• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Prevalence

His common is plural marriage in the States? It seems like an underground lifestyle. I have polyamorous friends, but they are not married. I did read on here about the disagreement about that. I am just exploring not judging anyone. What is the best part of having multiple wives/sharing a husband? I have only had one bf so I can’t imagine being married to two or more people.

Polywannabees outnumber the folks living the life substantially.
Polyamourous are more common, but when you add the word marriage it becomes a commited thing with a more serious nature. This tends to be more of a belief system, but one rejected by many religions. So then those living this way either lose their religious friends or keep it on the low down.

*shrugs*

That is largely why this website and ministry exists. To support people doing FAMILY with an old fashioned aspect.

Polywannabees outnumber the folks living the life substantially.
Polyamourous are more common, but when you add the word marriage it becomes a commited thing with a more serious nature. This tends to be more of a belief system, but one rejected by many religions. So then those living this way either lose their religious friends or keep it on the low down.

*shrugs*

That is largely why this website and ministry exists. To support people doing FAMILY with an old fashioned aspect.
That’s sad to lose friends just because of a life choice, especially if you are religious. In my experience those are the least loving people even though they say they are.

That’s sad to lose friends just because of a life choice, especially if you are religious. In my experience those are the least loving people even though they say they are.
Agreed. Sadly our non believing neighbors are better examples of living the golden rule.

I can understand why people defend what they believe very passionately.
The problem is that they haven’t studied the issue, they just grew up believing what their faith taught them.

So yes, it is sadly underground for many of us that practice it. We typically aren’t allowed full participation at the worship centers of our choice.
But we thrive in our communities, while generally dreaming of living in compounds of like minded people. Yeah, that’s just a dream.

I have only had one bf so I can’t imagine being married to two or more people.
One thing that is very important to understand is that polygyny (multiple wives, which almost everyone means when they say "polygamy") and polyandry (multiple husbands) are two very very different things. Don't try imagining you, as a woman, being married to two people - that's not what we're talking about in the slightest.

Marriage is always between one man and one woman.

However, the natural state of human society is to have more women than men. This is because although basically the same number of men and women are born, men always die off at a faster rate - even in Western society. If you look at the gender distribution of the population in almost any country today, once people reach marriageable age there are more women than men, and the ratio only increases as people get older. This discrepancy is far more pronounced in harsh environments and after war. Naturally there are more women than men. (The only exception to this rule is cultures that practice sex-selective abortion or female infanticide. Today we see this in China - they have more men than women because of the one-child-policy, which is truly evil.)

And the natural solution for this, to provide for those women, is for some men to have multiple marriages. So in most traditional cultures, every woman has only one husband - but some men have more than one wife. Alternatively they might have a "wife" and some "concubines" or whatever, but you get the idea.

On the other hand, it is almost impossible to find historical examples of societies that practiced polyandry (multiple husbands). I have only ever heard of two, and can only recall one - the Inuit. In their harsh environment, female babies were frequently killed off when times were tough. This meant that they had more men than women. And they did practice polyandry - two brothers would share one wife. But this was not a good thing in any way - she was effectively the slave of two men, it is not a position any woman would want to be in. I have never heard a positive story about historical polyandry.

They're just two completely different things that are not comparable. What we are talking about is simply the natural state of mankind.
His common is plural marriage in the States?
Not common. However, people living in really messy situations that would be best resolved by recognising them as polygamy is very common!
I have polyamorous friends, but they are not married.
The key element that separates polygamy from polyamory is commitment. The purpose of it is not to experiment with some sexual fun. It is to provide a committed relationship that can be a stable foundation for life and family. Marriage (monogamy or polygamy) isn't really about sex - that's just a detail. On the other hand, polyamory is very much about sex - the very definition of it is that you're free to have sex with multiple people. We're focussed on family structure, not bedroom athletics.

Last edited:
His common is plural marriage in the States? It seems like an underground lifestyle. I have polyamorous friends, but they are not married. I did read on here about the disagreement about that. I am just exploring not judging anyone. What is the best part of having multiple wives/sharing a husband? I have only had one bf so I can’t imagine being married to two or more people.
To add to what has already been said; when a man takes a woman to be his, the relationship is a covenant between himself and the woman. If he takes another woman to be his, from a biblical standpoint the relationship is exactly the same; a covenant between himself and the woman. There is no formal relationship between the two (or more) women who belong to the man; they are not 'married" to each other but are in monogamous relationships with their man. Some find this a little difficult to accept but it's what is clearly presented in the Bible.

