hair gets brittle... I also can’t use too much coconut oil because it makes my hair weird. I do a deep condition and an oil treatments once a week (not at the same time, lol) because if I don’t then my hair gets super dry and frizzy. I have curly hair though, which actually requires extra maintenance if you’re going to grow it long! Argan oil is amazing, but coconut oil makes my hair feel weird. And I don’t shampoo more then once a week, but I have a dry scalp so that works for me, if you have an oily scalp then your routine is going to be different. ALSO, don’t use products that have sulfates, parabins, silicones or alcohols, because those dry your hair which inturn makes it easy to damage hair. Long hair takes work if it’s going to be healthy. What kind of hair do you have?

I am in full agreement with @rustysdove11 i have tried many many different things on my hair. (High end products, to no poo) But, recently (last 3 months) I have tried the curly girl method. I don’t use parabins , silicones, sulfates or alcohols in my hair products. (Which shockingly enough doesn’t cost more than most of my past hair products.) I only wash my hair about once a week with a shampoo (still keeping within the guidelines) If I need an extra wash during the week I wash with conditioner. We live in a very dry climate so I always have a leave in conditioner and vitamin E/Almond oil for just the tips. My hair has had a terrible time growing the last few years until I started this. It’s noticeable!! And it feels moisturized and is healthy with a lot less spit ends. Good luck on your hair journey!! It’s like life. We are all different and it’s all about trial and error and learning from your “mistakes”.

Use products for the scalp only. The hair is only alive from the root inwards. If the hair is damaged, the right thing to do is to cut it.
There is no way to restore or nourish something dead.

Since I became a vegetarian, my skin's appearance has improved and my hair has grown healthier.

Back