• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Practical Circumcision Query

I don't have any advice on the circumcision front, but congrats and good luck in your unassisted homebirth! I'm having qualms about calling our ob/midwife. The medical system is really stacked against the patient which is exactly what it's not supposed to be like. We're 15 weeks and haven't been seen by anyone as of yet. I'm trying to talk @Soldier's Psalm into delivering this one, but he's not sold on the idea. Lol.
Tell him an old Marine said to Ranger up and get this done, oorah, errrrrrrrrrr, death kill Yut! Semper Fi do or die!

if only it had been a month earlier, you could have brought him to the Florida retreat and we could have made it a community effort.

It occurs to me now that we might have to have proof of id to be seen by a dr. ?? I guess the first step should be finding out about a birth certificate...hmm.

Acouple asides.
Interesting blend of folks we have on here: freebirthers/no vax/no circ, homebirthers/no vax/circ, etc., etc. I'm hoping the FollowingHims and Rustys will weigh in too. :)
The no-vax is a new road (as is freebirth) for me...usually takes me a bit to get used to the next level of weird. ;)

We have taken children into hospital without certificates....never had an issue. Just fill out the patient info.

No vax is a non issue for emergency care...or scheduled procedures. Don't do well baby checkups and it's not a problem. My mom took me for one....never took me back.

Here our primary care physician can be naturopath or chiropractor.

I guess the first step should be finding out about a birth certificate...hmm.
In Az you have a year to get the birth certificate following homebirth. Ask around. Parents ID is usually all that is needed with a doctor's office. Pay cash at visit and insurance company policies don't matter either.

Ya no one cares about birth certificates until you go to try and get a drivers license (and sometimes insurance). The hospital or doctor might not even ask for proof of ID.

The no-vax thing is usually only a problem for pediatricians and sometimes family docs. In the hospital they'll ask but are used to people not being caught up on shots. Usually they just ask if they're caught up on their immunization schedule; which is a yes since MY immunization schedule is different than theirs.

It is good to have a 'primary care provider', even if that is a naturopath who only see when necessary. CPS doesn't like it if you don't have a doctor you work with and will ask as will hospitals. But they understand the no-vax thing makes it hard to use a pediatrician.

I did home birth and denied all shots/ointments. My kiddo has only been in for his 2 month visit to establish a doctor should he ever need to go in. 2 years and no need for a doctors visit so far, so this little non vaccinated child sure is healthy. We didn’t circumcise either.
I’m open to free birth maybe a few births down the road, but never hope for a hospital birth again.

Is "free birth" what they are calling unassisted now?? So not up on the times lol

We don't circumcise our boys. Simple logical process:
1) I don't believe the current standard medical circumcision reflects true Biblical circumcision, as shown in links posted above. I don't want to subject my boys to something far in excess of what God ever intended, and reduce their future sexual enjoyment for no sound reason other than "that's what's available".
2) My understanding of God changes over time. Years ago I saw circumcision as completely unnecessary and a Jewish thing, then I moved to a more Hebrew Roots perspective, now I'm going to a more nuanced position between the two. Given I am still learning and am not fully settled on this matter, would it be right to do something with permanent, irreversible consequences for my boys, when I know I may come to a different understanding and regret it in future?
3) A more minor cut could obviously be done at home - but there'd be a very serious risk of prosecution for "abuse" and removal of children if the authorities ever heard of it. Given my lack of conviction on this issue, we don't see this as important enough issue to risk the entire family over. (If anyone does see it as important enough to do themselves, absolutely never say so on a public forum such as this one, that would be extremely foolhardy and, to be honest, unloving towards your children as they'd be even more seriously affected by such consequences than you would).

Tell him an old Marine said to Ranger up and get this done, oorah, errrrrrrrrrr, death kill Yut! Semper Fi do or die!
Haha! I can get behind the cutting the cord with a hatchet idea but I don't know about doing it all. The wife did show me a YouTube video of a woman catching her own baby. That is some Rambo stuff. I think I will just stick to helping make the babies and I'll pay someone to do the rest. lol In all seriousness I think with some YouTube "how too videos" and some newspaper I could do it no problem.

