• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Meat Obeying the voices in your head?

I agree that sometimes the things God does seem to us to be absurd, but that doesn’t mean we need to make up absurd things... like “Jesus said, my sheep hear my voice, therefore if God doesn’t talk to you by a still small voice in your head, you’re not his sheep”

That's true enough. I happen to be one who has heard the still, small voice, but it would be quite a stretch for me to assert that anyone who hasn't isn't Jesus'.

Does anyone here believe that?

steve said:
There are zero verses that that define how we can expect to hear from Him.

How about from Scripture itself?

I am lost here, how are you distinguishing between verses, which are in the Scriptures, and Scripture?

That's true enough. I happen to be one who has heard the still, small voice, but it would be quite a stretch for me to assert that anyone who hasn't isn't Jesus'.

Does anyone here believe that?
No
The still small voice isn’t our version of the quickening in the breast.

Then you are missing out.
There is actual Scripture for this.

Joel 2:28 (KJV)
And it shall come to pass afterward, [that] I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:
Acts 2:17 (KJV)
And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

Ok, she isn’t an old man (presumably, I have never met her),but it doesn’t say that medium aged ( young in comparison to me, again assumed) women are excluded.

In its’ full context Acts 2:17 is where the Apostle Peter is telling the people of Jerusalem that the prophecy of Joel had just been fulfilled.

steve said:
There are zero verses that that define how we can expect to hear from Him.

How about from Scripture itself?

I am lost here, how are you distinguishing between verses, which are in the Scriptures, and Scripture?

In Luke 10:16 Jesus told His disciples that those who hear them hear Him.

In John 17 Jesus prays a fascinating prayer
John 17:1-26 KJV
[1] These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee: [2] As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him. [3] And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. [4] I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. [5] And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was. [6] I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word. [7] Now they have known that all things whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee. [8] For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them , and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me. [9] I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine. [10] And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them. [11] And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are . [12] While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled. [13] And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves. [14] I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. [15] I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil. [16] They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. [17] Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. [18] As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world. [19] And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth. [20] Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; [21] That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. [22] And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: [23] I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me. [24] Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world. [25] O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me. [26] And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it : that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.

Jesus said that He gave the Father’s words to his disciples and he prayed for them and then He also prayed for those who would hear The Father’s words through them. That’s us. We can know for sure that we are hearing the words of The Father when we read what Jesus disciples wrote. If we hear the disciples that Jesus sent we are hearing His voice.

If God wants to tell us something else He can, He is God. And if God speaks to you, you will KNOW IT.

My take is this:

In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice;
in the morning I lay my requests before you
and wait expectantly.

When we pray, we should also take time to wait for God's answer. I don't think it pays dividends to have too much of an opinion on how God should or would answer. Since we know that God's communication strategies are unorthodox by human reckoning, I think we should be wary of narrowly defining how He might choose to speak. Since we know that our hearts are both deceitful and wicked, we should be wary of using stray thoughts of uncertain origin as a stand-in for the voice of God.

I think the "waiting expectantly" part shows what's needed.

A person who uses their stray thoughts to rush an answer isn't "waiting"
A person who simply fires and forgets his prayer isn't "waiting expectantly"

Well I doubt anyone is going to fess up to it now! Lol

It reminds me a bit of tongue talkers that assert that anyone who doesn't talk in a tongue isn't saved. It's a viewpoint that exists, but it's also a viewpoint that is patently false and should be clearly understood to be false by everyone else.

But it is true that tongue talkers have discovered things about talking in tongues that aren't recorded in the bible. These things are primarily only useful to other tongue talkers, but they exist. I would expect that hearing the still small voice of God is related. If someone has heard it once, they have a wealth of information and experience compared to the one who has heard it zero times. At the very least they become aware of how much they thought they had heard in the past was only a combination of impatience and wishful thinking.

There are many who think that they are His sheep that He will tell I never knew you.
That scares me. What if part of Him not knowing a person comes with holding doctrines that “prove” that He won’t talk to you in certain ways when He has been giving you the chance to hear Him?
Denying the possibility of communication is not a good way to know Him.
I didn’t say that He won’t talk to you in any specific ways, that’s a straw man. What I am saying is that we shouldn’t tell people that the way God speaks to us is by a still small voice in our head. What we should say is that God has spoken to us through His Son and Jesus spoke to us through His Disciples, so if you want to hear the voice of Jesus, the Anointed One of God, for sure, read your Bible. Don’t go trying to hear a voice in your head. If God wants to speak to you, outside of scripture, you can trust that he will get your attention and speak it as clear as day. :)

Last edited:
My take is this:

In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice;
in the morning I lay my requests before you
and wait expectantly.

When we pray, we should also take time to wait for God's answer. I don't think it pays dividends to have too much of an opinion on how God should or would answer. Since we know that God's communication strategies are unorthodox by human reckoning, I think we should be wary of narrowly defining how He might choose to speak. Since we know that our hearts are both deceitful and wicked, we should be wary of using stray thoughts of uncertain origin as a stand-in for the voice of God.

I think the "waiting expectantly" part shows what's needed.

A person who uses their stray thoughts to rush an answer isn't "waiting"
A person who simply fires and forgets his prayer isn't "waiting expectantly"
The verse says that he makes his requests to God and is expectant that God will grant them. I’m not sure how one would get the still small voice out of that.

While I’m strolling by this, why is it always a still small voice? Why don’t we expect God to speak to us audibly, out of a burning bush, or a whirlwind, or from the top of a smoking mountain?? Maybe we should tell newly saved people that they should go out in the woods and search diligently for a burning bush because that’s how God talks to us. That makes as much biblical sense as listening for a still small voice.

