• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Protection from violent attacks

Shootings in schools and supermarkets are also not common here in Brazil. But earlier this year there were cases of stabbings in two schools. One boy who stabbed teachers and students was 13 years old...
A teacher who was stabbed said he seemed to feel a lot of anger, but not anger at teachers, but at the world. She wished he would repent and find God one day.

Unfortunately that's not a legal option where we live.
Corrected 😉

If you have a handgun, then you have the option of carrying it. It's just that the negative consequences of being caught doing so currently outweigh the perceived benefits.

I agree with that assessment, and am not recommending "illegal" carry.

While your odds of being caught "illegally" carrying are low, your odds of actually needing a handgun are extremely low.

Most of us (Kiwis included) live in very safe places.

The emphasis should be on situational awareness. Paying just a little more attention goes a long way.

I'm reluctant to go too much into this, because I don't want this thread becoming a debate on gun laws, but we can't buy a handgun here. We would need a pistol licence which is incredibly difficult and very impractical for us to get.
Can you get long guns at least for hunting?

Process for getting handgun in Texas. Walk into gun store. Choose handgun and ammo. Fill out some paperwork. Walk out of store 15 min later and start carrying, concealed or open without permits.

I'm reluctant to go too much into this, because I don't want this thread becoming a debate on gun laws, but we can't buy a handgun here. We would need a pistol licence which is incredibly difficult and very impractical for us to get.
You probably just want to be a little more observant and thoughtful about potential situations. That is almost the whole battle.

We gun loving and toting Americans (myself included) place way too much emphasis on firearms. Situational awareness is much more important.

If you feel it necessary, an improvised weapon may also make sense. The flashlight is probably best. A padlock on a short chain is also an effective weapon that has other plausible uses.

Unfortunately that's not a legal option where we live.
Corrected 😉
I should clarify that I meant "that's not a practical option where we live". We could have a long discussion as to the many reasons why that is, but it would have no profit as the conclusion would still be it's impractical. Sarah is looking for practical, implementable advice.

In the old days in NZ, me and my staff carried the longest Maglite flashlights available and we had German Shepherds with big sharp saliva-dripping teeth. Needless to say, offenders suffered more severe injuries than any of us ever did. That was also at a time Judges were on the side of law enforcement and agreed that fleeing offender's were potential lunch for our dogs. ;)

In the old days in NZ, me and my staff carried the longest Maglite flashlights available and we had German Shepherds with big sharp saliva-dripping teeth. Needless to say, offenders suffered more severe injuries than any of us ever did. That was also at a time Judges were on the side of law enforcement and agreed that fleeing offender's were potential lunch for our dogs. ;)
Those old school D-cell Maglites made a formidable weapon. They aren't however the most concealable option. Nothing says 1990's to me like a big Maglite. ☺️

Those old school D-cell Maglites made a formidable weapon. They aren't however the most concealable option. Nothing says 1990's to me like a big Maglite. ☺️
I forgot, but I still have one under the bed for bump in the night options. I bought it before I had handguns.

Back