• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Modern Day Circumcision Not the Same as Ancient?

I’m sorry to hear about what happened with your father and mother.

Years ago a friend of mine got into his first relationship and he lost his virginity. I remember he mentioned that sex is very over-rated in terms of sexual sensation. His relationship with that girlfriend did not last very long either, and he’s also circumcised. I think at least some men may blame their partner - and want to experiment with new partners - not knowing the true culprit may actually be the very excessive foreskin circumcision that removed a lot of their sensitivity/nerves. They simply don’t connect the dots, and it’s not easy to either. Not many people talk about this, and too many parents blindly put their faith in the “science” behind the excessive circumcision - without actually looking deeper into it. I hope after the whole covid vaccine fiasco - people will begin to question more. In my haste I said - all men are liars. Psalms 116:11.
Alright, I’m calling bullshit. This has come up here before. It’s a completely unfalsifiable claim so on its face it’s a ridiculous discussion, but exactly where is the biblically prescribed method of circumcision? What verse tells us how much foreskin to remove?

@The Revolting Man, there is no biblically prescribed method of circumcision. All methods are therefore valid under the Law.

Historically speaking though, there is plenty of evidence that circumcision as actually practiced in the Old Testament was generally less severe than today. For just one example, 1 Maccabees 1:14-15 states that as part of the Jew's apostasy (and note that I am using this as history, not scripture, so we don't need to debate whether it's biblical, I'm not saying this is biblical):
So they built a gymnasium in Jerusalem according to the laws of the Gentiles. They made themselves uncircumcised, forsook the holy covenant, joined themselves to the Gentiles, and sold themselves to do evil.
Gymnasiums were a place where men did sporting things completely naked. They were also hotbeds of homosexuality. But as men were naked, it was obvious if they were circumcised. The Jewish men who wanted to get involved in this though had enough of a foreskin left that they were able to "make themselves uncircumcised" - do something with it to look uncircumcised like the Greeks.

The medical techniques used to stretch the remaining foreskin to regrow it to the original length are well documented by ancient authors, and widely discussed in both theological, historical and medical circles. For example, here is a modern medical paper in a plastic surgery journal that discusses these ancient techniques:
This is not "bullshit", it is not an "unfalsifiable claim" - it is backed by substantial historical documentation. It's just a historical fact. Of course you're welcome to ignore all this history if you want to role reverse with @Earth_is- and have him be the person presenting real history and you be the person pretending history doesn't exist, if you like, that would be amusing for the rest of us! :)

@The Revolting Man, there is no biblically prescribed method of circumcision. All methods are therefore valid under the Law.

Historically speaking though, there is plenty of evidence that circumcision as actually practiced in the Old Testament was generally less severe than today. For just one example, 1 Maccabees 1:14-15 states that as part of the Jew's apostasy (and note that I am using this as history, not scripture, so we don't need to debate whether it's biblical, I'm not saying this is biblical):

Gymnasiums were a place where men did sporting things completely naked. They were also hotbeds of homosexuality. But as men were naked, it was obvious if they were circumcised. The Jewish men who wanted to get involved in this though had enough of a foreskin left that they were able to "make themselves uncircumcised" - do something with it to look uncircumcised like the Greeks.

The medical techniques used to stretch the remaining foreskin to regrow it to the original length are well documented by ancient authors, and widely discussed in both theological, historical and medical circles. For example, here is a modern medical paper in a plastic surgery journal that discusses these ancient techniques:
This is not "bullshit", it is not an "unfalsifiable claim" - it is backed by substantial historical documentation. It's just a historical fact. Of course you're welcome to ignore all this history if you want to role reverse with @Earth_is- and have him be the person presenting real history and you be the person pretending history doesn't exist, if you like, that would be amusing for the rest of us! :)
Then @Earth_is- needs to amend his posts to remove the references to the biblically prescribed amount of foreskin to take as you have acknowledged there is no such thing. He made that false claim multiple times.

Then you need to stop being dishonest and accusing me of opposing the alleged “history”. I said nothing about the history . I asked for the scripture. You want to talk about the history because you know there’s no scripture. Instead of just making the argument that tradition and history offer overwhelming evidence, you attempted snide sarcasm. Again. It’s to your credit that you do it so poorly but if you keep practicing then one day you might succeed.

