• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Radical theories on weight loss?

Bartato

Seasoned Member
Male
I decided it was time to lose some weight. My weight bounces around, but I'm generally about 30 lbs heavier than I'd like.

So far, I'm down around 12 pounds in six weeks, and I'd like to drop at least another 20 or so.

My radical approach to weight loss mainly involves eating a little less, and exercising more. 😉. I don't restrict myself from any particular food, but just try not to pig out. Since I am a wacky gardener, we eat a lot of produce from the yard.

I don't want to lose muscle so I'm maintaining protein consumption and lifting weights.

Do you all have any wonderful tips? I know a lot of people like keto, paleo, vegan, intermittent fasting, etc etc.

Eat less calories than you spend. Quality of calories matter.

You must eat very well every 3/4 days otherwise you will enter starvation mode. Rest of days you can eat less.

Body burns calories from worst towards best. Alcohol is first (and most damaging), then sugar, then fat, then proteins. Burning proteins is starvation mode and not a normal source of energy.

Don't drink alcohol and reduce sugar as much as possible. To reduce weight, you must lose fat, which won't be used if you have alcohol or sugar in system.

Liver containts several days energy worth of glycogen (storage type of sugar). Each molecule of glycogen is "connected" with several molecules of water. So when reducing reserves of sugar you will pee a lot.

Also fat is removed from deadliest area first toward less dangerous. First goes liver's fat, then internal organ's fat and last is "under skin" fat. "Under skin" fat is fat which makes you look fat which means advance in "looks area" will be slow, but you will be healthier.

If using exercises body will first build muscles, then work on removing fat. So first you may become ever weighteir (muscles are good weight) before starting to lose weight.

I did keto for 2 years. Went from 260 to my lowest 218, but stayed around 225 until I got married.

Thinking about going carnivore, but looking at how to work it into the budget. We'll see.

After 6 kids I got down to my skinny jeans in just six months. I highly recommend you drink 2 glasses of water and then exercise in the morning before eating. After exercise wait at least an hour to eat or drink anything with calories.

You can stagger the macronutrients. For example, get most of your morning calories from carbs, get most of your mid day calories from protein, and then at night get most of the calories from fats by eating a salad with healthy oil in the dressing.

Cutting out sugar and simple carbs during the week can help. Low carb works wonders....but give yourself one cheat day a week and eat high carb and high fat to trick your body into higher leptin levels. (Avoid starvation metabolism kill)

Something that always helped me was to be excited about life and projects. Happy helps. I dropped 20 lbs without trying the summer I met my husband.

Finally for even faster weight loss, do all the above while breastfeeding. ;) that is a 500 calorie a day endeavor.

In all seriousness, intermittent fasting works too.

The best plan is the one you implement. I'm starting high intensity interval training ....now.
My hubby told me about it....this guy explains the science.

Intermittent fasting, keeping all of your eating in a 6-8 hour window each day works for some.
Any drinks with calories also kept within the window.

If you have a busy life, just making a few simple changes can help. Drink loads of water. Having to drink 8 glasses of water a day is a myth, but it's a good guide to follow. I would make sure that I finished a 750ml bottle by lunch, and another one by dinner (hopefully before), and then another before bed.
And portion sizes. My portion sizes are usually fairly small, but I had to make them even smaller to lose weight. Portion sizes are a massive problem in the USA. As someone who has visited there, that is the one thing I will tell people about the food, the portion sizes are insane. Any restaurant, diner, fast food place, pizza, all massively huge and super cheap. It was genuinely shocking.
I've tried a few 'diets' in the past, and I can never stick to them because they're too strict and far too time consuming. I end up spending my entire day thinking about, planning, and prepping food. Can't do it.

