• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Poly Practised Elsewhere

Poly becoming wifespread in New York?:

Interesting answer:

Maybe polygyny will become socially acceptable.

I hold the opinion that if a man can't be loyal and faithful to one woman then he doesn't hold the moral character it would require to lead a polygamist relationship. Sometimes good, moral, monogamous men are the ones that would make the best husbands in polygamy.

Last edited:
Poly becoming wifespread in New York?:

Interesting answer:

Maybe polygyny will become socially acceptable.
I read that whole thread. Fascinating.

There is polygamy in Russia, and here is how it works

https://www.rbth.com/lifestyle/333895-there-is-polygamy-in-russia
"One might think that most of the members of these communities are Muslims, since Islam allows men to have up to four wives, however, the bulk of the group are Orthodox Russians. They believe that polygamy is an ancient Slavic custom that should be observed to this day."

It was both a Slavic and a Rus (i.e. Swedish) custom. At this point it looks like European monogamy was entirely a result of the Roman Catholic Church. Even the 'monogamous' GrecoRoman culture had concubinage. Doctrine of devils indeed.

The article below has references to polygamy among the New Zealand maori. Quite a long article but interesting insights if you have time to read it.

MAORI WOMEN IN TRADITIONAL FAMILY AND TRIBAL LIFE

This paper endeavours to reconstruct the role of women in traditional family and tribal life by collating and analysing the many references scattered throughout the ethnographic literature. As it follows the aims of recent monographs, one by Biggs focusing upon marriage, 1 and a second by Vayda, upon warfare 2 in traditional culture, it incorporates relevant data from these, particularly in regard to marriage.

The period to which the paper refers extends from 1769, when Captain James Cook rediscovered New Zealand, to approximately 1840, when New Zealand formally became a British colony.

Marriage Arrangements
The right of demonstrating preference in a love affair, or in making initial advances, was not restricted to men, and women frequently initiated liaisons. 46 Particularly where a woman was of higher rank than the man it might have been appropriate for her to do so. 47 She might publicly announce her choice to the tribe, or express her interest by such token gestures as squeezing the hand (ropa) of the man in a crowd, 48 or pinching his knee; 49 when initial advances were neglected she might employ a go-between or close friend to assist. 50 Shame at rejection occasionally precipitated quarrelling among groups related to the individuals concerned.

When two sisters both expressed a strong desire to have the same man as husband, their father or an elder relative might arbitrate. In the story of Marutuahu, a man desired by both daughters of Ruahiore, the latter endeavoured to settle the argument by assigning Maru' to the younger; since the elder refused to abandon her claim he became husband to both. Marutuahu was not consulted during the discussion.

The article below has references to polygamy among the New Zealand maori. Quite a long article but interesting insights if you have time to read it.

MAORI WOMEN IN TRADITIONAL FAMILY AND TRIBAL LIFE

This paper endeavours to reconstruct the role of women in traditional family and tribal life by collating and analysing the many references scattered throughout the ethnographic literature. As it follows the aims of recent monographs, one by Biggs focusing upon marriage, 1 and a second by Vayda, upon warfare 2 in traditional culture, it incorporates relevant data from these, particularly in regard to marriage.

The period to which the paper refers extends from 1769, when Captain James Cook rediscovered New Zealand, to approximately 1840, when New Zealand formally became a British colony.

Marriage Arrangements
The right of demonstrating preference in a love affair, or in making initial advances, was not restricted to men, and women frequently initiated liaisons. 46 Particularly where a woman was of higher rank than the man it might have been appropriate for her to do so. 47 She might publicly announce her choice to the tribe, or express her interest by such token gestures as squeezing the hand (ropa) of the man in a crowd, 48 or pinching his knee; 49 when initial advances were neglected she might employ a go-between or close friend to assist. 50 Shame at rejection occasionally precipitated quarrelling among groups related to the individuals concerned.

When two sisters both expressed a strong desire to have the same man as husband, their father or an elder relative might arbitrate. In the story of Marutuahu, a man desired by both daughters of Ruahiore, the latter endeavoured to settle the argument by assigning Maru' to the younger; since the elder refused to abandon her claim he became husband to both. Marutuahu was not consulted during the discussion.
That is a very good article. It is well organised with subheadings so is easily skimmed through to find sections of interest.

The most influential aspect of Maori society on current NZ attitudes towards sex and marriage was the level of premarital sexual freedom. Unmarried women were generally expected to be sexually active (apart from some daughters of chiefs who were set aside for political alliances and expected to remain virgins until then). Visitors to the tribe would be entertained by the unmarried women (and white sailors etc greatly enjoyed this hospitality).

Marriage generally occurred when a couple had been already sleeping together for some time, it had become exclusive, and the tribe acknowledged that they were now a couple. From that point on the woman was bound to that man, and adultery was severely punishable.

This attitude towards sex and marriage was maintained among many Maori, and helped to hasten the adoption of such fluid sexual practices by in particular the lower classes of European settlers, resulting in present-day culture where cohabitation before marriage is the norm, and marriage is a later recognition of a pre-existing relationship.

Now, obviously that attitude independently developed in the rest of the Western world also, and is not solely due to a Maori influence. However, I believe it was an important element of this in New Zealand.

Polygamy died out partly because of European influence, but it had always been an expression of the wealth and prestige of the chiefs. As their wealth and prestige declined, their polygamy would naturally decline also as they could no longer support multiple wives.

From that point on the woman was bound to that man, and adultery was severely punishable.

And this is true in any long term stable society. Without it they fail. This is a cross cultural truth. As is....

always been an expression of the wealth and prestige of the chiefs. As their wealth and prestige declined, their polygamy would naturally decline also as they could no longer support multiple wives.

As in most polygamous societies only a minority practiced it. Though I'd call it less of a prestige thing and more of a 'those who can, do' thing (though it may have been partly a prestige thing in some cultures, just like having a beautiful woman on your arm has an aspect of prestige though it is universally desired in it's own right

Found this picture on Twitter:

View attachment 4283

Speaking of culture, the usual discussion around this is about the character of the man, but it's really an issue of that culture. Those women come from a culture where you make money by having children with multiple fathers and then live off the welfare / child support. They are taught this by their own mothers as the way to go about it.

The only true victims are the children denied a safe loving home lead by a father.

I don't recall where I saw it recently but I think the figure was somewhere around 70%. Or maybe it was 70% of those who do time in prison come from fatherless homes(?) Anyway, it's a bad number.
Which was the point I was going to make. Fathers in prison is just another symptom of the single mother welfare child support system.

A quick search revealed that around a third of the black male population is projected to serve time. Those are problems in their own right but they're not the ones choosing to have these children with multiple baby daddies.

Polygamy is very common in Africa, they seem to be more drawn to it than other races. Unfortunately in our Godless, socially engineered society that impulse takes a degenerate form.

An example of 'multiplying women' I would expect. Don't take on more than you can handle.
Some amusing quotes to come out of this though!
His urge to reproduce came as a young man when his only sibling, a brother, advised him to marry “many wives” and ensure that the family expanded. He appears to have taken on the challenge with the utmost dedication.

“How can a man be satisfied with one woman? That is a sign of being born a man but with female hormones,” he told The Daily Monitor, a Ugandan newspaper, in a recent interview.

“All my wives … live together in the same house. It’s easy for me to monitor them and also stop them from eloping with other men in the village.”
:oops:

Back