And lastly, yes, the claim that a “modern” circumcision has some deleterious effect on a man is completely unfalsifiable. It’s impossible to know how the alternative would have turned out and as is there is so much variability between individuals, post facto comparison are meaningless.

The only argument I find even remotely credible are the anecdotal reports of adult circumcisions, but even those are pretty weak sauce.

Then @Earth_is- needs to amend his posts to remove the references to the biblically prescribed amount of foreskin to take as you have acknowledged there is no such thing. He made that false claim multiple times.

Then you need to stop being dishonest and accusing me of opposing the alleged “history”. I said nothing about the history . I asked for the scripture. You want to talk about the history because you know there’s no scripture. Instead of just making the argument that tradition and history offer overwhelming evidence, you attempted snide sarcasm. Again. It’s to your credit that you do it so poorly but if you keep practicing then one day you might succeed.

And lastly, yes, the claim that a “modern” circumcision has some deleterious effect on a man is completely unfalsifiable. It’s impossible to know how the alternative would have turned out and as is there is so much variability between individuals, post facto comparison are meaningless.

The only argument I find even remotely credible are the anecdotal reports of adult circumcisions, but even those are pretty weak sauce.
You’re welcome to visit the Reddit for “foreskin restoration.” It has 31k members. There’s literally hundreds - if not thousands - of people on there that manually grew back most of their foreskin, and they all attest that the changes in sexual sensation/orgasm was a night and day difference. Some that had ongoing relationships reported that it also improved their relationships as the increased foreskin made it much more pleasurable for the women too.

Moses’ wife was able to circumcise her son with a sharp stone. Acts 16:3 - Paul circumcised Timothy. Abraham circumcised his own sons. Today we have doctors that have to get it done. When before it seemed like anyone was able to get it done - which implies it was a much less serious circumcision - leaving much more of the foreskin intact - which is beneficial for sexual function. The level of foreskin a person has ranges from C-0 to C-10. Most people circumcised today are between C-0 to C-2. What level did Abraham or Moses’ wife cut their sons to? I don’t know. But I extremely doubt they cut it all the way down to even a CI-5. You can look up online in 2d drawings of the different foreskin levels. Many people start to report improvements in sexual function at the CI-3/CI-4 level on that Reddit.

Why would the Creator design man so superbly in this aspect, and then expect him to sacrifice that divinely constructed aspect of his anatomy; which was made to maximize the pleasure of the marital union? Does it make more sense that Satan - the ancient serpent - saw an opportunity to add to the circumcision and make it a much more significant operation; thereby hurting the martial union?

Last edited:
You’re welcome to visit the Reddit for “foreskin restoration.” It has 31k members. There’s literally hundreds - if not thousands - of people on there that manually grew back most of their foreskin, and they all attest that the changes in sexual sensation/orgasm was a night and day difference. Some that had ongoing relationships reported that it also improved their relationships as the increased foreskin made it much more pleasurable for the women too.

Moses’ wife was able to circumcise her son with a sharp stone. Acts 16:3 - Paul circumcised Timothy. Abraham circumcised his own sons. Today we have doctors that have to get it done. When before it seemed like anyone was able to get it done - which implies it was a much less serious circumcision - leaving much more of the foreskin intact - which is beneficial for sexual function. The level of foreskin a person has ranges from C-0 to C-10. Most people circumcised today are between C-0 to C-2. What level did Abraham or Moses’ wife cut their sons to? I don’t know. But I extremely doubt they cut it all the way down to even a CI-5. You can look up online in 2d drawings of the different foreskin levels. Many people start to report improvements in sexual function at the CI-3/CI-4 level on that Reddit.

Why would the Creator design man so superbly in this aspect, and then expect him to sacrifice that divinely constructed aspect of his anatomy; which was made to maximize the pleasure of the marital union? Does it make more sense that Satan - the ancient serpent - saw an opportunity to add to the circumcision and make it a much more significant operation; thereby hurting the martial union?
That wasn’t a retraction of your false statements that a biblically mandated amount of foreskin to remove exists. It does not. You need to retract those false statements.

I appreciate your bait and switch of a sub-Reddit, I’m sure it’s very trustworthy and completely scholarly. I doubt there’s any self selection going on with men who are so obsessed with their foreskin that the spend time stretching it. I’m sure there’s no fetishistic behavior going on there at all. After all, it’s Reddit. Who can question that? It’s not scripture though.

