• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Morality, Competetion Boundaries, and Unbetrothed Women. May the best man win.

I don’t date, the woman either wants to walk my walk or she doesn’t.

Edit: I have met as friends a couple of times, but never considered it a date.

100 X 100

I got another fun one here...The boundary for adultery is set at betrothal, what is the difference between a dating woman and a woman with a boyfriend? Is any unbetrothed woman open game? Should any woman who is not betrothed be considered single? What is the difference between two men trying to court the same single woman when she has yet to chose a suitor, and a man who is a better suitor who comes in post relationship but pre betrothral? What about a sexually active woman in a long term relationship who has not been asked for marriage?

This is speaking strictly from a moral boundary perspective, ignoring the personality red flags of secular participation in a scenario like this. If we need an example let's say a secular woman with a long term boyfriend who becomes a believer during their relationship, which then crosses paths with another believer, who wants to give her the marital commitment she has not received from secular boyfriend.

This goes back to the ongoing question on here as to what constitutes marriage. Whether the man or woman calls it marriage or just boyfriend or girlfriend they are one flesh when they are connected by sex, that part is undebatable. Going beyond that to even think to take a woman who is already one flesh with a man opens up a can of worms and is corrupt in its very essence.

Whether the man or woman calls it marriage or just boyfriend or girlfriend they are one flesh when they are connected by sex, that part is undebatable. Going beyond that to even think to take a woman who is already one flesh with a man opens up a can of worms and is corrupt in its very essence.
Wouldn't that disqualify pretty much every secular originating woman in the world from marriage? Sex != Marriage. A father can deny a man his daughter post sex (Exo 22:16), and no where is it considered adultery if another man marries her later. However, adultery can be committed against a pledged Virgin, who has not consummated her marriage yet (Duet. 22:23-25).

Something else worth noting is that prostitution has limits put on it, not to justify it, but a prostitue is not considered an adulterer. Notice the specifics in the law who the commands pertain to in regard to prostitues and in what ways. A father may not prostitute his daughter (Lev. 19:29), A priest may not marry a prostitute (Lev. 21:7). A priests daughter may not become a prostitute (Lev. 21:9). A daughter who whore's while still in her father's house and is caught is to be put to death. (Deut. 22:21) (I included this one just for completeness.) The wages of a prostitute male or female may not be brought to the temple to pay a vow (Deut. 23:18)?

Is it fornication? Probably, but fornication and adultery are two different things. Is a single woman who is having sex with her "boyfriend/fwb" fornicating? Yes. If she decides to turn from her ways is she free to marry? What if it is just a boyfriend but no sex, short term or long term relationship, but no marital commitment? Is she free to be pursued?

Wouldn't that disqualify pretty much every secular originating woman in the world from marriage? Sex != Marriage. A father can deny a man his daughter post sex (Exo 22:16), and no where is it considered adultery if another man marries her later. However, adultery can be committed against a pledged Virgin, who has not consummated her marriage yet (Duet. 22:23-25).
read what I wrote carefully..

Whether the man or woman calls it marriage or just boyfriend or girlfriend they are one flesh when they are connected by sex, that part is undebatable.

Very specific

Something else worth noting is that prostitution has limits put on it, not to justify it, but a prostitue is not considered an adulterer. Notice the specifics in the law who the commands pertain to in regard to prostitues and in what ways. A father may not prostitute his daughter (Lev. 19:29), A priest may not marry a prostitute (Lev. 21:7). A priests daughter may not become a prostitute (Lev. 21:9). A daughter who whore's while still in her father's house and is caught is to be put to death. (Deut. 22:21) (I included this one just for completeness.) The wages of a prostitute male or female may not be brought to the temple to pay a vow (Deut. 23:18)?

Also....

Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make [them] the members of an harlot? God forbid. What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh. But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit. Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body. What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost [which is] in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. — 1 Corinthians 6:15-20 KJV

That seems to scupper the angle presented

Is it fornication? Probably, but fornication and adultery are two different things. Is a single woman who is having sex with her "boyfriend/fwb" fornicating? Yes.
No, not necessarily, you have no idea of the conversations had between the two, or are you viewing marriage from the perspective of civil authority?

If she decides to turn from her ways is she free to marry? What if it is just a boyfriend but no sex, short term or long term relationship, but no marital commitment? Is she free to be pursued?

Turn from what ways? Having sex with her "boyfriend" man in a committed relationship?

The way this has been presented it is way to vague to warrant a direct answer.

Not being a mind reader, this line of reasoning reeks of justification to search for a loophole. How long does there need to be no sex for it to be permissible for you to swoop in and rescue this poor sexless damsel ?

Is she free to be pursued? maybe, maybe not.

Women are a gift from YAH I prefer to walk in love pursue YAH & holiness and then YAH gifts me women. There are plenty of women out there to not have to consider, look at, let alone dip into another man's jewellery.

If you are able to take away a woman from another man, what stops her from being taken away from you?

I found what @KarenJeanLovesYHWH stated as an interesting but tenuous position especially coming from a woman, HOWEVER, I will state again, without accurately defining what constitutes marriage in the eyes of YAH a man can be stepping into a minefield that could end up not being worth the hassle temporally, and eternally.

I found what @KarenJeanLovesYHWH stated as an interesting but tenuous position especially coming from a woman, HOWEVER, I will state again, without accurately defining what constitutes marriage in the eyes of YAH a man can be stepping into a minefield that could end up not being worth the hassle temporally, and eternally.
Any faulty understanding of a woman's marital status, and thus her potential availability for marriage, has very serious implications which many people give little regard to. The serial monogamy mindset, so common today, will have devastating consequences for eternity. 1 Cor. 6:9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.

Back