It reminds me a bit of tongue talkers that assert that anyone who doesn't talk in a tongue isn't saved. It's a viewpoint that exists, but it's also a viewpoint that is patently false and should be clearly understood to be false by everyone else.

But it is true that tongue talkers have discovered things about talking in tongues that aren't recorded in the bible. These things are primarily only useful to other tongue talkers, but they exist. I would expect that hearing the still small voice of God is related. If someone has heard it once, they have a wealth of information and experience compared to the one who has heard it zero times. At the very least they become aware of how much they thought they had heard in the past was only a combination of impatience and wishful thinking.
I don’t see the prescription of sitting and listening for a still small voice. Could He speak that way, sure. That doesn’t make it a thing.

I didn’t say that He won’t talk to you in any specific ways, that’s a straw man. What I am saying is that we shouldn’t tell people that the way God speaks to us is by a still small voice in our head. What we should say is that God has spoken to us through His Son and Jesus spoke to us through His Disciples, so if you want to hear the voice of Jesus, the Anointed One of God, for sure, read your Bible. Don’t go trying to hear a voice in your head. If God wants to speak to you outside of scripture, you can trust that he will get you attention and speak it as clear as day. :)
Obviously you can believe whatever you choose to believe, and live your life thusly.

My family appreciates not being bound to your views.

Sorry, but I am reminded of the religious system in Yeshua’s day who could have proven to Him that He wasn’t the Messiah, if only He would have laid aside His delusions. And they would have used Scripture.
Those boys cause me to deeply question every belief that I have, because there, but for the grace of Yah, go I.

I find it fascinating that someone would try so hard to strip away another’s belief that they might be hearing from the Almighty.

I believe there are other examples other than the Pharoah and Joseph but I'd have to do a little digging on those lol Well Joseph actually had a lot of dreams.. He dreamed of himself ruling over others when he was young.. twice

In its’ full context Acts 2:17 is where the Apostle Peter is telling the people of Jerusalem that the prophecy of Joel had just been fulfilled
I’m sorry.
I evidently missed the pull-date on that prophecy.
Would you kindly point it out for me?

Obviously you can believe whatever you choose to believe, and live your life thusly.

My family appreciates not being bound to your views.

Sorry, but I am reminded of the religious system in Yeshua’s day who could have proven to Him that He wasn’t the Messiah, if only He would have laid aside His delusions. And they would have used Scripture.
Those boys cause me to deeply question every belief that I have, because there, but for the grace of Yah, go I.
I can understand that. I think a very important nuance about the problem of the pharisees that is almost universally overlooked is that they ignored the context of scripture and the fact that the scriptures where about Jesus. It wasn’t their zeal or the fact they memorized large portions of scripture, but their failure to hear Jesus’... who’s very words we have in our possession, while we sit in a trance like state trying to hear Him.

Right
We have the advantage over them, so it cannot happen to us.
Enjoy your theology, my life is good without it.

The verse says that he makes his requests to God and is expectant that God will grant them. I’m not sure how one would get the still small voice out of that.
I don’t see the prescription of sitting and listening for a still small voice.

That's because you're still thinking about a still small voice where I was not speaking of it? I've testified that I've heard from God before, which has done a good job of teaching me not to be too formulaic in my thinking. I wait expectantly for an answer, without being opinionated (as best as possible) about how the answer arrives.

Could He speak that way, sure. That doesn’t make it a thing.
I find it fascinating that someone would try so hard to strip away another’s belief that they might be hearing from the Almighty.

That is about how you're coming off right now. Elijah heard it and so have I, so it's a thing. So what's your beef?

while we sit in a trance like state trying to hear Him.
Well that's just provably false because I know with certainty you aren't doing that. Neither am I for that matter. But if someone else is trying to fall into a trance while praying like Peter did, what's it to you? What advice would you give them?
There's a good chance there would be no appreciable difference between your advice and mine.

The only fool-proof way to make sure that you are never deceived by anything that might or might not be from Yah is to never hear from Him.

Everything else involves risk.

I believe there are other examples other than the Pharoah and Joseph but I'd have to do a little digging on those lol Well Joseph actually had a lot of dreams.. He dreamed of himself ruling over others when he was young.. twice
Yes there where quite a few people who had dreams in scripture, but this is descriptive, not necessarily prescriptive. We have to be very careful that we understand what the dreams recorded in scripture are about. Are they about us and what we can experience? Or are they about Christ? If you have heard someone read out the account of Joseph and then say something like “you need to dream god sized dreams” You have been mislead as to the purpose of the story. The story of Joseph isn’t about dreaming or interpreting dreams, it’s about Jesus. Jesus said that the Scriptures testified of Himself. And then In John 20:31, John said,
“But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.”

So, the Old Testament is the shadow of Christ, and the new is Christ revealed. Virtually every story in the Old Testament paints some part of the picture of who Jeshua would be, so that when He came the unbelieving would have no excuse. It’s all about Him, it’s not necessarily about us having spiritual experiences. It’s about Jesus. And the way it relates to us is that through it we might believe in the only begotten Son of God and that believing we might life through His name. :)

Blessings to you and your family

Last edited:
It’s all about Him, it’s not necessarily about us having spiritual experiences. It’s about Jesus. And the way it relates to us is that through it we might believe in the only begotten Son of God and that believing we might life through His name. :)

The Son of God is a Spirit, and lives and operates as a Spirit. We don't, we have to learn to operate in the spirit to understand what we are directed to do. I know you believe the Holy Spirit and that is who God is, but somehow, in these discussions about spiritual things you seem to have a really hard time accepting how He functions in each particularity life that is different than how He functions in another. The baptism of fire is a real thing.

I’m sorry.
I evidently missed the pull-date on that prophecy.
Would you kindly point it out for me?

We can discuss it after you direct me to the passages that tell christians about how crucial it is that they hear a voice in their head :)

Back