You said that modern circumcisions violated biblical mandates. We now know that is false. You spread falsehoods about the Bible. That requires a very robust apology. I’m sure you’re a Reddit expert. I won’t question your knowledge there.

I believe that the Creator knew what He was doing when He made the human body. It is designed to work best the way that He made Adam. Unless we are to claim that He made a mistake and told Abraham how to fix it.

Circumcision is a form of sacrifice. It removes part of the body that does have a purpose, it is giving up something to God that truly had value - that is why it is meaningful. Likewise, fasting is a form of sacrifice - it is hard because it means going without something that is truly good and pleasurable - food.

The foreskin has a clear anatomical role in sexual pleasure, it is medically and logically obvious that removing it will adversely impact sexual pleasure, and every adult I have heard who has changed it one way or the other during adulthood testifies to this. That is not to say that circumcision is bad, any more than the fact that hunger is not nice means that fasting is bad. It's just the underlying facts that lie behind the theological meaning.
you attempted snide sarcasm
I apologise for the sarcasm, it was uncalled for.

That wasn’t a retraction of your false statements that a biblically mandated amount of foreskin to remove exists. It does not. You need to retract those false statements.

I appreciate your bait and switch of a sub-Reddit, I’m sure it’s very trustworthy and completely scholarly. I doubt there’s any self selection going on with men who are so obsessed with their foreskin that the spend time stretching it. I’m sure there’s no fetishistic behavior going on there at all. After all, it’s Reddit. Who can question that? It’s not scripture though.

You said that modern circumcisions violated biblical mandates. We now know that is false. You spread falsehoods about the Bible. That requires a very robust apology. I’m sure you’re a Reddit expert. I won’t question your knowledge there.
The two Hebrew words used to describe Old Testament circumcision are namal & muwl. Namal means “clipped,” like you might clip your fingernails. The word muwl means “to curtail, to blunt, to cut shorter.” There are totally different words used in Hebrew for “cut off” or “removed.”

Modern day circumcision is essentially cutting off your foreskin down to little to nothing. It’s absolutely not biblical - because to “cut off” is different than “clip off or to cut shorter.” The latter implies there is foreskin left - unlike the modern circumcision. Therefore I will not be making retractions, since the Word of God aligns with the modern circumcision being excessive. I’m not advocating someone to regrow their foreskin. There are more important things. But it’s possible to go back to a more biblical circumcision if someone wishes to do so.

The two Hebrew words used to describe Old Testament circumcision are namal & muwl. Namal means “clipped,” like you might clip your fingernails. The word muwl means “to curtail, to blunt, to cut shorter.” There are totally different words used in Hebrew for “cut off” or “removed.”

Modern day circumcision is essentially cutting off your foreskin down to little to nothing. It’s absolutely not biblical - because to “cut off” is different than “clip off or to cut shorter.” The latter implies there is foreskin left - unlike the modern circumcision. Therefore I will not be making retractions, since the Word of God aligns with the modern circumcision being excessive. I’m not advocating someone to regrow their foreskin. There are more important things. But it’s possible to go back to a more biblical circumcision if someone wishes to do so.
Alright, just to recap: you claim that there is a biblically mandated amount of foreskin to be removed based on English translations of Hebrew words you don’t actually understand?

That is about as close to misleading as one can be can not actually stray over the line. I think you should stay on Reddit and leave the Bible study for serious minded people. You clearly only consider the text as a vehicle for your own bizarre narrative fantasies.

For anyone who thinks I’m being too harsh, I’ve interacted with this individual on another forum and his textual gyrations were even more egregious there.

If experience that includes remembered adult functionality is weak sauce, what exactly is an opinion worth that literally has no memory of any other reality or contrast?
I was done at birth as were all seven of my sons. It seems to have worked out fine.
How many of those sons are married?

Lastly, even if all of them, like you, have no complaints, they would still all be opinions that are not fully informed.

I'm glad you're happy. So are all the men I am aware of that are not cut.

I believe that the Creator knew what He was doing when He made the human body. It is designed to work best the way that He made Adam. Unless we are to claim that He made a mistake and told Abraham how to fix it.

