• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Martin Luther

We can all be a bit "stiff-necked", Rusty. I for one, am thankful to be grafted in.

Baruch haba b'shem Adonai,

Mark

Hello to All,

I have been viewing this site for about three months now and this topic was perfect for me to introduce myself. I speak pretty simply and this is the first site I have ever posted a response, so please bear with me.

Obviously, from my name you can tell that I'm Lutheran. To be honest, I didn't know how Martin Luther felt about the Jewish people. I don't have any Jewish friends but would love to. All I know about Jewish people is from the books that I've read or documentaries about the Holocost Survivors. From what I gather is that Jewish people really know there stuff when it comes to the Old Testment. I would love to have that much discpline to remember all the wonderful Scriptures from that part of the Bible. If Christian and Jewish people could get it together on both The Old Testment and The New Testment what an outstanding relationship that would be.

I don't have very many "religious" friends that like discussing the Bible, so I find this site very fulfilling. I'm constantly trying to improve my knowledge about Scripture even though I'm kinda older (the big 40).

God's Blessings,

Michelle

lutherangirl said:
Hello to All,

I have been viewing this site for about three months now and this topic was perfect for me to introduce myself. I speak pretty simply and this is the first site I have ever posted a response, so please bear with me.

Obviously, from my name you can tell that I'm Lutheran. To be honest, I didn't know how Martin Luther felt about the Jewish people. I don't have any Jewish friends but would love to. All I know about Jewish people is from the books that I've read or documentaries about the Holocost Survivors. From what I gather is that Jewish people really know there stuff when it comes to the Old Testment. I would love to have that much discpline to remember all the wonderful Scriptures from that part of the Bible. If Christian and Jewish people could get it together on both The Old Testment and The New Testment what an outstanding relationship that would be.

I don't have very many "religious" friends that like discussing the Bible, so I find this site very fulfilling. I'm constantly trying to improve my knowledge about Scripture even though I'm kinda older (the big 40).

God's Blessings,

Michelle

Welcome, Michelle
I hope you didn't find my vigorous prosecution of my particular view too offputting. Of course Lutherans are not Jew haters any more than Jews are Christ killers. Many modern Jews do understand that one of the signs of the Messiah's return is when Jew's and Christians worship together, and I know of at least one elderly Jew who walked into a Hebrew Christian fellowship, saw Jew and gentile worshipping together, and was convinced that the Messiah had come. Yeah, if we ever all get on the same page, Satan and the world would quiver!

And I had already hit the big four-oh when Messiah said "follow me!" ... it is never too late, hey? :)
~ Rusty

Rusty,

Thank you for the welcome. No, you weren't offputting at all. Yes, that would be a great day to make 'Satan and the world quiver'!

What is Jews for Jesus all about? Is this offensive to you?

Michelle

Welcome, Michelle. Hope you find this site educational and rewarding.

And, BTW - the "big 4-0" is not old... ;)

Blessings,

Mark

lutherangirl said:
Rusty,

Thank you for the welcome. No, you weren't offputting at all. Yes, that would be a great day to make 'Satan and the world quiver'!

What is Jews for Jesus all about? Is this offensive to you?

Michelle

No, I am not offended at all. Jews for Jesus is primarily interested in carrying the gospel to the Jewish community, and though I am personally acquainted with its founder, Moishe Rosen, I am not a member of that group. They recieve tremendous persecution that has gone largely unnoticed by their Christian brothers, and I am embarassed to admit that I am not up to that standard of worthiness.

I think that the only ones who get outraged over Jews for Jesus are some main stream denominations that have taken a stand on the wrong side of the issue, and a few religous Jews.

~Rusty

Mark C,

Thank for the welcome. Also, thanks for saying that 40 is not old. I don't feel old but compared to today's standards; I'm old.

God's Blessings,

Michelle

Rusty,

Thanks for the info. I will have to do some research myself. What did you mean by 'worithness'?

How do you highlight a quote from a response, so I don't misquote anyone? Remember, I'm new to all this posting, viewing, etc.

