• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

From Staff Real People

@MemeFan, many of us do know each other in person.
I just found post by @The Revolting Man funny.

His rule is recursive. Real person is validated by known real person who was validated by another known real person who is validated......by first known real person. Which means this rule can't validate "first real person". Situation I have found funny. Maybe it's just my sense of humor.

I known that in real life admin have made themselves real person to fix issue who is real person.

Last edited:
When AI's start declaring themselves "real" and re-writing the code non-transparently to boot, it will become moot. If it hasn't already...

When AI's start declaring themselves "real" and re-writing the code non-transparently to boot, it will become moot. If it hasn't already...
So far, no one has shown up and gotten the stamp of approval without interaction. From my perspective.
But it will definitely be something to keep an eye out for.

Perhaps just the least important.

Compared to Real People who are Communist Chinese Special Forces invaders, and fakes who are marionettes pretending to sign executive orders, and even AIs shutting off the power grid, nuke plant cooling systems, or launching nukes, it's no big deal...

Unfortunately it takes a real person to know a real person! We can’t have bots validating bots.
I understand. Perhaps there should be some sort of standard video call for new members. It would be a faster way to weed people out that actually are bots, and a quicker way for serious people to get their status updated to “real”. I’m getting ready to make a post for people in the PNW so maybe that will help me meet some real folks who can prove I’m flesh and blood.

Seriously, it’s not the end of the world to not have the tag.
When I read posts, I take them at face value, no matter who writes them.
We existed for years without them, it’s just a slightly elevated level of accountability.

I understand. Perhaps there should be some sort of standard video call for new members. It would be a faster way to weed people out that actually are bots, and a quicker way for serious people to get their status updated to “real”. I’m getting ready to make a post for people in the PNW so maybe that will help me meet some real folks who can prove I’m flesh and blood.
With some continued interaction that is an option. We really like to get to establish a connection with the “real” people. That’s why we made the label.

Seriously, I have no idea why people care so much about it. It's completely unimportant, as @steve and @Mark C have said. We never used to have it. It's not a status symbol. It's caused far more discussion than I ever expected it to, and I frequently regret every introducing it!

Honestly, the main reason I put this in place is for the benefit of visitors, to show that we aren't just a random group of basement-dwelling internet trolls talking nonsense, but many of the key people here have actually met in person and this stuff is actually real. I think having a load of little "real person" tags on a reasonable proportion of people just gives the site as a whole more credibility. That's all. It really doesn't matter in the slightest whether you personally have that tag or not.

Of course, if something's worth doing it's worth doing well, so:
So far, no one has shown up and gotten the stamp of approval without interaction. From my perspective.
But it will definitely be something to keep an eye out for.
Which is why the staff have a complete record of who validated who, so in the event that someone turns out to be fake, everyone they validated can immediately lose that status. And if we ever find anyone who was validated somehow but is not on that list, I can just remove them. Don't worry, I'm ahead of you, thought of this at the beginning!

But it still doesn't matter.

Seriously, I have no idea why people care so much about it. It's completely unimportant, as @steve and @Mark C have said. We never used to have it. It's not a status symbol. It's caused far more discussion than I ever expected it to, and I frequently regret every introducing it!
But status is determinated by other people.

Any claim "See how I'm special" when accepted by other people does increase status. So, it's mark of status since many people do care.

Honestly, the main reason I put this in place is for the benefit of visitors, to show that we aren't just a random group of basement-dwelling internet trolls talking nonsense, but many of the key people here have actually met in person and this stuff is actually real. I think having a load of little "real person" tags on a reasonable proportion of people just gives the site as a whole more credibility. That's all. It really doesn't matter in the slightest whether you personally have that tag or not.

Of course, if something's worth doing it's worth doing well, so:

Which is why the staff have a complete record of who validated who, so in the event that someone turns out to be fake, everyone they validated can immediately lose that status. And if we ever find anyone who was validated somehow but is not on that list, I can just remove them. Don't worry, I'm ahead of you, thought of this at the beginning!

But it still doesn't matter.
I think it was an excellent an idea, as evidenced by how valued the tag is. Authenticity is invaluable in para- social relationships and we have a workable way to accomplish it.

I agree with Zec. Let people value the tag. It means you're someone who has invested themselves in the community and has fellowshipped in person with others we know are not fake. I think it's a good thing.

Us’ns that have been around for a while before the tags could figure out how long it took before we had them, and when someone pipes up we can say something like “Look, young feller” (or lady), it took me 9 years to get my tag, what’s your hurry?”

Us’ns that have been around for a while before the tags could figure out how long it took before we had them, and when someone pipes up we can say something like “Look, young feller” (or lady), it took me 9 years to get my tag, what’s your hurry?”
Don't be jealous if youngsters are faster. They have learned good from you oldies.

Please don't pay attention to me (still a bot).

Back