• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Patriarch Baseball

Number of edible crops you are currently growing? NOC "number of crops". Off the top of my head, I think I count about 46.

My YUM is doing well at 22.9

My oldest son does all the gardening / crops so I'm not sure how many different ones we have... It's several though. We also have tons of chickens and two pregnant cows and one weathered goat...

I loke your first suggestion of PWA, as mine is 7, so I win (until someone else posts their score). Let's just stick with that one, for that reason alone. :)

Unfortunately the moment any of us father a child with a second wife, PWA will reduce. But that should be a positive scoremaking event, not a negative. A stat that discourages polygamy might not be quite what you were looking for.

I propose YOUM - Years Of Undivorced Marriage. Total number of years spent married to women whom you have managed to retain until the present or until death (sum of all relevant marriage lengths). I know others will beat my score of 16, but I am happy to be fairly beaten by them. And this score rewards polygamy, doesn't penalise it.
YUM 18

While amusing myself in another thread I invented a statistic with which to assert dominance over a young man. Since he is currently husbanding attractive sisters I’m sure the attempt will not destroy his self-confidence.

That being said, it occurred to me in the middle of it all that there actually is value in the statistic.

The statistic is PWA, or per woman average, it tracks the average number of children a man has with the women who bear him children. It separates those men who have small amounts of children with large amounts of women, ala Nelly, with men who husband fruitful women, ala Jim Bob Duggar.

Like all such stats it’s utility is limited. It doesn’t account for men whose fecundity is limited by factors other than their character or priorities for instance. Also, it doesn’t identify men who have had a large number of sexual partners but only fathered children with a few. It would also need to be modified for certain scenarios, for instance fPWA might account for significant stepchildren. My PWA is 4, my fPWA is 5.

The esteemed and inestimable @Keith Martin pioneered the use of baseball as a major source of analogy here but I propose to deepen the practice.

What other statistics should we be tracking to evaluate ourselves and our potential husbands for our daughters. For instance TNC, total number of children, would be an important stat to help give context to PWA. KOF, known one flesh failures, might be an interesting if somewhat unreliable statistic.

Help me out. What else can we track?
Does an adopted child count toward PWA?

So who's going to start flashing photos of their digger or tunnel so we can compare sizes?
Chicks don't like those kinds of pics!
1657376133539.png

TCP, total calories produced.
Here is our breakfast from the homestead today, including our eggs, along with potatoes, zucchini, kale, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, onion, garlic, and basil from the garden.

We did cheat a little, using cheese, butter, oil, salt, pepper, etc from the store.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220709-110456.png
    Screenshot_20220709-110456.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Oh Geez I read thru all this and started to get really confused. I do remember a few sentences from college stats class. Correlation is not necessarily causation and a sample size of one or two is not significant. However a run of 5 to 7 strongly indicates a change. If more than 7 run from you then you need to change your stance or stay in the dugout(btw the dugout is where the dudes not up to bat sit and wait their turn). Remember not every pitch is worth your swing (with the obviously awesome bat) and so a sneer at the pitch can serve to rattle the pitcher. On base percentage is always important but NOBODY is one-for-two and the best ones are one-for-three but it still pays well at .250 avg and some hurlers are in the hundreds and we still applaud them because they are DEFENSE and not offense- they never score anything but get paid the best (weird I know)(I love run-on sentences). You cant watch EVERY pitch, you gotta swing sometime. The pitcher did his homework and knows you are just a looker and so will get agressive and drop it in the inside corner and maybe catch you up the bat on the fingers. Pain is always a motivator- either a bean-ball or a strike out. Train your eyes in the batting cage not on the field. Swingers are not hitters but you cant hit of you don't swing. You are at the plate because you CHOSE to be there- stop whining. Be a student of the game or forever guess. Now my mantra, "Swing batta batta swing!"

Total Calories Produced (TCP)
minus
Total Calories Consumed (TCC)
equals
Excess Calorie Production (ECP)

ECP might be a useful metric for determining a man's ability to provide for additional wives and children.

Total Calories Produced (TCP)
minus
Total Calories Consumed (TCC)
equals
Excess Calorie Production (ECP)

ECP might be a useful metric for determining a man's ability to provide for additional wives and children.
Cool. Mine was Total Calories Produced minus Total Calories Expended (either producing or eating) equals Net Energy Gained.

But to get at the true evaluation of that, we'd have to start taking into account how some foods, just by themselves, are net energy sappers simply by eating them, without even taking into account how much energy and resources it takes to plant, nurture and harvest them.

Relevant charts are available, and what is almost always at the top is brown rice, a wide variety of legumes and true red meat (cow, buffalo, lamb, goat, deer, elk, moose, reindeer, etc.).

Here is our breakfast from the homestead today, including our eggs, along with potatoes, zucchini, kale, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, onion, garlic, and basil from the garden.

We did cheat a little, using cheese, butter, oil, salt, pepper, etc from the store.
Wow!

That's a good question. I realized that I messed up my NOC number. I counted the three varieties of kale separately, but then only counted one of the six varieties of tomatoes and one of my two or three varieties of blueberries.

With 25 varieties of apples, I'm sure you have an excellent NOC score.
To be honest, I'd get a good score on number of different crops, but a terrible score on quantity of production...

I'll honestly tell the opposite story of a disastrously amusing day of home produced food here. When the children and I went for a walk today, we found a pile of Jerusalem artichokes, some potatoes, and a beetroot, that had been turned up in some ditchdigging I've been doing through the garden last week but unnoticed until now. Sarah wasn't feeling well, so I decided to make a soup. Threw all we'd found plus some other random veges and stuff from the cupboard into a pot, and added a bag of home-kill mutton mince and some sprigs of rosemary for flavour, plus a part-bag of dry spaghetti for bulk, then blended the result when cooked. If you're thinking that sounds horrific - it was. Don't do that. It looked like vomit and didn't taste much better. All the competing flavours seemed to cancel each other out. There's a reason Sarah usually does the cooking around here. But it was hilarious and the kids and I were laughing through the whole process of viewing the result and attempting to eat it. We've got plenty left for tomorrow too, and I'm not going to let it go to waste! :)

Dude… that sounds disgusting. Not gonna lie….

The purpose of food is to keep body and soul together.
The fact that it often tastes good is a blessing.

Good on you Samuel for teaching your children that we eat it anyway and laugh about not recreating it.

Back