• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Meat Patriarchal wannabe catfishers

My friend, I don’t know what you are reacting to, but this is an extremely unreasonable way to describe people like myself. How can you not mean me? I am definitely on the “control” end of the spectrum.
You don’t mean me?
1). There aren’t that many to the wrong of me (as opposed to the right of me) for you to over-characterize our fellow members that way.
2). If a man is truly perceived to be the way that you describe, why in the Heckle and Jeckle would any woman ever want to approach that family?

You conveniently leave out the only reasonable option, one that I have advocated in the past.
That a woman would ask a friend to make contact and see if there be mutual interest. It worked pretty darn good in the 6th grade. ( ok, I was pretty slow by today’s standards)

Love you brother, just had to brace you [on] this one.

I was in the middle of writing my previous post when this one from you came through, @steve, so forgive me if I'm being redundant.

Let me repeat myself: I'm really not trying to change anyone. We're all just perfect as we are. We just have to acknowledge who we are -- own it, as it were.

Yes, @steve, you're on the "control end of the spectrum," but I hope that the mountains of praise I have heaped on you over time says more to you about my reverence for you than any fear you might have that what I'm saying in this thread is a dig on you. I love you, my brother, and I wouldn't change you.

In fact, I would assert that you and I are actually on the same page about this, because you suggest a more reasonable option than suggesting that a woman directly approach a man with her interest: doing what we all knew was wise back in 6th grade: going through an intermediary. It's wise for many reasons, not the least of which is the manner in which it allows those on both sides of the equation to save face.

Again, I'm not casting aspersions about being on the control end of the spectrum (although I will acknowledge that I think there are some opinions that I consider to be as extreme in one direction as others will undoubtedly think my opinions are extreme in the other direction -- e.g., asserting that a woman who divorces Man A and the Man B she subsequently marries to take Man A's place are somehow both under the covering -- and thus the control -- of Man A). I'm just saying that being on the control end of the spectrum can't be coordinated with wanting women to somehow become forward in an isolated sense in the realm of courting.

Now, I'm also not saying that I have any problem with women being forward in that way, but that's because I'm not as far into the control end of the spectrum as the average guy in Biblical Families. Personally, I would love it if a woman would just walk up to me and declare her interest in me, just as long, of course, as I have the option to gracefully decline the offer. In fact, I think that it should be an option for any woman who so desires to take that approach. In recent days, I've even suggested to a friend that she consider being more assertive in that regard, but I also cautioned her to make sure she's really as interested in a more egalitarian type of relationship as she declares herself to be. One needs to know oneself before one markets oneself. But if a woman wants to be that bold within the marriage she seeks, then she might as well be just as bold in her participation in courting rituals.

As far as your question (2) is concerned, I have two responses:

Response 1 to "If a man is truly perceived to be the way that you describe, why in the Heckle and Jeckle would any woman ever want to approach that family?": Remember, if you took offense, then I wasn't talking about you. To the extent that I was pointing to something I would be critical of, I'm not talking about you or even the bulk of the men in Biblical Families I would accurately label as legalistic. Take the Man A/Man B example I provided above, though (or the example in my earlier post about men who espouse the notion that manhood can be measured by how often a man impregnates someone). My response to your question if I applied it to Man A would be, "Exactly; why in the Heckle and Jeckle would any woman ever want to approach such a family to join it?" Keep in mind, though (he says as he beats the dead horse), I am not lumping you or hardly anyone else I've ever known in Biblical Families into that response, because I haven't observed you promoting anything that I'm being critical of. I am, though, asserting that, as a group of men, we are responsible for and subject to the fact that men behaving unsuitably on Biblical Families forums and/or in the meatspace of retreats reflects on all the rest of us. Therefore, when a man vociferously espouses what amount to unsuitable male opinions, and when another man confronts him about it in that same public forum, we should not jump to defend the man who espoused the unsuitable male opinions. I have noticed while participating here that, when I voice an opinion that varies on the one side from what amounts to this group's mainstream positions, folks rarely hesitate to criticize me for it, right out in public, and I happen to consider that to be entirely acceptable, because I put myself out on that limb. Your challenge to me here is an excellent example of my being taken to task, and I welcome it. The incongruency, though, is that, as a group, instead of supporting that kind of taking to task when it comes to a Man A being confronted, the wagons get circled around Man A and back-slapping ensues.