A lot of us have been kicked out of churches and lost a lot of friends for just daring to speak truthfully about what the Bible actually says.

That's ok. Jesus our Master was also despised, and He appreciates our honesty.

An additional reason for polygyny over polyandry or polyamory is the genetic lineage being traceable. A woman with multiple partners provides no evidence of who the father is and men, at their basest instinct, care for their own children with much more diligence than those of an unknown (rival).

What is fascinating is that in Scripture, the laws of agriculture mirror those of marriage... a field (the woman) cannot have mixed seed (the man).

I think all parties involved would have to be VERY committed to the idea of marriage (however you structure that) because where I come from a woman cannot depend on a man to provide a living. I have been raised to be independent and hope for the best, but if/when things fall through I will have the skill and ability to support myself and my children if I ever have them. Relying on a man is not something I ever considered reasonable. I’m sure men could say the same in various aspects of women, but I am just speaking for myself here as a young adult female. Polygyny seems particularly risky in that line of thinking

I think all parties involved would have to be VERY committed to the idea of marriage (however you structure that) because where I come from a woman cannot depend on a man to provide a living. I have been raised to be independent and hope for the best, but if/when things fall through I will have the skill and ability to support myself and my children if I ever have them. Relying on a man is not something I ever considered reasonable. I’m sure men could say the same in various aspects of women, but I am just speaking for myself here as a young adult female. Polygyny seems particularly risky in that line of thinking
With the average feller out there, I would definitely agree with you.
But a girl doesn’t marry the average, she only marries one.

The beautiful thing about marrying a man that already has a wife is that you can see his history and whether or not he has been trustworthy.

Last edited:
I think all parties involved would have to be VERY committed to the idea of marriage
Marriage is supposed to be a commitment. Most of the vows traditionally made are closing loopholes so that if something happens to change your life circumstances no one in the marriage can say that it's a reason to abandon the other. You cannot say I didn't sign up for this. YOU DID!
Sadly many vow for better or worse, but only mean for better. My brother in law got one of that sort. He is now disabled from an accident, but even after his injury was still working harder then most able bodied men, running a business and providing for his family. His wife no longer wanted to be faithful, or stay with him.
Relying on a man is not something I ever considered reasonable.
Relying on a man is what I fully expected to do. If something happened to him I would figure out a course of action to support myself, but I have always been a stay at home mom....thankfully.

Our sons are old fashioned. They view providing for a wife and children as a serious responsibility, one they see as a blessing.

Marriage is supposed to be a commitment. Most of the vows traditionally made are closing loopholes so that if something happens to change your life circumstances no one in the marriage can say that it's a reason to abandon the other. You cannot say I didn't sign up for this. YOU DID!
Sadly many vow for better or worse, but only mean for better. My brother in law got one of that sort. He is now disabled from an accident, but even after his injury was still working harder then most able bodied men, running a business and providing for his family. His wife no longer wanted to be faithful, or stay with him.

Relying on a man is what I fully expected to do. If something happened to him I would figure out a course of action to support myself, but I have always been a stay at home mom....thankfully.

Our sons are old fashioned. They view providing for a wife and children as a serious responsibility, one they see as a blessing.
That’s wonderful that you have raised your family that way, I have never met a family irl like yours.

Amen and I thoroughly agree, Jolene. When I married my first wife we were immediately blessed with her becoming pregnant. Our family grew and we needed extra income; one modest income was difficult to live on, so I worked 80 hours a week (often more) rather than her neglecting the care of the children for the sake of extra income. We biblically educated the children (often referred to as home-schooled) so they were well cared for.

Too many men see their wife/wives as addiction income sources and would rather send them out of the house to work instead of doing more than 40 hours of work per week themselves.

We have been given six days to labour and earn an income and one day to rest. I don't see anywhere in those instructions that six days is limited to 40 hours...(?)

Just to clarify my current situation; with the children grown and left home my wives are self-employed in their respective businesses. We see no violation here of the biblical principles in e.g. Proverbs 31:10-31.

That’s wonderful that you have raised your family that way, I have never met a family irl like yours.
One thing that most people fail to recognize in life is that it's not just a matter of who you've actually met. What needs to be considered is all of those people whom one hasn't met -- and most significantly considered should be all of the people one has crossed paths with but has not met. It's not simply happenstance that one hasn't met them; in most cases, one hasn't met them not only because one hasn't initiated contact with them but much more likely the situation that those people haven't wanted to meet you, not because you're uninteresting or abominable or anything highly nefarious.