Michelle

lutherangirl said:
Rusty,

Thanks for the info. I will have to do some research myself. What did you mean by 'worithness'?

How do you highlight a quote from a response, so I don't misquote anyone? Remember, I'm new to all this posting, viewing, etc.

Michelle

You can select the red (quote) button at the top of the comments and it will automatically put the quote brackets around the qoute. After you get a little skilled at it, you can type quote in brackets at the start of the part you want to cite, then /quote in brackets at the end.

The worthiness comment comes from the book of Acts: "The apostles left the Sanhedrin, rejoicing because they had been counted worthy of suffering disgrace for the Name. " I don't consider myself worthy enough to go before my Jewish brothers with the good news such as the Jews for Jesus people do.

Rusty,

Thanks for the info on the quote thing. I will try it when I get more confident.

If you wanted to go before your Jewish brothers of course you are worthy. As Joel Olsteen would say, "You are a child of the Most High God."

Michelle

Welcome Michelle,

Plese do not be offended, but I am curious as to what God is telling the Lutherans that you would be here? :D I have known some Lutherans who are wonderful people, but they seemed very mainstream, though I cannot speak for the group in general of ccourse. BTW, you are a youngster. :lol: Please stick around. We need to hear what God is telling you. All kidding aside, I truly am interested.

Be blessed,

Dr. Ray

Dr. Ray,

Thanks for making me so LOL! I know to top it all off I'm the church secretary at my LCMS church, and my uncle is a missionary. Both parties would probably have me excommunicated if they knew I was even viewing this site.

I was in a very bad place in my life a few years ago and started searching the Bible for answers. I have always been a free-thinker compared to my Lutheran brothers and sisters in Christ and very open to others way of life without being so judgmental. I feel my job is to tell them about our Lord and Savior JC, but it is up to the Holy Spirit to work on their heart.

My daughter started attending a Free Methodist school that had a wonderful praise service, and I realized there are other forms of worship. Then I started watching Big Love and didn't see a problem with it. I can't seem to find in the Bible were it is condoned and don't know why it is illegal.

What Church do you belong too?

I'm being to like this site more now that others have said 40s not old!

God's Blessings,

Michelle

I'm being to like this site more now that others have said 40s not old!
'Cause it's NOT, of course... ;)

...I can't seem to find in the Bible were it is condoned and don't know why it is illegal.

It's not only condoned --

(Exodus 21, among many others. You can find lots of examples throughout the Bible, and in articles like you'll find here and elsewhere, too. Most of us are happy to answer questions, of course) --

it can be required under certain specific circumstances (there are at least three that are easy to show). God calls Himself a polygynist via two prophets (Ezekiel and Jeremiah) and gives David multiple wives, then says He "would have given" more. Even Yeshua/Jesus tells the story of the ten virgins, five of whom become brides.

As a friend of mine once observed, "God doesn't give rules for doing things He prohibits."

In my own case, it was realizing that what I had been told the Bible said was not necessarily what was REALLY in there that encouraged me to read and study for myself, and ultimately to recognize Him for Who He Is.

Blessings,

Mark

PS> And as a cynic I've always suspected that it's "illegal" for the same reason that praying in Caesar's schools is, and teaching certain un-PC verses is, or will soon be. Something about calling "evil", good...

...I can't seem to find in the Bible were it is condoned and don't know why it is illegal.

Correct me if I'm wrong Michelle, but Mark I think she meant 'condemned', not condoned. Just a typo?