If you have a busy life, just making a few simple changes can help. Drink loads of water. Having to drink 8 glasses of water a day is a myth, but it's a good guide to follow. I would make sure that I finished a 750ml bottle by lunch, and another one by dinner (hopefully before), and then another before bed.
And portion sizes. My portion sizes are usually fairly small, but I had to make them even smaller to lose weight. Portion sizes are a massive problem in the USA. As someone who has visited there, that is the one thing I will tell people about the food, the portion sizes are insane. Any restaurant, diner, fast food place, pizza, all massively huge and super cheap. It was genuinely shocking.
I've tried a few 'diets' in the past, and I can never stick to them because they're too strict and far too time consuming. I end up spending my entire day thinking about, planning, and prepping food. Can't do it.
With the high inflation over the last couple years American restaurant food suddenly isn't so cheap anymore. 😳

I agree about the portion control. It is a huge problem for us in the States. I think that is the real solution for me. I have a big appetite and sometimes eat until I'm stuffed just because I enjoy the food. Weightlifting helps maintain a good metabolism, but portion control is still necessary.

After 6 kids I got down to my skinny jeans in just six months. I highly recommend you drink 2 glasses of water and then exercise in the morning before eating. After exercise wait at least an hour to eat or drink anything with calories.

You can stagger the macronutrients. For example, get most of your morning calories from carbs, get most of your mid day calories from protein, and then at night get most of the calories from fats by eating a salad with healthy oil in the dressing.

Cutting out sugar and simple carbs during the week can help. Low carb works wonders....but give yourself one cheat day a week and eat high carb and high fat to trick your body into higher leptin levels. (Avoid starvation metabolism kill)

Something that always helped me was to be excited about life and projects. Happy helps. I dropped 20 lbs without trying the summer I met my husband.

Finally for even faster weight loss, do all the above while breastfeeding. ;) that is a 500 calorie a day endeavor.

In all seriousness, intermittent fasting works too.

The best plan is the one you implement. I'm starting high intensity interval training ....now.
My hubby told me about it....this guy explains the science.

The fasted state exercise really is a powerhouse for burning fat.

Thanks for the wonderful insights everyone. You pretty much said the things I know to be true.

Great minds think alike! 😉

If energy input exceeds energy output, the excess energy is stored as fat. If energy output exceeds energy input, fat is burned up. Eating foods God created suitable for our bodies to use the energy from will always be best; a wide variety of fresh fruit and vegetables, and a wide variety of meats. Don't poison your body with highly processed foods. K.I.S.S., keep it simple stupid.

If energy input exceeds energy output, the excess energy is stored as fat. If energy output exceeds energy input, fat is burned up.
Not true, too simplistic.

After 3 or 4 days of this your body will conclude it is starving. It is decided on hormonal level. It will do everything to reduce energy output, like making you lethargic, sports aren't fun anymore, watching TV in sofa seems so great etc.

Cut all high fructose corn syrup without exception (including/especially sodas).

Don't buy any packaged food with sugar in the ingredients.

If you're making things with wheat at home, try switching to Einkorn flour. If that's not possible, at least do whole grain...if that's not possible, at least not bleached white flour.

You're probably doing the above anyway, given the context of where you have posted, but I thought it was worth mentioning. :)

Not true, too simplistic.

After 3 or 4 days of this your body will conclude it is starving. It is decided on hormonal level. It will do everything to reduce energy output, like making you lethargic, sports aren't fun anymore, watching TV in sofa seems so great etc.
Yes, eating the foods God created the human body to function best on is simplistic and it also happens to be the healthiest option. A healthy diet incorporating a wide range of fresh fruit, vegetables, and meats is exactly what God said to eat. Genesis 1:29, And God said, “See, I have given you every herb that yields seed which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree whose fruit yields seed; to you it shall be for food. Genesis 9:1-4, So God blessed Noah and his sons, and said to them: “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth. And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be on every beast of the earth, on every bird of the air, on all that move on the earth, and on all the fish of the sea. They are given into your hand. Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. I have given you all things, even as the green herbs. But you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood. Cheers

Calories in calories out isn't an accurate way of looking at it. Firstly, your body actually has two ways of powering itself. The first is glucosis where your body burns sugar. The second is ketosis where your body breaks down fats into ketones like beta hydroxybutyrate and uses them for fuel. Secondly calories are not equal. Fat calories are the least likely to make you fat. Protein is also unlikely to make you fat. Carbohydrates make you fat. This used to be common knowledge 100+ years ago. People knew bread made you fat. People knew that skim milk would make you fat--they fed it to the pigs to fatten them off.

