• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Revering Makes Submitting Successful

sola scriptura said:
Excellent synopsis, Dr. Allen.

If God (the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob) is not the standard of truth in a person's life, then that person must choose what the standard of truth is. Then we get into the turbulent waters of whose truth is right, etc. The Aboriginals in Australia? The Native Americans in Belize? The Celtic pagans of 1000 years ago? The New Agers of modern America? It is rationally impossible to believe that all truths have equal validity, because as soon as one truth contradicts an other, then one of the truths isn't truth anymore.

That's politics hun...or to be more accurate, that is life in this Global mass communication world. Unless you think something has more validity just because more people believe it to be true, if not, than surely it doesn't matter if others think differently than you do, faith doesn't need external validation from others.

B

Isabella said:
Ah...well, I was defining universal in the non biblical way of course

On a site called "Biblical Families" ??? Hmmm......

Isabella said:
Though I appreciate the definition can be widened I don't think it is terribly helpful to the point

"Biblical" is THEE point on B.F.

Blessings,
Fairlight

Fairlight said:
"Biblical" is THEE point on B.F.

Blessings,
Fairlight

But not thee point of the Austen quote which was brought up by someone else, not by me.

Jane Austen was a Christian btw, in case you did not know.

B

Isabella said:
[
That's politics hun...or to be more accurate, that is life in this Global mass communication world. Unless you think something has more validity just because more people believe it to be true, if not, than surely it doesn't matter if others think differently than you do, faith doesn't need external validation from others.

B

The Bible has all validity as the only source of all truth. Any other religion or belief system is not truth if it isn't wholly leaning upon God as Creator and Sustainer and Jesus as the only Way. It's not about politics or post-modern life or majority belief. If it was about the majority worldwide belief being the truth, then I would be promoting Islam. It really doesn't matter what anyone, including me, believes. Truth is truth whether we believe it or not.

sola scriptura said:
The Bible has all validity as the only source of all truth. ........ Truth is truth whether we believe it or not.

I am not going to tease but...... :mrgreen:

B

[/quote]The Bible has all validity as the only source of all truth. Any other religion or belief system is not truth if it isn't wholly leaning upon God as Creator and Sustainer and Jesus as the only Way. It's not about politics or post-modern life or majority belief. If it was about the majority worldwide belief being the truth, then I would be promoting Islam. It really doesn't matter what anyone, including me, believes. Truth is truth whether we believe it or not.[/quote]
I agree and I think you could say that a universal truth is the laws that govern the universe. Maybe someone chooses not to believe that, but it doesn't change the fact they exist. Some people believe that truth is relative, but I would ask, are you sure about that?

My question was,
Is there such a thing as truth that is universally acknowledged, or is all truth based upon a belief system?
After meditating on it and reading all your posts here, I believe it is safe to conclude that we agree that there is universal truth. It is not acknowledged universally, therefore our concept of truth must be based on our belief systems rather than some world wide assertion of accepted truth. The only point that I get from this is, we must come to some standard of what truth is when dealing with people of another culture and/or belief system or we end up assaulting their integrity.

John Whitten said:
we must come to some standard of what truth is when dealing with people of another culture and/or belief system or we end up assaulting their integrity.

Universally accepted universal truth, huh? I propose ...
What goes in MUST come out, or there's bound to be trouble.
Dunno that everyone will agree on anything else!
:lol:

CecilW said:
What goes in MUST come out, or there's bound to be trouble.
Dunno that everyone will agree on anything else!
:lol:

:lol: :lol:

FYI, there is an understanding among many people that the reason a Gila Monster is so venomous it because it has no anus and all the food it eats causes it to be mean and toxic. No, I am not making this up. It is certainly not a universal truth or a truth acknowledged by a large group of people, but you can't live in the southwest USA long before hearing it told and believed. Reference, last line. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gila_monster

so i guess that it comes out in meanness and toxicity.

moral of the story;
use the bathroom early and often, lest we too become a monster ;)

alit53 said:
Lisa,

I can tell you are really frustrated, and as one of the "older women" on the board, :eek: perhaps I can draw from my advanced degree from HKU, the venerable institution better known as Hard Knocks University.

First of all, I would like to strongly encourage you to not be referring to your unborn son as "the man of the house." Even kids in utero pick up all kinds of things, and that's not a label or a load that your little guy needs, now or ever.

Secondly, as someone who is married to a truck driver who is gone a lot, I know it can be tough, and even more so with small kids. However, your man is working his tail off, trust me, to take care of you and your littles. A trucker's life style is extremely tough on a guy as well. What you are facing is much like being married to a military guy, and I would suggest that you avail yourself of all the info on the web that comes out of the Family Readiness Group/ Morale Welfare and Recreation sites that are put out by the DOD. You aren't having to deal with the extra element of having someone in continual danger, but there are still resources and wisdom that you can draw from that will help.

I have been in a situation, long ago, where someone's financial choices, job choices, and moral choices were a disaster. It's no fun, but it is the invitation to find God and His faithfulness on an amazing level. I think you'll find you have more peace and energy if you can make the shift from "not going where I want to go," to "Lord, where do You want to go, and may I come along with You?" A crisis, by its very nature, is transitory. If you and just you seek the King, the King's righteousness and the Kingdom, and that alone is your focus, you are going to feel waaaaay better, and your husband will sense it, too.

Right on

Back