• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Revering Makes Submitting Successful

A

Anonymous

Ephesians 5:22-33
Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing. Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; that he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, that he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church: for we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church. Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.

Recently the thought of how difficult it must be for a wife to submit herself to her husband paraded through my mind, closely followed by the accompanying question of would it be easier to submit to her husband if she revered him first”? I wrote myself a note to read Ephesians 5 when I got home. Little reminders are very helpful. However, as I read the scripture passage above, I noticed that the idea of submission and reverencing are not closely linked. Yet, it seemed that it would be far easier to submit to someone respected, revered and trusted than to merely submit out of obligation or duty. As I have recently read, again, respect and trust must be earned and are not a right. Still God instructed the Apostle to write, “revere”, not respect or trust. Is there a difference? I believe there is. Revere comes from the Greek word “phobeo”, and is used in the same sense as fearing the Lord. It is a response to the person of God or the husband in this case. We are not being taught to be terrified of God or husbands, but to hold them in the highest esteem and be afraid to displease them. Not as terror but as disappointment. Respect and trust are based upon performance, but reverence is based upon the person.

In the United States, women generally, marry a man of their choice, not by parental arrangement. I wonder if a woman married a man that she chose to marry, did she do so because she felt that he was raw material that she could shape into a “real man”, or did she marry a man she adored and loved? If she married with the expectation of shaping him, she played the fool and has no complaint if her marriage isn’t all she desires. If she married because she loved and respected her husband, when did he become unworthy of the commanded reverence? He may have not lived up to her expectations or his promises that they both had in their youth. Did he betray her hopes or perhaps her trust? He may have; factually couples start life with very unrealistic expectations. Some expectations or dreams, no one can fulfill, he or she.

In this passage God instructs husbands and wives in the business of marriage. He (God) has the right to do so, by virtue of His office as Creator and Redeemer. If we desire a blessed marriage, then we had better follow the instructions. If we don’t follow the instructions, then we should just shut up and bear it quietly, when our way fails us. In His instructions husbands are told to love their wives, with no allowance given as to whether they are loveable or not. Do the letters PMS mean anything to us? Men we are not given a pass for those days when our wives are feeling miserable and cranky. It’s not their fault and God expects us to act like Him and love our own beloved when they aren’t acting lovely.

Our Lord also instructs wives to submit to their own husbands, without qualifying the man’s worthiness of that submission. A pastor in Nigeria, Adeolu Olusodo, said something like this, if a wife submits when she is in agreement with her husband, it really isn’t submission. If she submits when she disagrees or doesn’t understand, then it really is submission; sorry I couldn’t find the complete quote. God also tells wives to reverence their husband, this is compatible with submission, but it is a higher degree of compliance or co-operation. Can we expect a wife to submit to and reverence her husband if she is smarter and more able than he? Can we expect her to yield to him if she is convinced that he is wrong? The answer to these questions is, YES. Not because she has no choice, but because God has commanded it and she has the choice to obey God and reverence Him. I am suspecting that most wives that do not respect, trust and revere their husbands fail to do so because of their lack of reverence for God. Truly, love and reverence for God is our highest motivation for our obeying His Word. If we revere God we will do as He says regardless of the qualifications of the husbands. In the same vein, if we men will revere God and obey Him, we will love our wives at all times, regardless of appearance, age or disposition.

Loving God makes submitting to and revering husbands much easier. Loving God makes loving and honoring wives a delightful experience. It’s time for us, men and women, to stop complaining about our spouses and correct the matter, by correcting ourselves, beginning with our genuine love for God and His Word. When we love Him, loving others is easy, because He loves through us.

First published at http://www.AmbassadorsBC.com

Excellent article, Pastor John ! :)
One question:
While a wife is commanded to revere her husband regardless of his worthiness, what practical steps should a wife take if she or her children are being physically abused ?

Blessings,
Fairlight

Fairlight asked:
what practical steps should a wife take if she or her children are being physically abused ?
IMHO:
1 Corinthians 7:15 NKJV (15) But if the unbeliever departs, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases. But God has called us to peace.
If a man is physically abusive to his wife and/or children, that is anything but being peaceful. Therefore, you are not "under bondage," as the KJV/NKJV translates it.

Some might argue, "But he's a believer!" To which I reply, "Then let him act like one." (See the second part of this post.)

As to practical steps, remove the children from danger. Remove yourself from danger. There are shelters for victims of spousal abuse. Beyond that, I don't know...

