• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Non GMO organic gardening

Edward

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
Good morning everyone, at the last retreat we supplied watermelons and the golden flesh one, was a hit. As a matter of fact, it has been a hit all around, most of the people are used to the red flesh kind and we did have a couple of those at the retreat but the golden flesh kind are juicy and sweet. So I figured I would start a new thread, not sure if there is one already on the forum, if so y'all know how to work your magic. Lol 😂

In the age of GMO and fruit castration, I mean seedless, I figured there would be a number of you who would like to share somethings that might fall under the exotic, if you will, out of the norm seeds. We get most of our seeds from reareseeds.com here in Missouri and I know there are others that are just as good as them, so anyways here is the link Sweetglo watermelon 20220911_184555.jpg

We really like yellow-fleshed watermelons, similar to this. I’ve not tried this variety though, but I will next year! :) Thanks for sharing.

Yes, the yellow flesh ones are very nice indeed and I have them just about every morning with breakfast. I have no idea what variety the ones here are but they're nice when eaten chilled.

This next week the wild blackberries along our creek will be ready for harvest. When we first moved here there was this one big bramble and since then we've propagated it and we keep the canes trained along a plain wire (not barb wire) fence to make picking easier. We've made a few minor modifications to the creek to retain extra water and the berries are much bigger now. I take it for granted that the berry plants are not GMO.

This next week the wild blackberries along our creek will be ready for harvest. When we first moved here there was this one big bramble and since then we've propagated it and we keep the canes trained along a plain wire (not barb wire) fence to make picking easier. We've made a few minor modifications to the creek to retain extra water and the berries are much bigger now. I take it for granted that the berry plants are not GMO.
Wow, our blackberries have been done for a month or more.

Good morning everyone, at the last retreat we supplied watermelons and the golden flesh one, was a hit. As a matter of fact, it has been a hit all around, most of the people are used to the red flesh kind and we did have a couple of those at the retreat but the golden flesh kind are juicy and sweet. So I figured I would start a new thread, not sure if there is one already on the forum, if so y'all know how to work your magic. Lol 😂

In the age of GMO and fruit castration, I mean seedless, I figured there would be a number of you who would like to share somethings that might fall under the exotic, if you will, out of the norm seeds. We get most of our seeds from reareseeds.com here in Missouri and I know there are others that are just as good as them, so anyways here is the link Sweetglo watermelon View attachment 3601
I used to really like Baker Creek (outside of the insane prices) but after the way Jere handled covid... really made me change my tune. Anyone else you recommend sell these seeds? Does Luke or Johnny Seeds sell them?

I used to really like Baker Creek (outside of the insane prices) but after the way Jere handled covid... really made me change my tune. Anyone else you recommend sell these seeds? Does Luke or Johnny Seeds sell them?
How did they handle it?? I missed it.

How did they handle it?? I missed it.
I'm not sure if he just got really scared of covid or of losing his left of center customer base. Either way, they shut everything down for nearly two years and only did mail order. Honestly, I thought he would stand up to the social order since he always seemed like a free spirit but he did not.

We've tried Rare Seeds a few times, mainly because they have seeds for amazing plants you can't get elsewhere, but we just don't do well with germination or vigor.

For the not quite as rare, we love High Mowing seeds as everything grows.

For the specialty stuff, we finally caught on to Etsy. This year my wife wanted some Pequin and Chiltepin and we ordered some plants off of Etsy (we had tried rare seeds before and they didn't germinate). They were great and we'll be going that route for our rare plants from now on.

I'm not sure if he just got really scared of covid or of losing his left of center customer base. Either way, they shut everything down for nearly two years and only did mail order. Honestly, I thought he would stand up to the social order since he always seemed like a free spirit but he did not.
[Edit - HERE'S THE FULL VIDEO ON HIS PATREON FOR FREE https://www.patreon.com/posts/63180365 ]

Zac did a few videos and posts on the memo BC gave to their employees. This video doesn't share much, but read the pinned comment and also see the 2-page memo on his "community tab" ... it was 6 months ago, but he hardly has anything in his community section, so it's easy to find.

Last edited:
We are enjoying Georgia Rattlesnake watermelons now out of our patch. The first year we grew them some reached over 50 lb and many were over 40 lb
This year they have been smaller. Last year we never planted, the year previous (2020) our melon vines got beaten down by hail.... BEFORE the melons were quite ripe. It was dissappinting for sure. That was the year I had planted a bunch of varieties including Blacktail Mountain, Charlston Gray, Yellow Moon and Stars, Sand Mountain Sunshine, Halbert's Honey, Orange Glow, Dixie Queen, Congo, and Jubilee, besides hubby's childhood favorite....Georgia Rattlesnake.
I could tell some if the yellow and orange melons would have been exceptional! Maybe next year I'll plant more varieties.

Our Mutsu apples are interesting this year. There are fewer of them but they're HUGE! They're also a bit less starchy than last year which is nice.

We're still picking blackberries. I've put up most of it for pies but will hold some filling back for Hamantaschen cookies in March.

Back