Circumcision is a form of sacrifice. It removes part of the body that does have a purpose, it is giving up something to God that truly had value - that is why it is meaningful. Likewise, fasting is a form of sacrifice - it is hard because it means going without something that is truly good and pleasurable - food.

The foreskin has a clear anatomical role in sexual pleasure, it is medically and logically obvious that removing it will adversely impact sexual pleasure, and every adult I have heard who has changed it one way or the other during adulthood testifies to this. That is not to say that circumcision is bad, any more than the fact that hunger is not nice means that fasting is bad. It's just the underlying facts that lie behind the theological meaning.

I apologise for the sarcasm, it was uncalled for.
It always blows my mind when you go off into left field. You’re normally so calm and logical and then weird stuff just sends you off like a bottle rocket.
that the Creator knew what He was doing when He made the human body.
And He didn’t put any restrictions or limits or instructions around circumcision. Are you saying He left something out…..?
Unless we are to claim that He made a mistake and told Abraham how to fix it.
You’re saying He made a mistake by not limiting the practice.
it is medically and logically obvious that removing it will adversely impact sexual pleasure,
It is not at all logically obvious. The one time I waded through the disturbing numbers of penis pictures it took to try and prove it was logical I was left thinking how illogical it was. And how long has it been since medical personnel were trustworthy? You do know who pushes this tripe right? The origins of anti-circumcision crusade is with feminists and secularists. You’re siding with the morons.
That is not to say that circumcision is bad
If what you’re saying is true then how could circumcision not be bad? At least have the strength of your convictions. The whole push of this thread is that modern circumcision is unbiblical and harmful to men and even marriages. We even had @Joleneakamama makknf one of her rare illogical statements by blaming the failure of her parent’s 35 year marriage on a circumcision. I’m sorry @Joleneakamama but uncircumcised people get divorced too. If any of this thread were true then of course modern circumcision is bad. Have a backbone.
apologise for the sarcasm, it was uncalled for.
And the accusation of disputing “history”?

If experience that includes remembered adult functionality is weak sauce, what exactly is an opinion worth that literally has no memory of any other reality or contrast?

Lastly, even if all of them, like you, have no complaints, they would still all be opinions that are not fully informed.

I'm glad you're happy. So are all the men I am aware of that are not cut.
How many of your sons are married? My sons are 23 to 2 so no one is panicking here yet.

Remember here people, the circumcisions of Shechem’s people debilitated them for days and circumcision was always supposed to be a sign of set apartness, ostensibly someone might be required show proof of their obedience. If “biblical” circumcisions aren’t even detectable if the member in question isn’t erect, then that kind of begs the question of what the point is? And who is and how are they doing the verification? That would be an awkward job.

There is nothing logical about this bizarre idea and something a little disturbing and frankly suspect about a man who puts this much thought into other men’s penis’.

This is nuts. Are you claiming there are marriage rates disparities between circumcised and uncircumcised men? Higher divorce rates? Do you have any data?

I know an uncircumcised child molester. Can I claim uncircumcision leads to pedophilia?

You’re a smart woman Jolene but I’m afraid on this issue your judgement is clouded by your other beliefs surrounding the Jews.

This is nuts. Are you claiming there are marriage rates disparities between circumcised and uncircumcised men? Higher divorce rates? Do you have any data?

I know an uncircumcised child molester. Can I claim uncircumcision leads to pedophilia?

You’re a smart woman Jolene but I’m afraid on this issue your judgement is clouded by your other beliefs surrounding the Jews.
I only meant to point out that one part of the study above was about how complete foreskin removal impacted the sexual pleasure of the man's partner. In the case of your sons they are not married and so don't have one. In the case of my parents, it seems that my mom's experience was not very positive....and that lead to very little intimacy for 20 years preceding their divorce....something that my sis and I cannot imagine.

I only meant to point out that one part of the study above was about how complete foreskin removal impacted the sexual pleasure of the man's partner. In the case of your sons they are not married and so don't have one. In the case of my parents, it seems that my mom's experience was not very positive....and that lead to very little intimacy for 20 years preceding their divorce....something that my sis and I cannot imagine.
It’s also something my wife can’t imagine so there may be other factors.