I know I'm probably making most people's minds fill up with silly string, but what I'm pointing to is that it's easy to become effectively invisible to the very people one claims one is looking for. That invisibility results from not being the type of person who the type of person one wants would want to engage with. People all the time make repeated claims about what they want or who they want -- and then claim there aren't people out there who meet their expectations -- but they are basically lying to themselves about truly wanting that experience or that relationship, because they're insufficiently willing to do whatever it would actually take to get what they say they want. Translation: they don't want what they say they want as much as they just want to complain and garner pity.

@Smilesgalore, I'm not asserting that all of the above applies to you, but my guess is that it does to at least some extent. In your various posts these last couple days and especially in one above . . .
because where I come from a woman cannot depend on a man to provide a living. I have been raised to be independent and hope for the best, but if/when things fall through I will have the skill and ability to support myself and my children if I ever have them. Relying on a man is not something I ever considered reasonable.
. . . you have described yourself as a young woman who has thoroughly absorbed the Kool-Aid of feminism and its related progressivist philosophies. In a sense, it's laudable when a young woman prepares herself to be independent as a back-up plan in case men let her down, but what that approach's most prominent feature is that it's a sure-fire self-fulfilling prophecy -- especially after a young woman invests the time and energy into getting a degree and/or establishing a career, because after that, to reverse course and become primarily a wife and husband is to not only (a) risk transforming the education/career expenses into a lost investment but (b) risk being labeled by her fellow feminists as a sell-out.

What also exists in statements like, "Relying on a man is not something I ever considered reasonable," is a PROFOUND inability to see the forest for the trees. The foundational truth in life is that women cannot escape the fact that they rely on men. Every woman relies on men. Feminism hypnotizes many of us into believing that women can successfully pretend to be independent just because they can point to some individual accomplishment or, better yet, point to some individual failure on the part of some individual man -- but the entire world that women depend on to have anything other than a short, terrible, dangerous, disease-ridden life has been organized by men; includes a whole host of inventions that were 99% invented by men; is designed, developed and built by men; maintained and repaired by men; and predominantly financed by men. The biggest magic trick in the last half a century is the one that has allowed men to forget the magnitude of the contributions they make to our world and persuaded those same men to let women get away with pretending that they don't even owe us their gratitude in return.

If you truly want to find a man you can rely on, your best bet is to refrain from dating those boys who are glad to pledge fealty to progressive feminist ideals and instead concentrate on becoming the type of woman that a man who knows his true worth in the world would recognize as the kind of woman he would want to have at his side. My prediction is that, if you do that, the more you do so, the more you'll start meeting men you can depend on who will want to interview you for the position of helpmeet.

One thing that most people fail to recognize in life is that it's not just a matter of who you've actually met. What needs to be considered is all of those people whom one hasn't met -- and most significantly considered should be all of the people one has crossed paths with but has not met. It's not simply happenstance that one hasn't met them; in most cases, one hasn't met them not only because one hasn't initiated contact with them but much more likely the situation that those people haven't wanted to meet you, not because you're uninteresting or abominable or anything highly nefarious.

I know I'm probably making most people's minds fill up with silly string, but what I'm pointing to is that it's easy to become effectively invisible to the very people one claims one is looking for. That invisibility results from not being the type of person who the type of person one wants would want to engage with. People all the time make repeated claims about what they want or who they want -- and then claim there aren't people out there who meet their expectations -- but they are basically lying to themselves about truly wanting that experience or that relationship, because they're insufficiently willing to do whatever it would actually take to get what they say they want. Translation: they don't want what they say they want as much as they just want to complain and garner pity.

@Smilesgalore, I'm not asserting that all of the above applies to you, but my guess is that it does to at least some extent. In your various posts these last couple days and especially in one above . . .

. . . you have described yourself as a young woman who has thoroughly absorbed the Kool-Aid of feminism and its related progressivist philosophies. In a sense, it's laudable when a young woman prepares herself to be independent as a back-up plan in case men let her down, but what that approach's most prominent feature is that it's a sure-fire self-fulfilling prophecy -- especially after a young woman invests the time and energy into getting a degree and/or establishing a career, because after that, to reverse course and become primarily a wife and husband is to not only (a) risk transforming the education/career expenses into a lost investment but (b) risk being labeled by her fellow feminists as a sell-out.

