• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Prostitution?

There are a lot of questions I'd like to ask here. Yup, a lot of questions. :p
I’m going with that “ignorance is bliss” thing.

Pm sent, see if that works

Yt version

Sheep are about 3x as productive in terms of pounds of nutrition harvested per acre compared to cattle. Just sayin...
Not enough fat. And while I have not raised sheep, I hear tell they are a pain with health issues and need more expensive fence, no?

Marginally better fence but if done correctly about the same price as barbed wire. Just as fatty as cattle, health issues are pretty much the same as cattle but your eggs are in more baskets simply with the number of animals. Sheep win hands down.

Not enough fat. And while I have not raised sheep, I hear tell they are a pain with health issues and need more expensive fence, no?
Depends on the breed of sheep. Some of the heritage breeds, like the Shetlands we have, are very hardy in comparison to some of the more commercially bred sheep. It really depends on your focus. Meat, wool, milk, etc. The rams are the ones who need more secure fencing. We got our Shetland breed for multipurpose use. They are a smaller breed (but easier to handle), require no docking, are hardier healthwise, have the ability to forage, more like goats ( you do have your plants they need to avoid. ), they require minimal shelter, are GREAT moms ( You pretty much never have bottle fed babies, and they rarely have issues during birth. The other female sheep actually try to steal the new babies, even yearlings who have not had babies yet will.), they tend to almost always twin. I could go on. haha

Depends on the breed of sheep. Some of the heritage breeds, like the Shetlands we have, are very hardy in comparison to some of the more commercially bred sheep. It really depends on your focus. Meat, wool, milk, etc. The rams are the ones who need more secure fencing. We got our Shetland breed for multipurpose use. They are a smaller breed (but easier to handle), require no docking, are hardier healthwise, have the ability to forage, more like goats ( you do have your plants they need to avoid. ), they require minimal shelter, are GREAT moms ( You pretty much never have bottle fed babies, and they rarely have issues during birth. The other female sheep actually try to steal the new babies, even yearlings who have not had babies yet will.), they tend to almost always twin. I could go on. haha
I imagine I will take a crack at them eventually.
I grew up on a cattle ranch though so they will be my initial comfort level.
Will admit that I certainly like the notion of how much easier to butcher sheep would be. I have had bad luck cooking mutton and lamb so far. Don't know if it is the quality of the lamb locally or if it is me or a combo. Could be me though. I am a dab hand in the kitchen but very little opportunity to practice with mutton. Especially when brisket is so cheap, easy and a guaranteed win.

All of it is academic till I get back on some land though.
And like sheep or not, you have to admit that even a not so great wife has gotta beat a sheep

Will admit that I certainly like the notion of how much easier to butcher sheep would be.
That is a massive benefit. I butcher my own sheep, but send cows to a butcher - sheep save a lot of money. And their size worked well before refrigeration also - when my grandfather was just married, and farming in partnership with his brothers and father, they would kill a sheep every week and give a quarter to each family. Fresh meat all the time.

Anyway, I just put 334 lambs on a truck today. First major lamb sale in my first year farming. It's a bit sad to see them go, as I've spent so much effort raising them from the time they were born. And the prices are terrible this year so the reward for the effort will be disappointing - auction is tomorrow (prayers for a good price would be appreciated!). But I kept one of the best aside and we'll enjoy that sometime.

@paterfamilias, sheep will give twins half the time, while cattle basically only have singles. And they can breed a year younger than cattle. So the rate of production is considerably higher. Also, a sheep who has twins can wean her own bodyweight in lambs after only 3 months, while a cattle beast requires years to get to the weight of the mother - further multiplying the rate of production. They have no more health problems than cattle, but since you have more of them you'll see more sick ones so it can be misleading.

Regarding the fat content - you're referring to lean lamb bought from the shop, which is what is sold because it's what can be produced within a single growing season and then sold before winter, and it's probably even been trimmed by the butcher thinking people actually want lean meat. If you have your own sheep, don't eat them as lambs, keep them until they're hoggets (1 year old). The meat is fattier, tastier, and the cuts are much larger, and they're still as tender as lamb. We usually eat old ewes that have to be culled for some reason, or hogget wethers which were too small to sell one year so were kept to grow and eat ourselves the next year. They can be so fat you have to trim it off, and we render down all the trimmings - we can get several kilograms of dripping from a particularly fat sheep in addition to the fat we leave on the meat.

But please ignore all of that and don't farm sheep, just buy lamb from the shop. Because you might buy mine. :)

Not sure what this has to do with prostitutes, but I suppose you could pay a hungry one with a sheep.

That is a massive benefit. I butcher my own sheep, but send cows to a butcher - sheep save a lot of money. And their size worked well before refrigeration also - when my grandfather was just married, and farming in partnership with his brothers and father, they would kill a sheep every week and give a quarter to each family. Fresh meat all the time.

Anyway, I just put 334 lambs on a truck today. First major lamb sale in my first year farming. It's a bit sad to see them go, as I've spent so much effort raising them from the time they were born. And the prices are terrible this year so the reward for the effort will be disappointing - auction is tomorrow (prayers for a good price would be appreciated!). But I kept one of the best aside and we'll enjoy that sometime.

@paterfamilias, sheep will give twins half the time, while cattle basically only have singles. And they can breed a year younger than cattle. So the rate of production is considerably higher. Also, a sheep who has twins can wean her own bodyweight in lambs after only 3 months, while a cattle beast requires years to get to the weight of the mother - further multiplying the rate of production. They have no more health problems than cattle, but since you have more of them you'll see more sick ones so it can be misleading.

