• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Polygyny friendly neighborhood

Revgill87123

Male
If some one here on BF bought a plot of land to start a community for like minded families, would you move there? I mean if it's like minded people who are into PM not so much a religious deal.

Depends on where, ;)

I think unity would be good. So I would have to consider it, yes.

I was thinking honestly of maybe raising the money to start a polygyny friendly community. By my estimates from people I know it would take me by myself around 3 years to build up the money to buy the land. Then build my house and section off the land for every one else to build as well. I would love if the residents all helped build each others houses as too build unity and so forth help offset the construction costs. Out here in New Mexico I have talked to a few people about this in high positions and they have said to me that they don't mind as long as we are not a religion that is forcing a belief on any one or having children for wives and so forth. The land is cheap for large acres purchases. More so as long as we are paying taxes and are a self supporting community, they don't care. I mean I'd like to find a trust worthy person to start a community trust to get this going. So more people would be on this and more willing to go into this feeling great about being able to live with like minded people. Idk for now it's an idea untill I know I got a couple other people to help set ideas and so forth of acreage and so forth as well as location. Right now it's just a dream but a dream I would love to come true. :)

Sounds like a wonderful idea. I've always wanted to live in a community of like-minded believers; however, I don't want to be a part of a community that is too seclusive. You can't share the love of Christ to all nations if the neighborhood is secluded to only certain individuals.

Greetings!

Wow - what a small world as they say! Both I and Lutherangirl have discussed this topic many times. I do agree with Lutherangirl in her concerns that we wouldn't want to be in a closed in community that closes us off from the rest of the world. It's kind of hard to let our "little lights shine," if we're keeping em hid under the bushel of a private closed off community. ;) As far as such a community goes, it would be a blessing to live in such a community for support, encouragement & growth in the wisdom of the Lord, as united brothers & sisters in Christ. It would also be nice for the children of plural families. For them to be able to feel safe, understood & connected with other like minded families.To be able to have friends of their age to fellowship with and have Godly & enjoyable friendships with as well.

It would be nice to keep it opened to the surrounding communities, to people who would honestly be interested in learning all Biblical Truths of Yeshua's written & spoken Truths for us all. Kind of like the mission fields of pm, where the missionaries would "bring them in, instead of always having to be sent out!" Especially helpful if the community were able to organize & put together it's own church for us all to learn, grow & fellowship & unite in Christ in. If such a community of believers were "kept open," it would also be an added blessing for those families who have "gotten the boot," from their previous church families & for those families who are just in the beginning stages of studying & seeking Yeshua's will regarding pm. And of course everyone would need to consider it's location and future job prospects for those who may choose to re-locate, to be able to continue to provide for & support their families. Great idea though Rev! Something to be kept lifted in prayer & open for discussion for sure! :D

F.S.

A couple of us have discussed this before and what we were thinking about was a situation not where we all lived on the same piece of property, but rather where we all live close to one another. Say within 30 minutes to an hours drive time. Tennessee has been looking good for that idea.

Revgill87123 said:
If some one here on BF bought a plot of land to start a community for like minded families, would you move there? I mean if it's like minded people who are into PM not so much a religious deal."
I've thought for a while that buying a lot of land in a state with wide open spaces and a small population would be the best course of action.

You wouldn't even have to live there year round, but you could register to vote there, and establish residency there which would require visiting for one or two weeks a year. That could be the "Biblical Families Retreat" or some other organization.

A for instance. In Petroleum County Montana, there are such bustling burgs as "Cat Creek," "Mosby" and the county seat, "Winnett." The population is less than 500 for the whole county and recently a whole (huge) ranch was sold there for cheap money. It's one of the few places in the world where raw acreage is dirt cheap.

Such a "community" would allow for the take over of county services through elective office, and so on. There is more than one county with such attractive "low population" in Montana, and there are similar places in Wyoming for instance. Petroleum though, is the county with the tiniest population.

Close but not too close. I have seen the too close idea fail. Duke has the right idea. It is interesting that usually suggestions include whatever area you are from. New Mexico, Tenn., etc. The idea about finding a low population area and then help elect favorable politicians is different. Very few people can live off of open land. You need to grow up doing it to be able to do it, in my opinion. A general area that has enough economy that people can get jobs sounds fine and being within driving distance.

Revgill87123 said:
If some one here on BF bought a plot of land to start a community for like minded families, would you move there? I mean if it's like minded people who are into PM not so much a religious deal.

That would be a good idea but I wouldn't want to be too isolated from other populations (as in the ones that don't practice polygamy). It wouldn't work out for me personally because I like the cold and don't want to live in places that's too rural (country-like, lots of farms, little population, mostly trees/forests, mountains, etc.) nor would I want to live in places that's too urban (big city, overpopulation, etc); I'd actually want a mixture between the two and Washington State and some parts of Oregon have cities like that! Well, let me stop dreaming here and get back to my homework.

welltan said:
The idea about finding a low poplulation area and then help elect favorable politicians I had not thought of. Very few people can live off of open land."
This was tried (I'm not the first to think of it) in "Loving" county Texas. There are other groups that have thought of it as well. The idea is not to "live off the land" but to establish residency and "officially" and legally live there.