My first home birth (all 12 born at home) was doctor-assisted, or was supposed to be. (Shows how old I am; the same doctor couldn't assist our second birth because his insurer had informed him he'd lose his malpractice insurance....) He lived just a few blocks away from us, so we were going through labor unassisted, and he was supposed to arrive in time to supervise the actual delivery. We called him when we thought it was time (total newbies), and he showed up pretty quick, only to tell us we still had a ways to go. So when we called him back, with the baby almost crowning, the doc was taking a shower and getting ready to go to work, so it took him a few more minutes to show up, with the result that he walked into the bedroom as I was catching the baby.

I don't know what we would have done without that interesting 'accident', probably would have just let the doctor and later midwives handle the whole situation, but after that experience I ended up catching all twelve and am glad I did.

Go for it, SP! :cool:

All of ours were hospital. Since then we've owned dairy goats with about 100 deliveries over six seasons. Some with complications, have gone in almost to my elbow to make adjustments... knowing what I know now, would totally do homebirth and catch them myself.

All of ours were hospital. Since then we've owned dairy goats with about 100 deliveries over six seasons. Some with complications, have gone in almost to my elbow to make adjustments... knowing what I know now, would totally do homebirth and catch them myself.
I was born in the hospital....and my mom is sure that is where I was supposed to be born. I was three weeks early, and their only child before me was stillborn. My Dads family was very opposed to homebirth, my moms siblings were born at home....she wanted that too. All the doc did was catch me with one hand while saying "Don't push" as the nurse helped put his other glove on. No time thankfully for standard procedures like episiotomy. The Dr did so little he only charged half his regular fee of $500.00 and YHWH paid for it as somehow my folks bank account got credited the precise cost....and when my parent's brought it to the attention of the bank they could not figure out where the money came from and so told them to keep it.

All my sisters were born at home, some with a family friend midwife who didnt charge because she enjoyed just being there for a calm labor and delivery. I was there for the last two myself.

Later we had dairy goats and I watched and helped with many a delivery. It is different when you are the one birthing, but the experience still helps with understanding what is normal.

My mom was there for our first, it was just hubby and I for the next seven, and then on our last we let the daughters be there.

I was induced in the hospital to deliver stillborn triplets in 2014, and it was very hands off as the babies were gone. My mom was there for that one too.

I LOVE the peace of being home, and hubby and I together finishing the "project" with YHWH's help and inspiration.

People usually are afraid of "What if's" when considering homebirth. When someone asks that question I tell them about my aunt who had eight of her nine at home, with her husband "catching the kids" and then a c-section on her last for placenta previa. YHWH led them to go to the hospital, and provided the perfect doctor. My aunt left the hospital with her perfect baby girl and her uterus....and most doctors would have performed a hysterectomy because of complications, knowing too that they did not plan on having more.

Life is a walk of faith for the faithful, and sometimes we walk in new teritory.

If I may continue this beautiful tangent... the beautiful thing about homebirth is in letting go. Letting go of control, of fear, of faith in medicine and trusting in God and in your husband. This process can deepen your faith and reduce labor pains. It also forms a very strong bond between you and your spouse; the kind only forged in entrusting your life to his hands.

I've seen that. And not just with my wife. Having saved animals through birth and through sickness, I've seen how that changes their attitude and behavior towards you when they let go of their fear, for the animal because they have no other choice, and see the fruit of trusting the husbandman. I've seen close ties made, radical changes in behavior occur; there is even a style of horse training that uses this principle.

Just a word of caution amidst this beautiful optimism.
The health and physical fitness of the mother is seen by some midwives as a very important factor in having an event-free birth.

Just a word of caution amidst this beautiful optimism.
The health and physical fitness of the mother is seen by some midwives as a very important factor in having an event-free birth.

100% yes.

I went down to the see the probate judge (only told her I was having a midwife deliver) to find out what all I needed to get a BC, and she was very accommodating. If it's a boy, I'll just call pediatricians after the birth to ask about circumcision.

Thank you all for sharing your stories! It is so encouraging to hear about so many homebirths assisted or not.

Back