• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Poly themed movies

A movie with a polygamy aspect is "The Duchess"; a British drama based on the life of Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire. She shared her husband with another woman, Bess Foster, which is plainly presented in the movie.

Not exaclty a polygamy movie, but a levirate marriage movie:

"Loving Leah" (2009) from Hallmark Hall of Fame.

Good movie. Fun and interesting to watch. Ruth Ann and I watched it last night.

There are 4 copies on youtube.com of it as I type this.
I love that movie!! I found it on Hallmark a few months ago. I've watched it a couple times now.

What timing! Didn't even have to search very far for this thread. This just popped up on the tv while I was cleaning...enjoy!

A movie with a polygamy aspect is "The Duchess"; a British drama based on the life of Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire. She shared her husband with another woman, Bess Foster, which is plainly presented in the movie.

A true story. I read the book. The was very beautiful. She was a fashion statement of the time and was loved by everyone except her husband who had a preference Bess Foster. She ran up lots of debts and sort of had to put up with it to get her husband to pay for everything.

Not exaclty a polygamy movie, but a levirate marriage movie:

"Loving Leah" (2009) from Hallmark Hall of Fame.

Good movie. Fun and interesting to watch. Ruth Ann and I watched it last night.

There are 4 copies on youtube.com of it as I type this.

Just now rewatching this I picked up an error. They said when introducing Levirate marriage that an unmarried brother was obligated, but of course we all know that the brother was obligated whether he is married or not. The truth got Hallmarked! :)

Just now rewatching this I picked up an error. They said when introducing Levirate marriage that an unmarried brother was obligated, but of course we all know that the brother was obligated whether he is married or not. The truth got Hallmarked! :)
Watched this twice and loved it! Another thread suggested "The Substitute Wife" and that had me bawling at the end...#sogood.

I picked up on that too. I think it would have been MUCH more interesting if Jake would had just recently tied the knot with his steady girl...

I have often thought about the seven brothers that the Sadducees referred to. Most likely, they were fictitious, but can you imagine that scenario, where the only brother who was married, was the brother that was married to the woman? What would be the odds?

In fact, I emailed my pastor after a Mother's Day sermon, where he mentioned that the nearer kinsman redeemer whom Boaz approached about Ruth already had a wife. I said that in modern Western society, asking the nearer kinsman redeemer to take her to be his wife, would have been unthinkable, but it was not unthinkable back then, for in the second verse of the very next book, we see that Elkanah has two wives.

The funny thing is, Boaz felt compelled to ask him, because of the fact that he was a nearer kinsman. We know that Boaz wanted Ruth for himself. I have to wonder if the modern English translations word the response from the nearer kinsman redeemer too strongly, when he says that he CANNOT do so. If he could not do so, why would Boaz have even asked him in the first place?

Last edited:
In fact, I emailed my pastor after a Mother's Day sermon, where he mentioned that the nearer kinsman redeemer whom Boaz approached about Ruth already had a wife. I said that in modern Western society, asking the nearer kinsman redeemer to take her to be his wife, would have been unthinkable, but it was not unthinkable back then, for in the second verse of the very next book, we see that Elkanah has two wives.

The funny thing is, Boaz felt compelled to ask him, because of the fact that he was a nearer kinsman. We know that Boaz wanted Ruth for himself. I have to wonder if the modern English translations word the response from the nearer kinsman redeemer too strongly, when he says that he CANNOT do so. If he could not do so, why would Boaz have even asked him in the first place?
That is a very good observation. This has been used as evidence against polygamy, but when pondered you have shown it is clearly evidence for it. Thanks.

Dallas, Season 14 Episode 18, we learned in the previous episode that James has a FW that in this episode, we find out, he didn't realize he was still married to. JR struggles to figure out a resolution that won't either send the FW away, nor jeopardize James' marriage to Michelle. John Ross asks James directly about the fact that he has two wives. I find it interesting that it took 14 seasons for polygamy to explicitly appear in that show, given all the love triangles. When Michelle is first introduced, she asked Bobby is he was a one woman, man, to which he replied "Yes to both" (also if he was attached). Somehow, the idea of sharing Bobby with another woman, was not such a problem for her back then, but now that she owns Ewing Oil, sharing James, IS a big deal. Oh! We also have James moving out of his bedroom that he shares with Michelle, because he is concerned about morality, as if having two wives was immoral, so the show is clearly slanted against poly, but it is obvious that polygamy would solve the problem they are facing. Polygamy would have solved numerous problems the characters on that show face (JR with Sue Ellen and her sister, Bobby with Pam and her half sister, Bobby with Jenna and Pam, JR with Callie and Vanessa, Ray with Jenna and that crazy woman whose name escapes me, Cliff with Jamie and April albeit she was divorced, Clayton with Miss Ellie and Laurel). Well, what can you expect from daytime television!

If he could not do so, why would Boaz have even asked him in the first place?
Because Boaz was required to give him first right of refusal.
He could have married her as required, but it would have interfered with his first son’s inheritance, from my understanding.

Because Boaz was required to give him first right of refusal.
He could have married her as required, but it would have interfered with his first son’s inheritance, from my understanding.
Then obviously that man COULD have taken her to be his wife.

Exactly. Boaz only approached him because he could, technically, have chosen to marry her. Boaz would have known full well that the man was already married.
The fact that he felt it would jeapordise the inheritance of his son or children in some way, and so he chose not to marry her, was his own decision. He only got to make that decision, because he had the legitimate choice to make the opposite decision.

Dallas, Season 14 Episode 18, we learned in the previous episode that James has a FW that in this episode, we find out, he didn't realize he was still married to. JR struggles to figure out a resolution that won't either send the FW away, nor jeopardize James' marriage to Michelle. John Ross asks James directly about the fact that he has two wives. I find it interesting that it took 14 seasons for polygamy to explicitly appear in that show, given all the love triangles. When Michelle is first introduced, she asked Bobby is he was a one woman, man, to which he replied "Yes to both" (also if he was attached). Somehow, the idea of sharing Bobby with another woman, was not such a problem for her back then, but now that she owns Ewing Oil, sharing James, IS a big deal. Oh! We also have James moving out of his bedroom that he shares with Michelle, because he is concerned about morality, as if having two wives was immoral, so the show is clearly slanted against poly, but it is obvious that polygamy would solve the problem they are facing. Polygamy would have solved numerous problems the characters on that show face (JR with Sue Ellen and her sister, Bobby with Pam and her half sister, Bobby with Jenna and Pam, JR with Callie and Vanessa, Ray with Jenna and that crazy woman whose name escapes me, Cliff with Jamie and April albeit she was divorced, Clayton with Miss Ellie and Laurel). Well, what can you expect from daytime television!
Whoa! Haven't heard this much of Dallas in years! It's funny how many men watched the nighttime soaps like Dallas, Dynasty, and Falcon's Crest, but would never admit to watching a daytime soap back then.

Most of the drama of these shows relies on relationship struggles that wouldn't exist if they would just accept polygyny.

I never watched the shows....but my aunt loved Dallas. I think I know the theme song by heart. :confused:

Back