• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

MOVIES THAT DON'T ACTUALLY REMIND ONE OF POLY . . . but in which poly certainly would have solved some big problems!

I used to be a game of thrones fan in my younger years - and watched a few episodes of the new show (house of dragon). The king of the land had one wife, and she was unable to bore him any sons. The king was becoming old, and so was his wife. He needed a heir. His wife became pregnant with a son, but there were complications during the pregnancy. He approved something that was a high risk operation in order for his son to be delivered. It didn’t work out, and he lost his wife and son. Eventually found himself a younger wife, and she gave him plenty of sons.

He could had kept his first wife by avoiding the risky surgery, and instead simply added an additional wife. The creator of the show is an ex-Catholic. He’s an atheist now I believe. His GoT shows have all sorts of sexual immoralities - from homosexuals to incest. It’s the typical - enforced monogamy - but all else goes.

I haven't seen "War Room", but have seen most of the Kendrick brothers movies. I would love it if they made one that portrayed polygyny in a positive light. I don't think it is very likely. Maybe it could be "Facing the Giants" part two where the coach adds a second wife and gets fired from the Christian high school. 😉
I think it is more likely we get a church to convert, than get a movie out like this. I don't think even Angel Studios would consider doing something like this.

Man if we were to expand this out to television shows, the whole fiasco with Ross and Rachel on Friends could have been resolved with polygyny. I have always thought that the quick jump into bed with another man or woman, was the main issue that went unmentioned. It sure didn't help that Ross was such a Beta. Contrast that with Joey.

Spider-Man 3 had the polygyny lean to it, whereas in Spider-Man 1 and 2, Mary Jane was being pursued by two men. Again, that trilogy featured the likable Beta Toby MaGuire, whereas it seems both of his rivals were Alphas.

Man if we were to expand this out to television shows, the whole fiasco with Ross and Rachel on Friends could have been resolved with polygyny. I have always thought that the quick jump into bed with another man or woman, was the main issue that went unmentioned. It sure didn't help that Ross was such a Beta. Contrast that with Joey.

Spider-Man 3 had the polygyny lean to it, whereas in Spider-Man 1 and 2, Mary Jane was being pursued by two men. Again, that trilogy featured the likable Beta Toby MaGuire, whereas it seems both of his rivals were Alphas.
Speaking of Alpha's and Beta's, are you familiar with Vox Day's expanded male social sexual hierarchy? He adds some additional helpful categories.

Alpha
Bravo
Delta
Gamma
Omega
plus Sigma

Few men are Alphas, and a lot of the annoying guys (like Ross aka lieutenant Sobel on Friends and Band of Brothers) are probably better characterized as Gammas.

Bravos and Deltas are the men that keep the world from falling apart.

Our society is a Gamma and Omega factory.

Speaking of Alpha's and Beta's, are you familiar with Vox Day's expanded male social sexual hierarchy? He adds some additional helpful categories.

Alpha
Bravo
Delta
Gamma
Omega
plus Sigma

Few men are Alphas, and a lot of the annoying guys (like Ross aka lieutenant Sobel on Friends and Band of Brothers) are probably better characterized as Gammas.

Bravos and Deltas are the men that keep the world from falling apart.

Our society is a Gamma and Omega factory.
I think this calls for a new thread.

I think it is more likely we get a church to convert, than get a movie out like this. I don't think even Angel Studios would consider doing something like this.
Anything controversial like this, pitch to Loor.tv. They just let the subscribers vote on what they want funded, and don't censor it - their slogan is something like "uncensored by big tech or church ladies" - they're specifically trying to solve the problem of Christian movies being so bland and goodygood. They're a young business but with a lot of potential, worth supporting financially and considering as an outlet if you're wanting to make a controversial Christian film.

Well hopefully a God-fearing family wouldn't need to worry about brothers murdering each other...

I think a small political succession crisis (devoid of murder and/or warfare) can be healthy for a successful family.

Leaders need to be tested sometimes, and brothers will eventually test their father's chosen successor, might as well get it over with. See if the leader can handle it well. To whom much is given, etc.
Um.... Charlemagne.

It's rarely known, but he had a brother named Karlman who did inherit his half of father's kingdom. He is most famous for dying in mysterious circustamces one year after taking throne. Rumor mill is that his mother is responsible person.

Charlemagne family was doubtiful lacking in faith. Problem with any sort of ruler is that inheritance stakes are very high which makes who situation unwelcome.

The Other Boleyn girl has been mentioned in another thread.

I got one, I got one. It’s A Wonderful Life

Acceptance of polygyny would certainly have fixed any tension revolving around George and Violet. It probably would have spared George a lot of depression over being stuck in Bedford Falls. He even mentioned having a harem when he was dreaming about travel plans…

I got one, I got one. It’s A Wonderful Life

Acceptance of polygyny would certainly have fixed any tension revolving around George and Violet. It probably would have spared George a lot of depression over being stuck in Bedford Falls. He even mentioned having a harem when he was dreaming about travel plans…
My wife spotted a line in the movie where George, as a boy, plans to have a couple of harems and maybe three or four wives, when he gets older.

Ooh, another! Polygyny being acceptable would have solved problems in The Greatest Showman.

Am I the only one who's still randomly thinking of these?

Back