• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Opportunity for correction and seed planting

NS4Liberty

Male
A couple pro-polygyny people have gotten Knowlandknows to respond with ad hominem attacks toward pro-polygyny advocates. He threatens blocking and deletion when you argue for polygyny. Feel free to throw some arguments in the comments and maybe plant some seeds with his audience. I believe he is Catholic, so he appeals to the authority of the Church, which means he is closed off to discussion, but his audience might be willing to hear.

It's interesting that one of their key arguments against polygyny is that it is an unequal relationship.

Do these people have no understanding of Scripture. Marriage is a reflection of the relationship between God and His people, between Christ and the Church/new Jerusalem.

Guess what? We aren't equal. Israel and Judah are not equal with God. The Church is not equal with Christ. He is above us.

If monogamy creates equality, then it distorts our understanding of the relationship between God and His people.

I also appreciate that he quotes Roman tradition. After all, pagan tradition is their true foundation, not God Himself.

It's so clear from reading scripture. All it takes is rudimentary reading skills to come to the conclusion that polygyny is acceptable to God. Take off the glasses and just read scripture for what it is.

It's so clear from reading scripture. All it takes is rudimentary reading skills to come to the conclusion that polygyny is acceptable to God. Take off the glasses and just read scripture for what it is.
True. It is very clear. Then again I know there was a time I didn't get it. It's kinda hard to get over the indoctrination.

2nd Samuel 12:8 and 1 Kings 15:5 blew my mind and changed my understanding.

2 Samuel 12:8 was THE verse that finally convinced me and took me from being on the fence about the issue, to completely in favor of polygyny.

God can't change. He is God. He can't say he gave someone something and it be sin. Otherwise he would not be God.

How is this so hard to understand.
Spread the Word, brother. Let it not remain in an echo chamber. There are many perishing for lack of knowledge. Understanding polygyny goes hand in hand with understanding patriarchy and unlocking the mysteries of the image of God, which leads to understanding salvation and our purpose in earth. It is not a vain teaching.

Spread the Word, brother. Let it not remain in an echo chamber. There are many perishing for lack of knowledge. Understanding polygyny goes hand in hand with understanding patriarchy and unlocking the mysteries of the image of God, which leads to understanding salvation and our purpose in earth. It is not a vain teaching.
It's not a vain teaching, but so many people are so adamantly opposed to it. You really have to be prepared for any blowback you will get. It angers people, and I really don't know why.

It's not a vain teaching, but so many people are so adamantly opposed to it. You really have to be prepared for any blowback you will get. It angers people, and I really don't know why.
Yes. You are touching their golden calf. You are threatening the underpinning of the entire framework of their understanding of the world. I would caution you to remain anonymous. Use a pseudonym

Yes. You are touching their golden calf. You are threatening the underpinning of the entire framework of their understanding of the world. I would caution you to remain anonymous. Use a pseudonym
There is also a time to not be anonymous, to just stand on God's Word, trust Him, and let the chips fall where they may. Don't be surprised if people hate and try to destroy you for telling the truth. Men hated Jesus Christ, the prophets, and apostles.

It isn't for me to say whether one should or should not be anonymous. Wisdom is called for. I've done some of both.

Grief! That is soooo bad. Why doesn't this guy read his Bible?
Laying aside the obvious straight line, I will point out that this is the reason why, with specific rare exceptions, I don't attempt to argue "Scripture" with 'devout Catholics.'

THEY DO NOT ACCEPT the Authority of Scripture, as doctrine. (A 'different postulate' as it were.)

If 'the pope' is Infallible, and the 'Vicar of Christ', and can (as I will put somewhat sarcastically) "call up God on the Red Phone and tell Him what He got wrong TODAY" - from Sabbath to fish on Friday - it literally does NOT matter. The popes' word is "nomos" (or pick a Latin term if you prefer).

There is NO ARGUMENT from Scripture Alone that will over-ride what they believe trumps it.

(BTW, this is why 'pope satan' recently RE-affirmed the doctrine that "laity" MUST have a 'priest' INTERPRET for them...they can't read that thing for themselves; indeed, for centuries, mere possession of a Bible was a capital crime to 'the Church'.)

Back