=====================​
Any man who beats his woman over the head with Ephesians 5:22 is not even making a feeble attempt to live by Ephesians 5:25. Since embarking on the study of what the Bible teaches about Covenant Unions (what the world mistakenly calls "marriage") about 1-1/2 years ago, God literally hit me between the eyeballs with Ephesians 5:25. So early in the course of my studies, I adopted that verse as God's command to me personally. (Please excuse me if I repeat some of what I wrote in the men's closed forum, my brothers...) Every day, I thank God for the precious, wonderful woman He has placed in my care. Every day, I ask God to make me as much of a blessing to her as she is to me. That's a tall order, but is anything too hard for the Lord? Every day, I ask God to help me become an Ephesians 5:25 man to my woman.

The most remarkable thing happened. My lovely lady has responded almost as if she has no choice but to take Ephesians 5:22 as God's command to her, and live accordingly! I have never asked God to change her, but rather, to change me. I have never told her to read Ephesians 5:22. Not once. It's almost as if women are "hard wired" with a desire to follow an Ephesians 5:25 man.

Thank you, my Loving Heavenly Father, for showing me Your truth!

So men, before blaming problems on your woman's allegedly poor relationship with the Lord, make absolutely sure that your own relationship with your Heavenly Father is what He wants it to be. We are the leaders, and our women will follow us if we truly follow God.

PS-

I'm far from perfect. I make bunches of mistakes every day. Wonder how much better my woman will be when I finally get Ephesians 5:25 figured out?

Hi Fairlight, let me first say that wifely submission does NOT include physical and emotional abuse. Some men think that being in a position of authority and leadership allows them to be unloving and out of control, with their family cowering before their authority. This is not Biblical and fortunately, these men are in the minority. A godly husband leads and guides with love, steadfastness, courage and the Word of God.
However, in the case of abuse a wife should separate herself from the danger, seek counsel from reliable sources, both spiritual and legal. Once her safety is assured the next step should be to heal her own spirit that has been damaged through the abuse, as well as pray for and seek the healing of her spouse. From this point, so much depends on how both parties respond to the Lord and the steps for healing.

So men, before blaming problems on your woman's allegedly poor relationship with the Lord, make absolutely sure that your own relationship with your Heavenly Father is what He wants it to be. We are the leaders, and our women will follow us if we truly follow God.[/quote]

I truly believe that good leaders always have followers. Tyrants demand followers.

donnag said:
So men, before blaming problems on your woman's allegedly poor relationship with the Lord, make absolutely sure that your own relationship with your Heavenly Father is what He wants it to be. We are the leaders, and our women will follow us if we truly follow God.

I truly believe that good leaders always have followers. Tyrants demand followers.

^True^

John Whitten said:
Hi Fairlight, let me first say that wifely submission does NOT include physical and emotional abuse. Some men think that being in a position of authority and leadership allows them to be unloving and out of control, with their family cowering before their authority. This is not Biblical and fortunately, these men are in the minority. A godly husband leads and guides with love, steadfastness, courage and the Word of God.
However, in the case of abuse a wife should separate herself from the danger, seek counsel from reliable sources, both spiritual and legal. Once her safety is assured the next step should be to heal her own spirit that has been damaged through the abuse, as well as pray for and seek the healing of her spouse. From this point, so much depends on how both parties respond to the Lord and the steps for healing.

While I am not a woman who has been physically abused by my husband, the choices and decisions he has made that I have submitted to have really hurt me...his career change where I never see him (and feel like single mom), his financial decisions that may cost us our home, and him not attending church like he did when were married have all caused more tears than I ever thought possible. I do think he believes he's the head of home (even if he's not there I guess...I've already started calling our unborn baby boy due in aug the man of the house), and expects me to follow, but him making decisions without considering my feelings, I think is not "loving your wives as christ so loved the church and gave himself for it". So it is hard when ones trying to do what is asked of them while the other obviously isn't...and I sometimes do question if I'm doing the right thing by following someone that I'm not so sure is going exactly where I wanna go....

Lisa,

I can tell you are really frustrated, and as one of the "older women" on the board, :eek: perhaps I can draw from my advanced degree from HKU, the venerable institution better known as Hard Knocks University.

First of all, I would like to strongly encourage you to not be referring to your unborn son as "the man of the house." Even kids in utero pick up all kinds of things, and that's not a label or a load that your little guy needs, now or ever.

Secondly, as someone who is married to a truck driver who is gone a lot, I know it can be tough, and even more so with small kids. However, your man is working his tail off, trust me, to take care of you and your littles. A trucker's life style is extremely tough on a guy as well. What you are facing is much like being married to a military guy, and I would suggest that you avail yourself of all the info on the web that comes out of the Family Readiness Group/ Morale Welfare and Recreation sites that are put out by the DOD. You aren't having to deal with the extra element of having someone in continual danger, but there are still resources and wisdom that you can draw from that will help.

