• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

See it on Vimeo: Genesis 29-30: Jacob’s Family

frederick

Seasoned Member
Real Person
Male
This came up recently and is another (bad) example of unbiblical reasoning for monogamy. Some of you might like to post comments in response to it on Vimeo.

Last edited:
Thanks for adding the comment and I hope the Sunset Church people read it and are challenged enough to respond.

I commented. I kind of said the same thing but in my own words.

Having grown up in the Church of Christ I am familiar with Sunset Church of Christ. It is a major preaching school of the Church of Christ located in Lubbock, Texas.

The Adventures in Missions program that two of my daughters attended is conencted to and sponsered by the Sunset Church of Christ.

I'm not too familiar with CoC doctrine. Is it their own? The responses seemed to render the OT obsolete, almost invalid to reference for anything.

That whole sermon just made my head hurt. "Teaching for doctrines of God, the traditions of men."

I'm not too familiar with CoC doctrine. Is it their own? The responses seemed to render the OT obsolete, almost invalid to reference for anything.
They say do not consider any of Torah to be binding under the New Covenant unless they are repeated in the New Testament but when it suits them they will use it to try and condemn others, They believe that the New Testament demonstrates how a person may become a Christian and thus a part of the universal Church of Christ and how a church should be collectively organized and carry out its scriptural purposes. Which means to the the Church of Christ is they are the only "real church". The rest of us are the ones Yeshua is going to say Begone I know you not. Anything espoused from a non Church of Christ source is wrong. Their doctrine legalises Grace to justify itself and condemn others. Condemnation is their biggest tool.

Last edited:

It's an evolved mashup of Presbyterian and Baptist doctrine (not that they themselves realize this). Their generic approach to scripture is a lot like fundamentalists but evolved parallel to that tradition.

They have a lot of good impulses but like all other mature movements has ossified their traditions and often not open to correction from the Bible because deviation from tradition risks getting them expelled or cost them friends/family/job.

So often they'll sound like they're open to Bible critique, but will be highly resistant to any change. But they will also often be more amiable to argument from scripture than people from other traditions (like say Catholic).

Their exact approach to the OT will vary but "They say do not consider any of Torah to be binding under the New Covenant unless they are repeated in the New Testament but when it suits them they will use it to try and condemn others," is accurate. Though they'd quibble over the 'condemn' classification.

To be more charitable, they view almost all of the OT law as having been repeated in the NT; the exceptions being things that most Protestant groups also take exception to (Sabbaths, dietary laws, sacrifices, etc).

In practice, they're not a lot different than baptists; and the various COC sects show about as much variety as the baptist ones; from bland mainline to strict fundamental.

Thanks for the insights into the COC. I know nothing of their denominational traditions and doctrines apart from what you've all added here. Much appreciated. But the reasoning the guy presents against biblical marriage is mostly the same as everyone else who is churchian, so the battle for the truth is no different. Only by presenting the truth will error become apparent so it's important when error is propagated, the truth is laid out for all to see and read.

Thank you gentlemen. I ran into a bunch of "Universal" CoC folks in college and even went to a bible study and large service of theirs once after being invited. I quickly realized their "we are the only true church" vibe and hightailed it outta their grasp.

Tbh though, I've heard some funky Baptists claim the same thing (or close to it).

I didn't realize the mainstream CoC folks were of that mindset. Are you over generalizing @Kevin, or have others experienced this?

Thanks for the insights into the COC. I know nothing of their denominational traditions and doctrines apart from what you've all added here. Much appreciated. But the reasoning the guy presents against biblical marriage is mostly the same as everyone else who is churchian, so the battle for the truth is no different. Only by presenting the truth will error become apparent so it's important when error is propagated, the truth is laid out for all to see and read.
I hear you, but the comments in the comment section of the video render an argument or even honest debate useless. He basically says that we can't use the OT to justify anything. If it's not in NT, it's part of the obsolete old covenant done away with at the cross. It's almost like speaking two different languages. There is no common ground, other than NT. Our greatest ammunition is from OT and the support for validity is that it's not explicitly outlawed in NT. The fact that it's not explicitly addressed in NT tells them it's not part of the NT plan,

At least that's what I got out of his rebuttal to Steve.

At least that's what I got out of his rebuttal to Steve.
Perhaps, but Samuel made the point that there is nothing in the NT to support the guys position; it has to be read into the Scriptures. If I might add a comment here; it's the truth of holy Scripture that is powerful in overcoming error - that's all any of the prophets, preachers, apostles, or even Christ Himself did in the biblical record; present the truth, refuting the error. So we only expose error by presenting the truth and leave the outcome to our All-powerful God.

I agree. Meet people where they are at, become all things to all people. You can certainly start this discussion from an NT-only position, as I've tried to in my comment. I don't expect to persuade the preacher, but it might be useful to a viewer.

My comment as mostly geared toward the pastor/preacher. His ground rules are set, and he seems set in them. You can't reason within his ground rules.

I agree that Sam's reasoning us sound in that you can't really use NT to refute it, mostly because the refutations only come from eisegesis.

How about the Timothy and Titus 'one wife' passages.... while I think them mistranslated, on face value, you can use them to argue that Paul leaves more than one wife as an option to all who are not deacons or elders.... and Romans, where there is no law there is no sin.

Add that to the comments! It's another presentation of the truth to refute the guy's error.

Thank you gentlemen. I ran into a bunch of "Universal" CoC folks in college and even went to a bible study and large service of theirs once after being invited. I quickly realized their "we are the only true church" vibe and hightailed it outta their grasp.

Tbh though, I've heard some funky Baptists claim the same thing (or close to it).

I didn't realize the mainstream CoC folks were of that mindset. Are you over generalizing @Kevin, or have others experienced this?
I have experience with what they teach in their college went for one semester. Theres an organization of a collection of 30 churches of several denominations I'm apart of. This is what I've bumped up against every time we try to approach them about working with us to do something for the kingdom or city. Individuals may vary but this has been my experience dealing with the leadership of their churches, the class that is mandatory at ACU about the Church of Christ teaches this or dealing with them as a congresation.

Having grown up in the Church of Christ I am familiar with Sunset Church of Christ. It is a major preaching school of the Church of Christ located in Lubbock, Texas.
I have to be in Lubbock in January maybe I'll pop in see if he wants to chat.:)

Last edited:
Back