• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

November Newsletter Article - Trust

Hmmm
When you put assets in a trust, you no longer have total, arbitrary control over them. They can only be used according to the rules that govern the trust.
Likewise,a marriage is a trust that you enter/put your lives into. You no longer have the same arbitrary rights to use your life as you wish.

Thinking deeper, the marriage trust is a sub-trust of the trust that we created when we committed our lives to YHWH.

When you put assets in a trust, you no longer have total, arbitrary control over them.

It’s funny how we all know the right answer to who does that (insert property here) belong to. And yet how many of us truly operate like we are just trustees of our master’s talents and we own nothing including our wives and our children. We are just the ox, charged with their protection and provision and oversight. Anything that we have or produce comes from a benevolent master. When we put it back into His trust (that we are appointed trustees of) everything falls into natural alignment. We still control the Rez, but it’s not for our benefit.

Yes the parable of the talents is very applicable here. As bond servants of Christ we don't even own ourselves. Just like children follow their parents rule and wive's their husband's, our will is subjugated to Christ who in turn only does the will of our Father.

We are just the ox, charged with their protection and provision and oversight.

Yes but not just. There is a balance here. I don't want to lend the impression like many do in our culture that marriage is all burden. The whole point of the creation of Eve was she is there for our benefit. It is not without its worthwhile perks for both parties.

It's "res", which is Latin for a 'thing' or 'matter'. Some pronounce that 'rez', I'm more used to 'race', but both are used by English-speakers; I guess it depends on competing theories of how the Romans would have said it.

Other terms for the property conveyed to a trustee are 'corpus' and 'principal', and there might be others. My favorite is corpus, but res gets used a lot as well.

If this line of posting goes full-on into legal structures, let's split it off. Otherwise, this is just a friendly reminder that the original point of this newsletter article was to provide practical help on building trust (basically an emotional state) in a relationship.

this is just a friendly reminder that the original point of this newsletter article was to provide practical help on building trust (basically an emotional state) in a relationship.
Okay, so about trust... I don't recall if it was mentioned in the newsletter, since November was a long time ago, and I'm too lazy to dig it up, but it occurs to me that trust is the main difference between fear and respect. Mathematically: respect = fear + trust.

Fear (and I'm speaking in the generic sense of 'awe', or 'reverence', not in the Halloween sense of 'spooky'), is a recognition that the object of your fear has some degree of power over you, and an admission of your own deficit of power. This could be directed at something like a natural disaster, or a wild beast, or a health condition, or a politician, or a law enforcement agent, or an employer, or a parent, or even God... All these things have the power to potentially affect you in some negative way. If you can't trust them with that power to act in your interest (or at least to not act against you), then you have reason to fear them. If you do trust them, then you respect them. Say what you will about Trump, but it was watching people's polarized reactions to him that really cemented this relationship in my mind.

This also ties back to my two-axis system of categorizing alphas and betas as being non-exclusive traits, which I mentioned a while back in another thread. In some sense, a pure bad-boy alpha attempts to be feared, without necessarily earning trust, while a pure good-guy beta attempts to gain trust without being feared. Thus neither can be truly respected unless they can combine both aspects.

By the way, this is why telling someone to respect someone else often doesn't work. Respect depends on having both a healthy fear of authority, and a trust. Both of these have to be demonstrated and earned. They can't just be arbitrarily commanded (well, they could be, but it would result in a very shallow respect).

Last edited:
Mathematically: respect = fear + trust. Fear (and I'm speaking in the generic sense of 'awe', or 'reverence', not in the Halloween sense of 'spooky')

Now I really like how you're tying this all together. Reverence, is something I've long been trying to understand. It is important but little talked about and mostly misunderstood.

You seem to treat reverence a synonym for fear. Most people treat it as a synonym for respect; but I really think that does it short shift. My sense was that reverence was respect born of fear/awe. Now that I think about it in this context I'd say born of fear/awe via submission. So a lot like what you're saying but deeper. The kind of thing a god, king or hero imbues but not necessarily the same as say respecting someones positional authority or respect one would have for a skilled practitioner of an art or a mentor.

What do you think? I say my sense because its hard to define and I'm more feeling this out than anything.

It’s been a while since I studied this, but check out the Greek behind the word for reverence in Eph 5:32. And the wife see that she reverence (Str #5399 phobeo) her husband. Where we get our word phobia from, but the idea is akin to the fear (awe/respect/fear) of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.

check out the Greek behind the word for reverence in Eph 5:32. And the wife see that she reverence (Str #5399 phobeo) her husband. Where we get our word phobia from, but the idea is akin to the fear (awe/respect/fear) of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
Yes, I believe the Hebrew word for fear/reverence (yare' IIRC) acts similarly to the Greek phobeo. I was initially going to write my post to make this more explicit. Something like:
Respect = reverence + trust
Fear = reverence - trust

The kind of thing a god, king or hero imbues but not necessarily the same as say respecting someones positional authority or respect one would have for a skilled practitioner of an art or a mentor.
Agreed. That distinction was kind of what I was getting at when I referred at the end of my post to a "shallow respect". In an earlier draft, I was also going to point out that the word respect often gets misused and watered down today to simply mean courtesy, or common decency.

Hate to be the party-pooper, again, but if we're going to turn this into a comparison of ancient languages and an abstract dissection of usage differences between fear, trust, reverence, awe, respect, etc, I can move it to another thread.

Meanwhile, I gave some practical tips in the newsletter article that comprises the OP for this thread re how to build trust in a relationship. Has anybody tried any of that and want to report back? Anybody got any better ideas re something that has worked out in practice to help build trust in a new relationship or rebuild trust in a broken relationship?

Please do move this to a new thread, I think this is a worthy discussion to have.

Respect = reverence + trust
Fear = reverence - trust

That might be it but how does Proverbs 1 play into this? I don't think the fear that is the beginning of wisdom lacks trust. However maybe that is better translated awe or reverence.

The problem I have with the reverence=respect understanding is that most peoples conception of respect totally lacks any fear; leading to shallow or fake submission and respect.

Please do move this to a new thread, I think this is a worthy discussion to have.
It's a worthy discussion to have, and we'll keep having it. To move it, though, I'm going to set up a new forum I've been incubating for awhile, and I have run out of time for today to do that and will have to get to it tonight or tomorrow morning. In the meantime, y'all keep posting whatever you have to say and I'll move it all together when I have the time.

Back