• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Poly Practised Elsewhere

Thai man with 8 wives.
Ong Dam Sorot, a young tattoo artist specializing in the traditional yantra style. Sorot is married not to one woman, but to seven, all of whom live under the same roof and consider themselves one big happy family.

The eight women described their husband as the kindest, most considerate man on Earth and claimed to get along wonderfully.

The young polygamist met his first wife, Nong Sprite at a friend’s wedding and quickly asked for her hand in marriage. The second, Nong L, he met at the market, and Nong Nan, his third wife, at the hospital. The fourth, fifth and sixth wives Sorot met via social media, Instagram, Facebook and TikTok, respectively. The seventh wife, Nong Film, the man met while visiting the Phra Pathom Chedi temple with his mother. And met his eighth wife, Nong Mai, while he was on holiday with four of his wives in Pattaya.

What's very interesting about this, is that it doesn't look like there are large age gaps. They all look pretty much around the same age as the husband.

Reading through this thread Kenya has been referenced a few times, polygyny has always been a part of the culture, however, it was made legal as a response to Obama visiting Kenya and attempting to push the gay agenda there.
I was not truly aware of the word patriarchy or patriarch growing up, when I heard of the word it made no sense to me to have a different word for what I understood to simply be a man.
The hit job religion has played on what it means to simply be a man has been devastating.
Thank YAH for the redemption and restoration of man. Thank YAH for women.

Thanks for the interesting article link Keith.

Their practice is not equivalent to the Levirate law.

"every widow is automatically transferred to one or more of her husband’s brothers"

It is incest according to Leviticus 20. The levirate law only comes into play when the brother dies childless. Otherwise, one is not allowed to marry the brother's widow.

It is incest according to Leviticus 20. The levirate law only comes into play when the brother dies childless. Otherwise, one is not allowed to marry the brother's widow.
I believe that you are adding to Scripture.
I don’t see that it is addressing widows.

I believe that you are adding to Scripture.
I don’t see that it is addressing widows.
I believe you are mistaken Steve. You seem to be assuming that "brother's wife" in Leviticus 20 verse 21 only refers to the present wife of a living brother, not his widow,.or divorced ex-wife.

If it is any comfort, Hunter Biden apparently agrees with your view. 😉

I don't think the larger context supports that assumption.

Following your logic, the following relationships would also be permitted for similar reasons.

1. His stepmom if his father has died or divorced her (verse 11). She isn't his father's wife anymore if the father is dead or has divorced her.

This is likely the situation Paul was dealing with in 1st Corinthians.

2. A man and his former daughter in law if the son has died or divorced her (verse 12). She isn't his daughter in law anymore after death or divorce.

3. A man and his former mother in law if his wife (her daughter) has died or divorced (verse 14). He isn't having them both at the same time. She isn't his mother in law any more.

4. A man and his aunt by marriage if his uncle dies or is divorced (verse 20). She isn't his uncle's wife any more.

I do not think your interpretation holds up under scrutiny. I believe all of these relationships are prohibited.

Why are any of these laws given in the first place? The stepmom, sister in law, aunt, and daughter in law issued are already covered under the basic commandment against adultery with another man's wife.

Your view makes all of these additional laws pointless in their redundancy.

There seems to be another principle at work here, against the sexualization of close relatives (including in laws).

The levirate law is an exception. In that case, the importance of raising up seed for the deceased man takes precedence.

As far as I know, the position I am taking is the nearly universal understanding of the Christian church throughout history, and also the nearly universal understanding of Jewish rabbis.

That doesn't mean I'm right, but I think there is a pretty good likelihood.

Australian Aborigines practice polygyny and an equivalent of the Levirate law:

Can we move this post to thread "Poly Practiced Elsewhere"?

Thread exist as archive for all such info. If post stay here seekers of additional info probably won't find it.

So it’s a sin to not marry your brother’s widow if she hasn’t produced a male heir.
But it’s a sin to marry her if she has produced one.
That’s totally logical. 😜

I believe you are mistaken Steve. You seem to be assuming that "brother's wife" in Leviticus 20 verse 21 only refers to the present wife of a living brother, not his widow,.or divorced ex-wife.
Present wife of living brother is adultery. Period.
Let's keep in mind there isn't a word that exactly means wife, right?
There is a verse that prohibits marrying your brother's or uncle's woman....assumed to be a former wife, as in divorced, or otherwise this is redundant. I can think of a lot of reasons for that. For one once she moves on reconciliation is not an option. For a lot of other reasons it would be confusing and cause a strain on family relationships.

To say something is wrong without a verse that says so is generally adding to scripture. It is the equivalent of saying that since a man marrying a mother and daughter is prohibited that you should only have one living wife.

Back