And each time that happens, we collectively become responsible for being subject to the supposed "wrong impression" that's created.

Response 2 to "If a man is truly perceived to be the way that you describe, why in the Heckle and Jeckle would any woman ever want to approach that family?": Outside of the extremes I've just addressed, my rhetorical response is that why in the Heckle and Jeckle any woman would want to approach any particular family is because she sees in that family exactly what she's looking for. Just as the average married man in Biblical Families is on "the control end of the spectrum," the average single woman drawn to Biblical Families is looking for a family led by a man "on the control end of the spectrum." So that's why. That is the natural order of things. Again, there's nothing wrong with being "on the control end of the spectrum," @steve; in fact, you're a good example of the evidence of that. In fact, I'm also "on the control end of the spectrum" compared to most of the nancy-boy Sensitive New Age Guys with whom I've associated for most of my adult life.

We just have to own up to the ramifications of failing to confront those who take it too far.

And we have to recognize that an inseparable part of being patriarchal males is being stuck with having to do the bulk of the pursuing, no matter how inconvenient it is or how busy we are. Because we're the men and we want the women to be the women.

The issue in this forum thread, though, is this: what can we do to minimize the degree to which unsuitable male behavior discourages suitable females from being available to those males who are suitable?

No steve
Don’t go there.
#walkaway from the.7
Don’t even ask!

Also me: But inquiring minds......:

Me: I said NO, what part of that did you not understand?

Also me: You are right, you are a controlling so-and-so!

Also me: He said that it was an average.

Me: Oh
Ok

You just couldn’t let it go, could you?

twilightzone3.jpg

@Keith Martin , I would like to go on record as supporting the impregnation method of hierarchical sorting. Because I win. Unless we’re going by a per woman average. That girlfriend in the middle killed that for me. I’m down to like 3.7 after that.
When we are so clearly joking about this, it's all in good fun, my dear friend @ZecAustin, but, at the risk of being a party pooper, I'm going to at least temporarily drag this back into serious territory. You and I have discussed this face-to-face: I think you have to recognize that, as a prolific father and generally charismatic and cunningly funny individual, you are also looked up to by many men who don't have the thorough insight into all of this that I know you have -- and as such you bear some responsibility for the degree to which some among those grasshoppers consider you their role model.

We say some things tongue-in-cheek (and, yes, I'm sure to some extent with pride), but it's important, too, that, when others follow our lead as if it's meant to be a true guiding philosophy, we make sure -- just as publicly -- that we were only kidding.

If, that is, we want to counteract the impression that gets created that we're looking for women who want to be drug around by the hair.

It's all a dance. I certainly have no desire to remove the humor or the freedom to self-express from these forum threads, but at the same time we have responsibility for ensuring that we fully communicate the distinction between good (mostly) clean fun and actual relationship dogma.

But wait....upload_2019-8-19_12-20-38.jpeg

Reactions: Cap
@Keith Martin, I will provide a response to your response at the end of the day.
I’m supposed to be working at present.

When we are so clearly joking about this, it's all in good fun, my dear friend @ZecAustin, but, at the risk of being a party pooper, I'm going to at least temporarily drag this back into serious territory. You and I have discussed this face-to-face: I think you have to recognize that, as a prolific father and generally charismatic and cunningly funny individual, you are also looked up to by many men who don't have the thorough insight into all of this that I know you have -- and as such you bear some responsibility for the degree to which some among those grasshoppers consider you their role model.