I have been in a situation, long ago, where someone's financial choices, job choices, and moral choices were a disaster. It's no fun, but it is the invitation to find God and His faithfulness on an amazing level. I think you'll find you have more peace and energy if you can make the shift from "not going where I want to go," to "Lord, where do You want to go, and may I come along with You?" A crisis, by its very nature, is transitory. If you and just you seek the King, the King's righteousness and the Kingdom, and that alone is your focus, you are going to feel waaaaay better, and your husband will sense it, too.

Lisa,

I've been in a similar situation too. For the first 10 years of my marriage my husband was in the military and was gone more than he was at home. I spent many, many anniversaries celebrating with the kids, and there wasn't even internet and cell phones available back then. It sucked. It was soo lonely and I spent a lot of time crying and totally overwhelmed with caring for the kids alone. It was grueling and relentless, especially when my son (around 10) decided to become a smarty-pants and push all my buttons every day. It wore me down. BUT- even though sometimes I lost sight of the light at the end of the tunnel, it was still there.

Now, because of our current work situations, if we're lucky, we see each other 20 minutes in the mornings and 20 minutes at night, and sometimes even that doesn't work out. Mostly we cram our lives into the ever-so-short weekends (and even then sometimes one or the other of us has to work on Sat. too). It still sucks and we don't have many choices for changing that. We just work on it every day...EVERY DAY. I still get lonely. It's still hard to eat dinner alone every night. Sometimes we just have to bear down and get through the tough times. I call it 'putting on my big girl panties' and just getting through every day.

Alit53 is right. Don't let yourself get into the habit of telling your son that he's 'the man', No good will come of that. I used to have a routine that I did with my kids every day..We walked to the park, then after lunch we walked to the library, then we'd do something fun after dinner until bedtime; It got us though a lot of 'dad-gone' years. The kids loved the routine and it helped me to stay focused on 'the day' at hand.

Hope this is at least a bit encouraging to you. A few of us have been right where you are...

I've been thinking about the orig. posting and revisiting a lot of past conversations had with non-believers. I doubt there is anything that speaks louder to non-believers than a "Christian" marriage in turmoil, and doubly so if the husband is perceived as the one at fault. The usual response is "Well, there's 'Religion' for you" and it tends to discredit any 'work in progress" that may have been going on. A quick 'well we're all sinners' or other such quip doesn't really help much.

Was wondering why a pastor or other members in the church wouldn't step in even if only invited by one or the other spouse and at least try to give some guidance and friendship if possible? I'm not talking about a 'proper stoning' or anything, but perhaps an invitation to dinner (at a restaurant or neutral place) just for support? I don't think I've ever seen that happen. Has anyone ever helped like that? I've only experienced the 'I only give counseling if
both parties are present' sort of thing but don't know if that ever works.

Just things I think about....

Donnag wrote,
Was wondering why a pastor or other members in the church wouldn't step in even if only invited by one or the other spouse and at least try to give some guidance and friendship if possible?
Donnag,
I think you have put your finger on one of the greatest problems affecting Christianity today. What you suggest is such a tremendous blessing when implemented. We have lost the sense of community or family among believers and become a host of spiritual Lone Rangers, each struggling alone through life experiences. Each person, pretty much re-invents the wheel as they face challenges, rather than having the benefit of others experience and insight. After all, none of us will live long enough to make all the mistakes, we should learn from others experience as they lovingly share with us their previous insights. We have become a spiritual house of critics rather than helpers. I don't see this as glorifying God or benefiting His people.
Paul dealt with this issue in Titus 2 when he taught that the older women should teach the younger women about life and marriage. Similar things are said throughout scripture regarding men and elders. In a world where everyone looks out for themselves only, no one gets help or progresses beyond the basics, hence, excellence of life is lost.
We need mentoring. There was a time in my life when I really felt the need of mentoring, but unfortunately, I was already at the age when I should be the mentor. I have subsequently sought out the experience and skills of others who have excelled in their field for learning and help, rather than one person as a general mentor. We are never too old to learn.

It would indeed be a wonderful church at work when the members have a genuine care for one another, helping avert crisis rather than solving them. Thank you for your thoughts on this issue.

Lisa,
I have sooo been where you are right now, in every way you mentioned. My biggest regret was me trying to "fix" the problem by trying to "fix" my husband. I promise you, it won't work. However, there is hope! 1 Peter 3 shows us exactly what will work.

"Likewise, ye wives, [be] in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives."

I grieve the years I spent trying to make my husband do what I thought was right for our family. If I had just been a reverent, submissive wife, how different things may have been? Even if nothing had changed in our lives, at least I would have had the peace of knowing that I had given the Lord my best in the situation he providentially chose for me.