What also exists in statements like, "Relying on a man is not something I ever considered reasonable," is a PROFOUND inability to see the forest for the trees. The foundational truth in life is that women cannot escape the fact that they rely on men. Every woman relies on men. Feminism hypnotizes many of us into believing that women can successfully pretend to be independent just because they can point to some individual accomplishment or, better yet, point to some individual failure on the part of some individual man -- but the entire world that women depend on to have anything other than a short, terrible, dangerous, disease-ridden life has been organized by men; includes a whole host of inventions that were 99% invented by men; is designed, developed and built by men; maintained and repaired by men; and predominantly financed by men. The biggest magic trick in the last half a century is the one that has allowed men to forget the magnitude of the contributions they make to our world and persuaded those same men to let women get away with pretending that they don't even owe us their gratitude in return.

If you truly want to find a man you can rely on, your best bet is to refrain from dating those boys who are glad to pledge fealty to progressive feminist ideals and instead concentrate on becoming the type of woman that a man who knows his true worth in the world would recognize as the kind of woman he would want to have at his side. My prediction is that, if you do that, the more you do so, the more you'll start meeting men you can depend on who will want to interview you for the position of helpmeet.
Actually I came here to learn about Christianity and plural marriage. I have been very forthcoming in my statements and questions. I was simply stating my personal background as that is the lenses from which I am viewing the world. I actually came here with as open a mind as I could muster in order to expand my views on faith and marriage. I was not looking for a husband, but to learn about the culture of Christian plural marriage. I can see that this is not a welcoming group as I thought it was when I first posted. Take care.

Actually I came here to learn about Christianity and plural marriage. I have been very forthcoming in my statements and questions. I was simply stating my personal background as that is the lenses from which I am viewing the world. I actually came here with as open a mind as I could muster in order to expand my views on faith and marriage. I was not looking for a husband, but to learn about the culture of Christian plural marriage. I can see that this is not a welcoming group as I thought it was when I first posted. Take care.
Please don't let one interaction with @Keith Martin that you feel uncomfortable about put you off this forum as a whole, any more than you'd let one disliked conversation at a pub stop you from ever walking in the door again.

Have you ever read how the Bible describes the ideal woman? Proverbs 31:10-31. This ideal woman is not hiding in the kitchen, but is a highly successful businesswoman. Just making sure you're not jumping to any stereotypical conclusions about what we think a woman should be. Also, from Judges 4:
1652070901923-png.2988

Last edited:
Please don't let one interaction with @Keith Martin that you feel uncomfortable about put you off this forum as a whole, any more than you'd let one disliked conversation at a pub stop you from ever walking in the door again.

Have you ever read how the Bible describes the ideal woman? Proverbs 31:10-31. This ideal woman is not hiding in the kitchen, but is a highly successful businesswoman. Just making sure you're not jumping to any stereotypical conclusions about what we think a woman should be. Also, from Judges 4:
1652070901923-png.2988
I appreciate that, and I realize I have a very slanted view of Christianity and religion in general, which is why I chose to take a world religions elective for my degree. I wanted to learn more about as much as I can because I have not had any teaching in religion. From what I have experienced in my life Christians say one thing but do another. No offense this is only my personal experience. I do somehow think it matters what I end up believing, I’m just not sure where to find the truth. I am in the Muslim community campus group, a minority religions group (Hindu, Tao, Baha’i, offshoot groups) and the Christian campus fellowship.

I appreciate that, and I realize I have a very slanted view of Christianity and religion in general, which is why I chose to take a world religions elective for my degree. I wanted to learn more about as much as I can because I have not had any teaching in religion. From what I have experienced in my life Christians say one thing but do another. No offense this is only my personal experience. I do somehow think it matters what I end up believing, I’m just not sure where to find the truth. I am in the Muslim community campus group, a minority religions group (Hindu, Tao, Baha’i, offshoot groups) and the Christian campus fellowship.
I guess my point is that I was trying to learn as much as possible for the spirit of the class. I stumbled on this forum and thought it might be a good place to ask questions. Our syllabus says to keep an open mind bc we don’t know where revelation may come from. I was trying to do that. I’m sorry if I made anyone uncomfortable with my questions and I never tried to hurt your feelings.

I guess my point is that I was trying to learn as much as possible for the spirit of the class. I stumbled on this forum and thought it might be a good place to ask questions. Our syllabus says to keep an open mind bc we don’t know where revelation may come from. I was trying to do that. I’m sorry if I made anyone uncomfortable with my questions and I never tried to hurt your feelings.
You haven't hurt anyone's feelings. You are most welcome to ask as many questions as you'd like :).

Back