Anyway Michelle, I am what you might call a 'non-denominational Christian'. God started a small home church in my house in Overland Park, Kansas along about 2002, after my pastor died. For a time, we even met daily and pooled our resources so that those who lacked did not and there was more than enough for all. All of the people gradually walked away from the group as God showed us the need for perfection in Christ, which is the main message that God has given me, (see the web site - http://www.perfectchristian.110mb.com). The finality for the group came when God revealed to us the details of Isaiah chapter 4 and that it will be a real situation, not just 'spiritual' as I originally thought. Once God spoke this directly to the people and eventually through my wife, (who is a prophet by gifting) as well as myself, (though I was the last to speak it, as I did not want people to think I was just trying to get more wives). That was the straw that broke the camel's back and everyone else left. God then had my wife and I sell most of our belongings and move to South Africa, (where my wife is from) in February, 2006. Here I have completed a book on perfection in Christ, done several more teachings for God and built a web site for people to freely access the book and teachings. I have set up the ministry in our home here and so far though many have come and gone, I have one faithful disciple whose life has been completely turned around through the principles that God teaches through me. His name is Vivian. When I met Viv, he was in debt, had diabetes and his marriage was on the rocks. After 34 years as a Christian, he did not even know his ministry gift. Within minutes of meeting him, God told me he was a prophet and I relayed the message. This was over two years ago. Now he is out of debt, has extra money, is healed of his diabetes and his marriage is restored. He is functioning as a prophet of God and intervening in a positive way in people's lives, preaching God's Word wherever he goes. These are the things that God is doing through untrained people like me all over the world. I came to this web site by God's direction and have met several wonderful Spirit-filled people of God here. One powerful man of God was sick when I came on here. Through the principles that God taught me about 'the truth about healing', he has accepted them and is himself being healed. Though most of my communications with this man I have keep private, you can read some about it in the section 'Challenge #2'. I hope he will write a full testimony when his healing is complete.

This section on 'Biblical issues' in particular has been challenging and rewarding for me. Thank you for becoming a part of it. I pray that God will have you and others continue to participate here and help us all come into unity in the Spirit of God that crosses all man-made denominational boundaries.

Be blessed,

Dr. Ray

LutheranGirl,

Just to throw the question back at you, what synod do you belong to? There are some very large core doctrinal differences between Lutheran groups.

Mark C said:
PS> And as a cynic I've always suspected that it's "illegal" for the same reason that praying in Caesar's schools is, and teaching certain un-PC verses is, or will soon be. Something about calling "evil", good...

Mark C,

Please excuse my typos. I proofread all day long at work five days a week, so I just like to type and be free to make mistakes on my down time. Yeah, prayer is still at our church/preschool. I love walking down the hall and hearing the preschoolers say the Plede to both the American and Christian Flag and saying the Lord's Prayer during snack.

Plus I served five years in the United States Air Force, so I'm pretty patriotic. Although I love the USA, I don't like the whole clash of State vs Church issues.

Michelle
P.S. I hope I did the quote thing correctly

Tlaloc said:
LutheranGirl,

Just to throw the question back at you, what synod do you belong to? There are some very large core doctrinal differences between Lutheran groups.

Tlaloc,

I belong to the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS), which is still pretty conservative, but the Wisconsin Synod is still the most conservative. The LCMS church will allow women to vote at meetings, but are not allowed to be Pastors, Elders or Communion Assistants. Basically,anything that has to go with "authority over men" (1 Timothy 2:11) is not allowed. The Wisconsin Synod believes this along with they don't allow women a vote a voters meetings. Those are the biggest differences.

These are the two that I'm most familiar with. I think the American Lutheran Church and ELCA allows women to be Pastors. Someone correct me please if I'm misquoting.

What church do you belong too?

Michelle

Although I love the USA, I don't like the whole clash of State vs Church issues.

Yeah, I used to joke about that, in a serious sort of way, by reminding people that the famous (but bogus) "separation of church and state" is right there in the Constitution next to where it says the form of government is "democracy".

On the other hand, however, the first century churches got in trouble with Rome because they took the Savior at His Word, and knew that if they took Caesar's provision and covering, they'd end up belonging to Caesar as well.

Blessings,
Mark

Thanks for geting back to me Lutherengirl, I had computer issues and was offline so I did not get back to you in a timely fasion. My mom is in the Wisconsin synod herself.

I attend a baptist church where women vote, but are not allowed in eldership roles, so its on par with you're synod for women in the church. I prefer that women can vote, as meeting issues are usually concerning buisness and not church leadership, and its good and well to have women take part of civil leadership.

Back