Fast forward 15 years...I am married to the same man and now he is everything I ever dreamed a husband could be. He's loving, selfless, a good provider, a great father, and a true leader. Even though both he and I messed up soooo much, God in His mercy chose to, "... give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified." Isaiah 61:3

And that's what this life is all about, that He might be glorified.

Katie

Hi Ladies!

I would suggest that you all Google the terms “ornamental womanhood” and "Charles Hodge". It is pretty humorous. These are the thinkers that influenced church leaders in their day and whose ideas still seep into the minds of men in our day. If you are content to be ornaments on the arms of your men then do so. I choose to contribute ALL of my strengths to a marriage and that includes my reason, judgement, and my own will if my mate is asking me to do something that is contrary to the welfare of my family.

After looking into the ideas that cause men to focus in on the submission verses in the letters written by the apostles, read the story of Deborah and then the account of Jael. Read the words of Yeshua.

Luke 10:38-42

38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”

41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[a] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

How about that! Mary chose to step out of her role as woman/servant. What a rebel! :lol:

Lysistrata

A wife cannot truly submit to a man who himself is not submitted to Christ.

Doc wrote,
Even then, she may have difficulty if her heart is not in right relationship with the Lord.

Doc wrote:
To which Pastor John replied:
Even then, she may have difficulty if her heart is not in right relationship with the Lord.
Brothers, I wholeheartedly agree with Doc. If we, as the heads of our respective women, are not totally submitted to Yeshua, our Lord and Master, how can we expect our women to submit to us? That would be hypocrisy of the worst kind! We are the leaders, not the ladies. So grow some backbone and become the leader that God wants you to be.

If a woman's heart is not right with the Lord, there is no way that her man can help her get that relationship right if he, himself, is not in a right relationship with the Lord. A woman's submission to her man starts with the man's submission to Christ, not with the man beating her over the head with verses like Ephesians 5:22 while he is looking for other women, who, if he finds them, will also get beat over the head with all the "wife submission" verses.

Matthew 25:21 NKJV His lord said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.'
IMHO, Adam was given only one woman in the Garden of Eden in order to test his faithfulness as her head. He failed miserably, just standing there watching her get deceived by the serpent. I plan to succeed, with the help of my Creator, and someday, He will say to me, "I will make you head over many..." I do not need to look for women on the Internet, at church, at the mall, or any other place. If and when God determines that I am faithful as head of the one lovely lady He has entrusted to my care, He will place another in my life - and if that happens, the lady I now have will know that it is God's doing, not mine.

Men, if your wife has a problem with submission, look in the mirror for the real problem.

PolyDoc said:
Doc wrote:

If a woman's heart is not right with the Lord, there is no way that her man can help her get that relationship right if he, himself, is not in a right relationship with the Lord. A woman's submission to her man starts with the man's submission to Christ, not with the man beating her over the head with verses like Ephesians 5:22 while he is looking for other women, who, if he finds them, will also get beat over the head with all the "wife submission" verses.

Matthew 25:21 NKJV His lord said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord.'
IMHO, Adam was given only one woman in the Garden of Eden in order to test his faithfulness as her head. He failed miserably, just standing there watching her get deceived by the serpent. I plan to succeed, with the help of my Creator, and someday, He will say to me, "I will make you head over many..." I do not need to look for women on the Internet, at church, at the mall, or any other place. If and when God determines that I am faithful as head of the one lovely lady He has entrusted to my care, He will place another in my life - and if that happens, the lady I now have will know that it is God's doing, not mine.

Men, if your wife has a problem with submission, look in the mirror for the real problem.

Dear Lord...I'm speachless. No-for real! Thank You!

PolyDoc said:
Doc wrote:
I do not need to look for women on the Internet, at church, at the mall, or any other place. If and when God determines that I am faithful as head of the one lovely lady He has entrusted to my care, He will place another in my life - and if that happens, the lady I now have will know that it is God's doing, not mine.

Truly honorable to your wife, yourself and the Lord. That's where we are too. My husband said 'I don't need to be chasing skirts.' "I'm sure that if such a time comes that the Lord wants to place someone else with us he is able to lead us all together". I can live with that.

Let's be careful to not go overboard in making the husband totally responsible for the wife's submission. Remember, the original scenario, Eve first, then Adam in transgression. In each NT reference of marital roles, the Holy Spirit always lists the woman's role first.
Granted, the husband as the federal head is responsible for leading the family, but the woman is responsible before God for her behavior, it is a submission of her will. When she is instructed to be in submission to her own husband, God gave no qualifiers, such as "if he is righteous, or if he is being nice". I am not suggesting that she suffer abuse, but neither I am I excusing rebellious wives.

Back