We say some things tongue-in-cheek (and, yes, I'm sure to some extent with pride), but it's important, too, that, when others follow our lead as if it's meant to be a true guiding philosophy, we make sure -- just as publicly -- that we were only kidding.

If, that is, we want to counteract the impression that gets created that we're looking for women who want to be drug around by the hair.

It's all a dance. I certainly have no desire to remove the humor or the freedom to self-express from these forum threads, but at the same time we have responsibility for ensuring that we fully communicate the distinction between good (mostly) clean fun and actual relationship dogma.

I would like to add to your seriousness and say, that I don't think any man here has any higher knowledge, or "insight" to these matters from anyone else's point of view. Elder experience in regards to life, maybe.

There is a difference between you and me, you are are more diplomatic than I am in certain regards. I do like you for that though. :)

On the multiple-children thing, I think it's important to flip it around and realise that a man who already has many children does not necessarily expect wife 2 to be identical to wife 1 - in fact, if he did that would be foolish. If he's already got a barefoot-&-pregnant-housewife, the best addition to the team he is building may be a career woman. And vice versa - the man married to a career woman might be looking for a homemaker to complement her. Obviously on this matter strongly held views on contraceptives from a moral perspective would apply to all wives, but the point is still important to remember.

I would readily admit that in a way my number of children represents failure. I don’t have 14 children through the blessings of Biblical Patriarchy. Without a terrible divorce I would have been stopped at a quite average five. One of them is from a completely irresponsible and ungodly relationship and the three stepchildren represent similar failure from another direction. My incredible number of progeny are such an illogical blessing on a man who has nothing to suggest he deserves such favor. Partly because it is so absurd, humor is sometimes the only way to deal with it.

Clarification: When using the term 'legalism,' I am not (as in NO WAY) referring to Keeping Torah or anything related to head coverings. I'm using it in a much more broad general sense to refer to fundamentalist and/or Romanist emphasis on judging one's faith based on behavior and special rules for Christians (especially when even hinting at philosophies that tie ultimate salvation to these following these rules) -- and in a specific sense to rules along the lines of (a) expecting females to refrain from asking men out on dates, (b) expecting females to be deferential to men when it comes to stating preferences, (c) expecting females to be relatively silent when religious or other important topics are discussed, (d) expecting females to leave all leadership positions to males, or even (e) expecting females to always wait for males to initiate sexual behavior. I recoil in general in response to feminism and specifically to someone like Hillary Clinton yapping about the glass ceiling, but at the same time it's pretty unavoidable to notice that the fundamentalist sector of our overall culture does generally promote the message that females are supposed to be in the background, carefully avoiding the impression that they are being "too aggressive" lest they get the reputation of being "ballbusters" or just "too masculine," and, to the extent that females have internalized this message out of fear of being ostracized or overlooked when it comes to finding a mate, all I'm saying is that it's going to be hard to persuade them at an emotional level to be so forward as to directly indicate that they're interested in a particular family.
Interesting. I can see how someone could come to this impression, but again I expect it's completely wrong for many if not most of the men here. To run through those points just for myself: a) disagree; b) disagree - she must state her preference clearly even if he's making the decision, because his decision will be informed by her opinion; c) disagree, deep religious discussion is important - opinions about women in church leadership positions are a very narrow case that does not in any way mean an expectation of general silence in all religious discussion; d) mostly disagree, but would have a preference for male leadership in many settings; e) disagree, where's the fun in that?!!

The picture you are painting is very extreme and does not reflect the men here. But is this the actual picture that women are getting?

This on the other hand is correct, but doesn't have the above extreme implications:
even though as a group we're all stepping out on a libertarian limb by promoting polygamy, otherwise as a group we tend to be more religiously conservative than most other folks.

