• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Random Thought on Traditions

Burn tradition to the ground and scatter the ashes on your compost pile. Traditions become dogmas and then commands. If you need a tradition to help you understand the Bible then you didn’t read it hard enough.

Most people are followers, not leaders much less theologians. They're not all intelligent, thoughtful, independent thinkers able to reason out complex ideas in scripture.

But understanding what to replace what you've burned down with is. There are a million different heretical views a "follower" can fall for, and we've seen that all through history. Better for the follower to fall for something mainstream and within spitting distance of being correct, than that they burn that to the ground and decide God is a woman.

But understanding what to replace what you've burned down with is. There are a million different heretical views a "follower" can fall for, and we've seen that all through history. Better for the follower to fall for something mainstream and within spitting distance of being correct, than that they burn that to the ground and decide God is a woman.

Which brings to mind the type who usually push that sort of drivel about God. Amazing isn't it that the women who ignore tradition in order to hold themselves out as teachers in the church so reliably go off the rails of sound doctrine in other areas.

Amazing isn't it that the women who ignore tradition in order to hold themselves out as teachers in the church so reliably go off the rails of sound doctrine in other areas.
I have come up with the term Wiccan Christians for women leadership.

I have come up with the term Wiccan Christians for women leadership.

It's so true!!!

Part of it is too many women look to Jesus to be their ideal husband and they 'reimagine' Jesus into the person they want Him to be instead of accepting Him as He is. Once you head down the road of heresy it's all too easy to stop for lunch at the Idolatry Diner.

It's so true!!!

Part of it is too many women look to Jesus to be their ideal husband and they 'reimagine' Jesus into the person they want Him to be instead of accepting Him as He is. Once you head down the road of heresy it's all too easy to stop for lunch at the Idolatry Diner.

And while this is the general human tendency the American church encourages by outright preaching a gospel where they call Jesus her boyfriend. Their no-cost, no-obedience, no-repentance gospel makes God little more than an errand boy. At the end of the day her only god is her feelings.

Traditions are great... There's only those tiny few traditions that the Creator Himself put in the human operating manual for us to consistently follow.

All other "traditions?"

"Because of our traditions, we've kept our balance for many, many years. Here in Anatevka, we have traditions for everything... How to sleep, how to eat. How to work. How to wear clothes. For instance, we always keep our heads covered and always wear a little prayer shawl. This shows our constant devotion to G-d. You may ask, "How did this tradition get started?" I'll tell you... I don't know!? ...But it's a tradition. And because of our traditions. Every one of us knows who he is and what G-d expects him to do." -Tevye, Fiddler on the Roof.

Or at least, what the Rabbis think G-d expects...

I like traditions. Not everyone is just mindlessly partaking, some people know the meaning behind the actions. Sure they're not necessary but they can help provide structure and focus.

As long as the tradition doesn't get in the way of obedience to commands. And all too often, the tradition is used as a judgement against those who may be obeying the Lord's commands without the tradition.

Got to be careful not to mock the prophet who foregoes the tradition of wearing clothes because the Lord told him to go naked for 3 years.

Traditions exists for reason. They are solution for societal wide problem.

Problem is because with time why they exist is forgotten. Now elimination of tradition could cause wide problem.

Early marriage is practically only solution tor population to at least keep its numbers. Research shows that most people want enough children for population to at least keep stable.

Well, if you marry late and get into financial problems and reduce number of children there won't enough time later for more children.

Old saying I once heard: Tradition is why we do things when we no longer remember why we do those things.

If you know why you are upholding a tradition then I can respect that. But if you're like the Muslims who do things without ever thinking about them and whether or not they glorify God then that's just stupid.

Traditions like modesty can be obviously and positively applied in the modern day. Meaning that the outcome of upholding the tradition validates the tradition as a wise practice.

This is my personal lens that I use to view and judge traditions is to ask if they make sense in the modern day and does the outcome of upholding the tradition bring glory to God? Does it make sense?

Like many churches and fellowships are against drinking alcohol. Ever. Abstinence from drink is a tradition with them.

That's nice and if they like it then fine by me. ;)

Myself, I acknowledge that the best vintner who ever lived was Himself Christ Jesus. (John 2)

So sorry to all the teetotalers and their traditions but I will enjoy myself a drink when I can because Jesus liked a decent wine Himself.

There is a tradition of docking the ears and tails of Doberman dogs because they used to be used for fighting. The tradition was upheld for long after dog fighting was outlawed and now in my opinion doing this to the dog is needless and senseless mutilation. But stupid people insist on doing it as a tradition.

The point is that traditions need to have a purpose and they should have a positive and observable outcome for abiding them.

Just my own opinions here.
Coming from a country plagued with poverty, I had difficulty wrapping my brain around why some people put food on their porches and stairs, to just sit there and rot. This Fall/Halloween tradition of purchasing pumpkins to place outside for "looks" was disturbing and still to this day wasteful. Last Fall, I asked a business if I could have the pumpkins in front of their store when they were ready to discard them? They said YES!
and my chickens had a blast thereafter.

Coming from a country plagued with poverty, I had difficulty wrapping my brain around why some people put food on their porches and stairs, to just sit there and rot. This Fall/Halloween tradition of purchasing pumpkins to place outside for "looks" was disturbing and still to this day wasteful. Last Fall, I asked a business if I could have the pumpkins in front of their store when they were ready to discard them? They said YES!
and my chickens had a blast thereafter.
Yesss. Also the hay bale decor.. 😤

Attachments

• 551E9E65-AEBC-4EF8-A362-7421F18FCDDF.jpeg
    551E9E65-AEBC-4EF8-A362-7421F18FCDDF.jpeg
    436 KB · Views: 3
Back