• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Random Comments

Here is a riddle I learned long ago.

I am the center of gravity, hold a capital situation in Vienna, and as I am foremost in every victory I am allowed by all to be invaluable. Always out of tune yet ever in voice, invisible though clearly seen in the midst of a river. I have three associates in vice and could name three who are in love with me, still it is in vain you seek me for I have long been in heaven and even now lie embalmed in the grave. What am I?
v

A tutor who tooted the flute
tried to tutor two tooters to toot.
The two said to the tutor,
"Is it harder to toot or
to tutor two tooter to toot?"

Yes! 7 Factorial or 7! = 5040.
Factorials are fun! They are used extensively in Discrete Math and in Calculus for binomial series expansion to estimate complex functions like sine and cosine, hyperbolic sines and cosines, logarithms, etc. and the algorithms our computers use to calculate those values, relies on that estimation.

5^5 = 3,125 and 3,125! is a very very very large number....larger than a millinillion, which is much larger than a centillion, which is much larger than a googol (google is an improper spelling).

I have asked several people if they can tell me how many zeros are at the end of (5^5)!
None of them have been able to figure it out!

For some perspective, 1 centillion has 303 zeros at the end of it. 3,125 factorial has more zeros than that! I could give away the answer, but it will be more fun to see what guesses are out there. Once you know how to solve it, you can solve it for (5^10)!

You're hitting the point where I'd have to break out a calculator (or rather a maths computer program), I have no idea how to begin working that out on paper.

One smart fellow, he felt smart.
Two smart fellows, they felt smart.
Three smart fellows, they all felt smart,
and they all felt smart together.
One of my students back in 1978 brought the class this particular tongue twister. First, it took serious prodding on his part to get the others to even bother trying to say it. Second, most of them could get through it pretty well but would mess up a little bit. Third, it was a cacophony of smarts and felts. And, fourth, finally they all couldn't stop themselves from saying, "smelled farts." Which, of course, meant they all had to teach it to their busmates on the way home that day . . .

It didn't rain today. Well, it probably did, but I didn't see it.

Last week, I narrowed our scope of where we might move this year by contacting school systems to learn if they, like Fort Worth, are implementing anything along the lines of Black Lives Matter curriculum. In addition to Fort Worth, that ruled out Arlington and St. Louis. On Sunday, I made a commitment to determining by Saturday (minus some kind of cataclysmic event in the interim between now and moving day) where Kristin, Holly Hannah and I will be moving (current likely tentative move date is Thanksgiving week). Monday, I finished researching apartment/house rental prices in each of our top 10 potential destinations, all of which are now either in Texas or west of Colorado Springs; the result was that Colorado was ruled out, leaving, in this order, Llano, Nemo, Richland Hills and Azle. As we are planning to rent until summer 2022 to get HH through her senior year, I also researched nearby towns where we don't want to ultimately plant ourselves but have good school systems and have reasonable rents, so we are also considering temporarily (until 2022) moving to Grapevine, Hurst, Euless, North Richland Hills and Irving. Yesterday, Holly Hannah came home from Walmart announcing that, at age 16, the Walmart managers are recruiting her to go into management because of her work ethic and how she's already training others on tasks they've been doing longer than she's worked there -- and she has decided that she wants to consider the management track and definitely wants to continue working for Walmart after we move. Which led to an internet search of Walmart locations. Which led to removing Llano, Nemo and Euless from our November destination list due to no nearby Walmarts. So I edge closer to a final decision, but it does appear that we're definitely headed to Tarrant County (Azle and Irving are right over the border).

One of my students back in 1978 brought the class this particular tongue twister. First, it took serious prodding on his part to get the others to even bother trying to say it. Second, most of them could get through it pretty well but would mess up a little bit. Third, it was a cacophony of smarts and felts. And, fourth, finally they all couldn't stop themselves from saying, "smelled farts." Which, of course, meant they all had to teach it to their busmates on the way home that day . . .
Sounds like a bunch of drunks trying to say "fuzzy duck" repeatedly.
Yesterday, Holly Hannah came home from Walmart announcing that, at age 16, the Walmart managers are recruiting her to go into management because of her work ethic and how she's already training others on tasks they've been doing longer than she's worked there
Great work Holly Hannah! Must have been raised well by somebody!

Yesterday, Holly Hannah came home from Walmart announcing that, at age 16, the Walmart managers are recruiting her to go into management because of her work ethic and how she's already training others on tasks they've been doing longer than she's worked there -- and she has decided that she wants to consider the management track and definitely wants to continue working for Walmart after we move.
She sounds like an excellent candidate for marriage, when she turns 18, of course!

You're hitting the point where I'd have to break out a calculator (or rather a maths computer program), I have no idea how to begin working that out on paper.
There is a trick to it, and when you learn the trick, or rather the pattern, you can do it in your head.

The last place I would want to be right now, is in the LA Chargers, training facility, getting treated for pain. Not big on pain killers anyhow, but when your profession requires you to go out there and play hurt, ya gotta ask yourself if it is really worth it.

Last week, I narrowed our scope of where we might move this year by contacting school systems to learn if they, like Fort Worth, are implementing anything along the lines of Black Lives Matter curriculum. In addition to Fort Worth, that ruled out Arlington and St. Louis. On Sunday, I made a commitment to determining by Saturday (minus some kind of cataclysmic event in the interim between now and moving day) where Kristin, Holly Hannah and I will be moving (current likely tentative move date is Thanksgiving week). Monday, I finished researching apartment/house rental prices in each of our top 10 potential destinations, all of which are now either in Texas or west of Colorado Springs; the result was that Colorado was ruled out, leaving, in this order, Llano, Nemo, Richland Hills and Azle. As we are planning to rent until summer 2022 to get HH through her senior year, I also researched nearby towns where we don't want to ultimately plant ourselves but have good school systems and have reasonable rents, so we are also considering temporarily (until 2022) moving to Grapevine, Hurst, Euless, North Richland Hills and Irving. Yesterday, Holly Hannah came home from Walmart announcing that, at age 16, the Walmart managers are recruiting her to go into management because of her work ethic and how she's already training others on tasks they've been doing longer than she's worked there -- and she has decided that she wants to consider the management track and definitely wants to continue working for Walmart after we move. Which led to an internet search of Walmart locations. Which led to removing Llano, Nemo and Euless from our November destination list due to no nearby Walmarts. So I edge closer to a final decision, but it does appear that we're definitely headed to Tarrant County (Azle and Irving are right over the border).

Prayers for your move and congrats to Holly Hannah for being so awesome!

Is Magnus Carlsen the greatest chess player of all time?

Just fiddling around on my fiddle.
My older son has a friend who says that he is a tromboner. He insists that it is not called trombonist. I asked him what he calls someone who plays the violin; he said, "violiner". He asked what I call someone who plays the saxophone. He asked if I call them a saxist.

She sounds like an excellent candidate for marriage, when she turns 18, of course!
She's a pretty excellent candidate for marriage already -- 16 is legal in Pennsylvania!

How many loads of washing can I complete in a day? I'm up to 5 already, and it's only 2pm. I think I probably still have another 4 to do...
Now, if you were my stepsistermother, I would be doing all that laundry for you!

Back