@The Revolting Man, you appear to be thinking that I am saying modern circumcision is wrong, or sinful. I am not. I have specifically stated that it is permissible, when I said:
You are getting all worked up about defending the method of circumcision that you have received and have personally used on your sons. I appreciate that you don't want anyone telling you that you made the wrong decision - and I am not saying that. I'm not against you.

I am examining the historical reality of practices over time, and there is an enormous amount of information on that, it is very clear that what is done at present is not what was done during Biblical times but is based on later Jewish custom. That doesn't mean it's wrong - but does mean it's beyond what is strictly necessary for someone wishing to follow the Law (given that scripture does not specifically require this form meaning that lesser forms are also valid under the Law). This is an interesting theological discussion of great relevance to anyone considering what to do with this contentious issue - in other words, everyone with sons. It is not an attack on you.
You do know who pushes this tripe right? The origins of anti-circumcision crusade is with feminists and secularists. You’re siding with the morons.
Here you are reading American culture into my statements and getting completely the wrong idea as a result. Circumcision is only a dominant practice in the USA, meaning you get anti-circumcision crusades and all that. It is ONLY the USA that is like that. In the rest of the world, including New Zealand, circumcision is an unusual practice and there are no anti-circumcision crusaders because they'd have nothing to do. It's actually very difficult to get a child circumcised in New Zealand, because almost no doctors do it, there's just no demand. The Jews have to specifically organise this within their community. So I am not siding with anybody like that, I've never met anyone like that. My perspective is actually quite the opposite - coming from a society where circumcision is almost never practiced, and working out whether I should do it to my sons and how.

you appear to be thinking that I am saying modern circumcision is wrong, or sinful. I am not. I have specifically stated that it is permissible, when I said:
No, you didn’t read what I wrote. I said that if what you say is true then you SHOULD think modern circumcision is wrong.
it is very clear that what is done at present is not what was done during Biblical times
That is not at all clear.

I am not going to argue with you further @The Revolting Man, it is unprofitable for both of us and is just cluttering the thread for others.

If anyone who has not already made up their mind on this issue has further questions about it I will do my best to help them figure this out.

Just to share some anecdotal evidence I've found so far in looking into this, there have been stories I've seen where men have gained more sensitivity or retained the same amount through circumcision, as well as those who lost sensitivity. Men who in their adult memory went from uncircumcised to circumcised and have stated no difference. Just wanted to throw this out there too. Though the concern for me, is the men who also state that they've lost sensitivity. That's the issue that belies anything about this, because that isn't being told to a general populace so that they'd mull over their decisions more. And it does seem like there may be a good amount of these types of men. Other than that, of course major health organizations cite that there is no sensitivity loss in circumcision. But knowing this forum of people, that would probably be seen as evidence to the contrary.

For someome who is circumcised, this argument would appear moot. There just isn't anyway for you to compare, or know, anyways. You'd just be someone who had no say in the matter and would be blissfully ignorant, up until now. Maybe it would have been better if you were never circumcised. But at the end of the day it'd be impractical to worry about that now. All of this information is only good for future-tense decisions.

I do think divorce over sexual dissatisfaction due to circumcision may be too extreme of a view with too little evidence, as well. How do we know that your parents didn't have other issues with one another? And the counter argument to yours would be any circumcised man married longer while still having sex, than your parents. is there such a thing? I'm not saying there is, but surely, there must be.

And too, is there not more to sex than the foreskin of a penis? Can't any other factor to sex be much greater than that, making that factor closer to irrelevant? Surely there are men and women who prefer circumcision, or at least think they do. There's also much placebo involved in sex. A psychology surrounding it. These things can heighten or lower the experience, as well. Sex is also a skilled venture. Isn't how one uses the tool also count, besides just the tool?

I agree that we Americans have a pro-circumcision bias. I am certain that there will be people reading this that may even be too offended to continue past the first page. I am willing to put that bias away for the discovery of truth on the matter. Knowing that if there is any truth to this it can help the people in my own life. I am not here to prove my own beliefs, but to test them, and to learn.

Last edited:
I am not going to argue with you further @The Revolting Man, it is unprofitable for both of us and is just cluttering the thread for others.

If anyone who has not already made up their mind on this issue has further questions about it I will do my best to help them figure this out.
How can you help someone understand an idea that you can’t defend?

Back