What @MemeFan was saying about your body up regulating or down regulating your metabolism based on what you eat or how much you eat is 100% accurate. Go eat 2lbs of good steak and then see how you feel. You will feel hot. You might start to sweat. Go eat the same amount of calories in carbohydrates and you'll likely feel no difference other than maybe being bloated and wanting to sleep because of the insulin boost.

Biologically speaking, as far as I am aware, there are only two ways your body decides to store fat: insulin and or cortisol. Specifically high insulin and high cortisol. If you are overweight I would recommend focusing on eating foods that don't cause insulin to spike and exercising or just relaxing with an enjoyable activity to lower cortisol levels. I also agree with @MemeFan that one should completely abstain from alcohol as your body cannot store it as fuel so any calories you consume in addition to the alcohol will be stored as fat.

**Additional Note** I should probably add that the two methods of powering your body is important because your body prefers to use glucose for fuel. If you have an abundance of glucose your body will not meaningfully decide to convert fat into ketones. Glucose is actually more efficient so your body prefers to use it for power. The bonus for losing weight is that if you deprive your body of glucose, your body will need to use more kcals of fat in order to do the same job glucose would do. This means you will actually increase your metabolism significantly by not having an abundance of glucose available.

**correction** glycolysis not glucosis.

Last edited:
Calories in calories out isn't an accurate way of looking at it. Firstly, your body actually has two ways of powering itself. The first is glucosis where your body burns sugar. The second is ketosis where your body breaks down fats into ketones like beta hydroxybutyrate and uses them for fuel. Secondly calories are not equal. Fat calories are the least likely to make you fat. Protein is also unlikely to make you fat. Carbohydrates make you fat. This used to be common knowledge 100+ years ago. People knew bread made you fat. People knew that skim milk would make you fat--they fed it to the pigs to fatten them off.

What @MemeFan was saying about your body up regulating or down regulating your metabolism based on what you eat or how much you eat is 100% accurate. Go eat 2lbs of good steak and then see how you feel. You will feel hot. You might start to sweat. Go eat the same amount of calories in carbohydrates and you'll likely feel no difference other than maybe being bloated and wanting to sleep because of the insulin boost.

Biologically speaking, as far as I am aware, there are only two ways your body decides to store fat: insulin and or cortisol. Specifically high insulin and high cortisol. If you are overweight I would recommend focusing on eating foods that don't cause insulin to spike and exercising or just relaxing with an enjoyable activity to lower cortisol levels. I also agree with @MemeFan that one should completely abstain from alcohol as your body cannot store it as fuel so any calories you consume in addition to the alcohol will be stored as fat.

**Additional Note** I should probably add that the two methods of powering your body is important because your body prefers to use glucose for fuel. If you have an abundance of glucose your body will not meaningfully decide to convert fat into ketones. Glucose is actually more efficient so your body prefers to use it for power. The bonus for losing weight is that if you deprive your body of glucose, your body will need to use more kcals of fat in order to do the same job glucose would do. This means you will actually increase your metabolism significantly by not having an abundance of glucose available.
Excellent summary

Actually glucose is worse fuel than fat. It creates only 32 molecules of ATP (body's energy currency) while creating 30% more free radicals than fat. Fat creates more than 100 molecules of ATP. So glucose is at about 3 times less effient while being more dirty.

Don't forget, free radicals require cleaning after them, so they are energy cost which makes sugar even worse.

Last edited:
Back