• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Nick currently in Virginia

Hey Nick!… you and I are neighbors (figuratively, not literally).
Let me know if you’d like to meet up for coffee sometime.

Hi! I am new to the idea that polygyny is an acceptable form of marriage under the New Testament. Honestly, I have been trying to find an argument against it, because if it is true then that changes the entire nature of marriage as I have been taught.

That it does!

I come from a background in the church of Christ. The funny thing is growing up in the church of Christ you are told we do things like the First Century Christians. I didn't know until earlier this year Jews were still practicing polygyny in the first century.

Welcome. I also come from a Church of Christ background and still attend one, so I know where you are coming from.

I still love "Speak where the Bible speaks and be silent where the Bible is silent".

Also, "Call Bible things by Bible names."

Still great stuff.

P.S. What is the Bible word for polygamy? :)

Anyway, I am married. I started talking about patriarchy to my wife and she started making jokes about me starting a cult and having multiple wives. I haven't had the guts to tell her where I am at on that front. We are both still trying to figure out our places of Leader and Follower. I'm not a good leader, but I am working on it.

Whether you end up practicing it or not, a clear understanding of Biblical marriage will help your existing marriage. As you follow what the Bible says you may experience ups and downs, but you will experience tremendous growth and joy.

Other than that I am in law school here in Virginia for 1 more year. Because of that I probably won't be super active, but I will be popping in once in a while.

This is the article that originally convinced me: https://www.bereanpatriot.com/is-polygamy-polygyny-biblical-does-god-allow-it/

Excellent!

Welcome. I also come from a Church of Christ background and still attend one, so I know where you are coming from.

I still love "Speak where the Bible speaks and be silent where the Bible is silent".

Also, "Call Bible things by Bible names."

Still great stuff.

P.S. What is the Bible word for polygamy? :)
Have you had conversations with people at your current congregation about polygamy?

I was teaching a class 2 weeks ago on Romans 7 and shared the fact that Covet in Romans 7 is the same word translated Lust in Matt. 5:28. Just that little nugget of truth about broke my wife and a few others. I was tempted to point out the Jews were still practicing polygamy when Jesus was talking to them, but I didn't have the nerve to open that can of worms.

It's funny the principles I learned by growing up in the church of Christ is the very principles that require me to come to the conclusion they will likely reject me over.

The Bible word for polygamy is just marriage.

Have you had conversations with people at your current congregation about polygamy?

No. We just got kicked out of a church last year, so have been laying low lately.

I was teaching a class 2 weeks ago on Romans 7 and shared the fact that Covet in Romans 7 is the same word translated Lust in Matt. 5:28. Just that little nugget of truth about broke my wife and a few others. I was tempted to point out the Jews were still practicing polygamy when Jesus was talking to them, but I didn't have the nerve to open that can of worms.

I like Romans 7:2 and the implication that it only applies to women, not men.

It's funny the principles I learned by growing up in the church of Christ is the very principles that require me to come to the conclusion they will likely reject me over.

I hear you brother. Funny and ironic.

The Bible word for polygamy is just marriage.

Excellent. No difference.

Back