Say for instance that you built a "RV" park with "pads" owned by various tenants. Every summer a "Biblical Families" retreat is held there for two weeks. The owners of the various "pads" do things to document their official stay, and they all vote (probably by absentee ballot) in local elections. They're on the property tax rolls, everything is legal, all requirements are met. Those folks then go back to where they came from the rest of the time and conduct their lives NORMALLY from their "other homes."

If 200 voters registered in Petroleum county Montana, or Arthur county Nebraska, the effect is they would own local government. This then becomes a base of operations, it would also ultimately supply jobs to some of the members of the group. I daresay you would own the "Dog Catcher" race, along with the "Justice of the Peace" and the local Sheriff, providing they are elective offices. Chances are good you could begin to inhabit county jobs like "ClerK" and DMV positions as well.

I've thought this through by the way :)

Not a bad Idea at all Hugh! I was only thinking out side of Albuquerque cause it is close to a city but far enough out that you won't be bothered with bigotry of living in a large mixed community. I seen a lot of land for sale about 15 minutes out of town. As far as the comunity being open I would say 100% as long as you are open then every one will think you have nothing to hide.

It could be anywhere, the second smallest county by population is in Hawaii, it's a leper colony with only 20 remaining members. I don't know if anyone can move there or if the state plans to absorb it when it's last few members pass on. The smallest county is in Texas, the aforementioned "Loving" county, but we know how Texas can be.

There is a larger county of about 600 residents with the smallest county seat in the USA, in North Dakota. I was thinking in terms of a balance between central (ish) location, possible attractiveness (things to do), county size and overall state population. That makes Montana the winner. If you discount "things to do" then North Dakota is the possible winner. If you drop "central (ish) location," there is a small county/township in Alaska with less than 1000 people on the pacific coast panhandle.

There are about three or four counties of the right size in Central Nebraska, but the state is fairly large for overall population.

A year or so ago I was on a "Hot Springs" kick, and found this property:
http://www.faywood.com/Information.htm
http://www.billydonnelrealestate.com/Si ... 673C.shtml

It's about 4hrs from Albuquerque, New Mexico, and sites on something like 1,280 acres.
It's listed at $1,999,000 but it hasn't changed since I last looked at it. I imagine a serious offer would be considered.
I can't say I have the cash to buy something like that alone, but you never know what a "community" could pull together. If its God's will I've seen him do crazier. ;)

Sounds cool, or hot, depending on the time of year :) I tend to weigh potential political impact in the sense that you can be a big enough fish in a small enough pond that they won't bother you, or would think at least twice about it. That makes Montana and North Dakota great spots because you could maybe field a state representative and a sheriff to increase your profile and shield you against some inquisitive invasiveness.

Well the raising money part I was thinking of small business ventures to raise the money. I would def want a community in wich I can live. 1,200 acres is a good peice of land. Cause after people move in you could build a school, stores, offices, ect. Like I said become a self supportive community. There are people here from all walks of life with some thing to bring. Like me I am good at farming, construction, business planning, internet sales and of course praisin the Lord! If people really would like to do some thing about this I mean really lets put our heads together. I am willing to go where ever. I keep having a lot of dreams about this happening. I am thinking maybe it is a vision of things to come. I keept thinking "Oh it just a dream" but I keep dreaming about it. A place where my kids can have friends to play with, with out other kids parents starting mess cause of the way I believe. I mean really why don't we figure out how to come together and make this happen? I think it could work.

Prayer and fasting is a good place to start.
Since I've been married (7yrs) I have been having dreams about a community in a large "cabin" in the mountains (It's huge, like an airplane hanger with houses inside it). I always stand looking out the front windows and its snowing. I can hear the hustle and bustle of many other people behind me singing songs and laughing. When I wake up I feel quite happy.
I figured it was a dream about my lineage though, but hey you never know, it could be sooner. A couple months ago I didn't know like minded PM people existed, lol.

I don't want a poly community. But I would like to live close enough to others that we could spend time together. Right now I am lucky in a way. We live an hour's drive from two other practicing poly families. We are able to worship together, learn together and fellowship together. This is an amazing feat of God's grace. But I want to be closer to them, so that we can spend more time together. I would love nothing better than to be able to have the women over for lunch and to be able to just "hang" together.

That is one of the amazing things about the retreats. We all hang together and talk and share and we are almost always blessed to grow in our friendships.

But the "community thing" screams of compound to my way of thinking. I am not interested in living in a "point of interest."

SweetLissa

sweetlissa said:
But the "community thing" screams of compound to my way of thinking. I am not interested in living in a "point of interest."

Yeah, I definately would not do anything compound feeling. But reasonable driving distance is very attractive to me. Maybe we should stay away from kool-aid also just to be sure. lol,jk

Live where ever you want, two weeks a year does not a "compound" make.

One factor that was mentioned before is moving somewhere where a poly community would have good political power or sway. I'd really recommend then moving to a more liberal/democrat area because they tend to be more "tolerant", although that can have its good and bad, but if anyone is planning to challenge the courts for their lifestyle, I'd recommend going anywhere from California to Washington State. In fact, I believe Seattle, Washington has a little concentration of people who engage in poly-lifestyles but I think they are mostly polyamarous rather than polygynous, but it would still be worth a shot for anyone willing to go through the process.

Back