• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Nick currently in Virginia

NS4Liberty

Male
Hi! I am new to the idea that polygyny is an acceptable form of marriage under the New Testament. Honestly, I have been trying to find an argument against it, because if it is true then that changes the entire nature of marriage as I have been taught.

I come from a background in the church of Christ. The funny thing is growing up in the church of Christ you are told we do things like the First Century Christians. I didn't know until earlier this year Jews were still practicing polygyny in the first century.

Anyway, I am married. I started talking about patriarchy to my wife and she started making jokes about me starting a cult and having multiple wives. I haven't had the guts to tell her where I am at on that front. We are both still trying to figure out our places of Leader and Follower. I'm not a good leader, but I am working on it.

Other than that I am in law school here in Virginia for 1 more year. Because of that I probably won't be super active, but I will be popping in once in a while.

This is the article that originally convinced me: https://www.bereanpatriot.com/is-polygamy-polygyny-biblical-does-god-allow-it/

Welcome!
You absolutely must update us now and then on how your patriarchal discussions are going with your wife 😊

Welcome to Biblical Families :).

We have a support system here for women, so when you have that conversation with your wife, let her know that she can come on here and talk with the other women. We have a ladies chat on Monday nights that she would be welcome to join. I promise we're not a cult, lol.

Shalom and welcome. Particularly interesting to hear your law school connection... always fun when 'legal eyes' are willing to seek Truth.. please do stay engaged as you are able.

I would say, be careful when/how you broach this with your wife, but hiding it a long time also can be detrimental. Pray, trust, study the Word together... let Yah lead.

Welcome!
The funny thing is growing up in the church of Christ you are told we do things like the First Century Christians. I didn't know until earlier this year Jews were still practicing polygyny in the first century.
Most denominations believe they do things like the first century Christians. Most new denominations are formed because a group of people decide none of the existing denominations truly do things the way the first century Christians ACTUALLY did it, so they're going to do it right themselves.

And everyone is wrong.

I have been trying to find an argument against it, because if it is true then that changes the entire nature of marriage as I have been taught.
Indeed, and the question to ask anyone who presents himself as a New Testament spiritual leader is, "Just exactly where is it in the New Testament that polygyny was outlawed." I've asked scores of pastors that question in just the last 63 years of my short life, and, while most will demand that it's there, not one has provided me the chapter and verse.

Welcome to our midst.

because if it is true then that changes the entire nature of marriage as I have been taught.
There it is. The entire nature of marriage is very different than what we have been taught. It isn't an equal partnership. It isn't a contract. Husband and wife have very different roles and functions in marriage.

Like our relationship with Christ, marriage is a covenant. Covenants have covenantal heads, and covenantal followers. Christ is our Head, our Lord, our Protector, our Leader. We were made for Him. We belong to Him. This is Beautiful!

As husband's, we are our wives head, her (or their) lord, protector, leader, etc. My wife was made for me, and belongs to me. This is beautiful.

I think mandating "monogamy only" somehow diminishes the Godly reflection of marriage, and dishonors the Lord Jesus Christ. He is incomparable! His full glory must be reflected as much as possible. All glory be to Him!

Back