I would readily admit that in a way my number of children represents failure. I don’t have 14 children through the blessings of Biblical Patriarchy. Without a terrible divorce I would have been stopped at a quite average five. One of them is from a completely irresponsible and ungodly relationship and the three stepchildren represent similar failure from another direction. My incredible number of progeny are such an illogical blessing on a man who has nothing to suggest he deserves such favor. Partly because it is so absurd, humor is sometimes the only way to deal with it.
I hear you. I have numerous examples of wreckage in my own life (divorces, partially-abandoned son; etc.) and have found that humor is often an effective way to cope with the knowledge of it.

But what you just wrote exemplifies one of the main reasons why I so thoroughly love you, Zec. You own up to your brokenness -- something we all possess -- and when you articulate it, you help more impressionable (mostly younger) men avoid thinking that what we know to be the generator of wreckage is somehow romantic.

Interesting. I can see how someone could come to this impression, but again I expect it's completely wrong for many if not most of the men here. To run through those points just for myself: a) disagree; b) disagree - she must state her preference clearly even if he's making the decision, because his decision will be informed by her opinion; c) disagree, deep religious discussion is important - opinions about women in church leadership positions are a very narrow case that does not in any way mean an expectation of general silence in all religious discussion; d) mostly disagree, but would have a preference for male leadership in many settings; e) disagree, where's the fun in that?!!

And, with some variation, @FollowingHim, you are probably representative of most of the men here. However, while you know that, and I know that (believe me; I do) . . .

But is this the actual picture that women are getting?

. . . you've asked the salient question. I believe that is less likely to be the picture that women get once they attend retreats, but we all know that very few single suitable females make their way to the retreats; far more make their way to the web site. And when they do, what is the actual picture they're getting? I've been writing what I've been writing because I have the impression that the actual picture they're getting is closer to what I've been asserting it to be than your set of answers would represent.

I say this for more than one reason:

1. I've already had a handful of women (most of whom are longstanding members) assert to me that they occasionally or often refrain from expressing their opinions on certain topics -- or even 'liking' certain posts -- for fear of blowback or being seen as being too forward;

2. I wonder if there isn't a correlation between the over-representation of male voices here (not something I would do anything to regulate, by the way) and whether female voices consider themselves desired to be heard;

3. I'm not even a woman, and I myself get the impression a lot of the time that most of the men here believe that women are supposed to be subservient;

4. Isn't it fair to say that it's typical for men here to be automatically suspicious when a single woman does use the private messaging function to send a message indicating personal interest?; and

5. Consideration of the possibility that it may be no accident that this particular forum thread -- despite the OP extending an up-front invitation for them to do so -- has had very little participation from female members of Biblical Families (even taking out my own overparticipation, what we have is 40 male posts to 4 female posts).

I've already had a handful of women (most of whom are longstanding members) assert to me that they occasionally or often refrain from expressing their opinions on certain topics -- or even 'liking' certain posts -- for fear of blowback or being seen as being too forward
This is a longstanding problem I am also very aware of. Even @FollowingHim2 has often told me she is staying out of particular conversations for this very reason. It is a serious issue that I have tried to address from time to time, but probably in too mild-mannered a fashion. There is often an attitude of "the ladies section is a safe space for them, but if they post anywhere else we'll tell them bluntly what we think", and the result is that the number of thick-skinned ladies willing to regularly and frequently post in the main forum can be counted on one hand. This is not ok.

I'm not sure what to do about it though. It's easy to tell a man "this sentence in your post was technically incorrect". It's far more difficult to explain "everything you're saying is acceptable, but taken as a whole it's scaring the ladies, but I don't want you to stop saying what you believe, but I do want you to also...". An analytical brain cannot either formulate the rebuke, nor accept it as fair and reasonable.

"It's just the vibe of the thing"
(movie is "The Castle", if you haven't seen it, find it, classic Australian comedy with a deep theme of the individual standing up to the system that will resonate with all here)

The challenge for men is learning tact in their words and intentionally hearing what they are saying from another's viewpoint. I'm working on this myself, but became cognizant a few years ago of how I can come across in prose when I don't mean to sound harsh... but, I am not suggesting sensitivity training... lol.

Back