Regarding the fat content - you're referring to lean lamb bought from the shop, which is what is sold because it's what can be produced within a single growing season and then sold before winter, and it's probably even been trimmed by the butcher thinking people actually want lean meat. If you have your own sheep, don't eat them as lambs, keep them until they're hoggets (1 year old). The meat is fattier, tastier, and the cuts are much larger, and they're still as tender as lamb. We usually eat old ewes that have to be culled for some reason, or hogget wethers which were too small to sell one year so were kept to grow and eat ourselves the next year. They can be so fat you have to trim it off, and we render down all the trimmings - we can get several kilograms of dripping from a particularly fat sheep in addition to the fat we leave on the meat.

But please ignore all of that and don't farm sheep, just buy lamb from the shop. Because you might buy mine. :)

Not sure what this has to do with prostitutes, but I suppose you could pay a hungry one with a sheep.
All good commentary.

I will get round to them as an experiment at minimum. Not opposedvto it, just outside of my area of experience.

One thing you mentioned I do know better than most though that what you said did trip in my thought process...food preservation.
Have you considered cold smoking a half? Cut up into primals and hung, a 5-7 day cold smoke would give you about 6 years worth of uses left meat when stores at room temperature.
I know in the days of refrigeration that fresh qua fresh is way less of an issue but it is one of those life skill things I like to advocate for.

Actually, on that subject...I should probably start posting about a concerning issue I the tinfoil hat thread.

Re what this all has to do with hookers...on a personally I find conversations about comparative benefits of types of livestock far more interesting than the notion of prostitutes.

Yeah, combining sheep with a thread on prostitution seems somehow really, really wrong.

Plenty of fat. We have mixed breed hair sheep. One of the things I love about sheep is how readily they fatten on forage. We don't grain them at all, and that means the balance if omega 3 to omega 6 fatty acids doesn't get skewed the wrong way.
Ours have rarely had health problems. We don't have to worm or medicate as a matter of routine or prevention. We use electric net fencing when we put them out in new places (brush mitigation on properties for hire) and that keeps them in and most predators out. We did have the fence taken down once and lost 11 goats to the three lions that spooked them or breached the fence.
auction is tomorrow (prayers for a good price would be appreciated!)
Prayers for sure!

sheep will give twins half the time, while cattle basically only have singles. And they can breed a year younger than cattle.
The ewes we have that triplet usually make up for the rare ewe or yearling that has a single here. Our sheep also like to breed younger than we want them too!....but do fine even if lambing before they reach one year.

Having more "baskets for eggs" is a comfort. If you have one or two cows....and they die (like our two bred beef cows did over at the neighbors place....toxic forage?) It is a substantial loss. The rare sheep that boats or dies is a far smaller loss ...(and helps feed our dogs).

Hair sheep meat is also very mild and the fat has an excellent flavor! It is versatile and enjoyed in many dishes and many ways.

We also milk ours after weaning lambs....and the milk is sweet and rich.
I don't know of any other animal so friendly and personable that produces such superior food!

The ewes we have that triplet usually make up for the rare ewe or yearling that has a single here. Our sheep also like to breed younger than we want them too!....but do fine even if lambing before they reach one year.
One of our current ewes tends to triplet. Oh yes breeding young..... We had three lambs from last years flock we were planning on waiting to breed till they were closer to a year. They had other plans....and made them happen. We thought we were needing to worry about keeping the boys in! lol Oh well, 9 months isn't too bad of an age to breed. Two of them also probably bred with their brother. Though sheep aren't held to the same biblical standards.

Plenty of fat. We have mixed breed hair sheep. One of the things I love about sheep is how readily they fatten on forage. We don't grain them at all, and that means the balance if omega 3 to omega 6 fatty acids doesn't get skewed the wrong way.
Ours have rarely had health problems. We don't have to worm or medicate as a matter of routine or prevention. We use electric net fencing when we put them out in new places (brush mitigation on properties for hire) and that keeps them in and most predators out. We did have the fence taken down once and lost 11 goats to the three lions that spooked them or breached the fence.

Prayers for sure!

Having more "baskets for eggs" is a comfort. If you have one or two cows....and they die (like our two bred beef cows did over at the neighbors place....toxic forage?) It is a substantial loss. The rare sheep that boats or dies is a far smaller loss ...(and helps feed our dogs).

Hair sheep meat is also very mild and the fat has an excellent flavor! It is versatile and enjoyed in many dishes and many ways.

We also milk ours after weaning lambs....and the milk is sweet and rich.
I don't know of any other animal so friendly and personable that produces such superior food!
This will sound like an odd aside but you have no idea how much I dislike the direction our lives are taking with respect to our every action bring surveilled and monetized.
Wait...what is this 220px-Manwithtinfoilhat.jpg
guy talking about!?!
Ragging on hookers, now it is sheep and then surveillance? He is a crazy.gif
or something, right?

Teach you to doubt me...Screenshot_20240326-125501_YouTube.jpg
This was one of the first things youtube wanted to show me this afternoon. I have not looked at sheep content in nearly a year and all of the sudden....

So, go get yourself some tinfoil before you are being marketed mail order prostitutes or what have you.

Paranoid smart-ass for the winsmile-smiles.gif

Stuff like that gives me the heebie jeebies. Especially when it's something that I've only talked about, not actually looked at on the internet.

Back