• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Numbers 30 authority?

I think it is questionable to cherrypick parts of marriage that you want to apply to you

This is the whole point of this thread... I'm not convinced this is something that exclusively applies to ttwcm after careful review of the wording it seems to apply to any woman who is under the man's ownership / part of his household... I guess the question becomes what relationships create the status of ownership?

She didn't really get to choose anything. Nor was there a head to permit or deny her here. This was simply a scriptural law that they were kind of following in order to determine who would become her head.
That doesn’t match up with the facts of the story.
She was not an Israelite and the man that should have stepped up when she and Naomi came back, didn’t. They were on their own.
Naomi had her approach Boaz because she perceived the favor that he was giving her. She CHOSE to follow Naomi’s instructions.
Boaz chose, at that point, to follow the Levirate law.
It’s obvious that they weren’t automatically following it previously in this case.

I guess the question becomes what relationships create the status of ownership?
I would ask; why would Yah limit the simple agreement between two parties?

I don’t see Because they are not one flesh as being a reasonable answer.

No he doesn't he gives recommendations the Dr. Has no authority to compel obedience.
Everybody has agency, therefore everybody owns themselves. Therefore any usage of force against somebody must go against that person's will which will break person self-ownership. This implies that nobody has right to compel obedience.

Authority comes from author. And author is somebody creates, in essence, shapes future life.
Doctor by providing recommendation does shapes Emperor life.

I see Mordecai as father figure since Ester was orphan.
Check the LXX on that... He was raising her for himself... That's not a father.

Everybody has agency, therefore everybody owns themselves. Therefore any usage of force against somebody must go against that person's will which will break person self-ownership. This implies that nobody has right to compel obedience.

Authority comes from author. And author is somebody creates, in essence, shapes future life.
Doctor by providing recommendation does shapes Emperor life.
Stop paying taxes and let me know if the irs can compel obedience 😉

Esther 2:7

Just to go right back to the start - this is a very hypothetical situation. Can anyone think of an actual real-life example where this question is or was relevant? Not a theoretical situation, a real one. I can see this being a long debate but I'm unclear whether it has a purpose.
Do you mean in the Scriptures or in real life today. Because I am an example of real life today. And absolutely there is a purpose bc I know other women who do not have a father or brother or uncle to cover her.

Do you mean in the Scriptures or in real life today. Because I am an example of real life today. And absolutely there is a purpose bc I know other women who do not have a father or brother or uncle to cover her.
I'm curious about your story?

Doesn't Numbers 30:9 indicate that a widowed or divorced woman doesn't have a male head like a married woman, or an unmarried woman under her father?

It is ok to remain a widow, and it is ok (and generally better) to marry again.

Esther 2:7
That's interesting. I've never heard that take on the passage, but the Septuagint does seem to indicate that was a possibility. The English translations based on the original text generally indicate "as a daughter", but the translations of the Septuagint seems to go along with your view of "as a future wife". Interesting 🤔. Thanks for sharing that

The question is about a woman coming under the headship of a man without becoming his wife. This is a very unusual situation. Obviously it is common for widows to remarry, and a widow most certainly has the authority over herself to choose what man to marry, without needing her father's permission. Scripture clearly discusses single widows, and remarrying widows, both situations being acceptable and well understood.

Are you truly considering joining the family of a man and coming under his headship without becoming his wife - the very niche situation described in this thread? Or did you misunderstand the question?

You gonna fold that easy for the Mark?

Some of us realized that the Zyklon-B poison poke was another early test (and practice session, it would seem...) to resist exactly that kind of Evil.
I'm just using an example. My point is that authority carries the ability to compel obedience at least to an extent... My hats off to those who choose to defy the system by not paying taxes...

Back