• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

See it on Vimeo: Genesis 29-30: Jacob’s Family

I have been collecting CoC resources on Polygyny to create a CoC background rebuttal to them.

Would be interested to see what you have found.

I found the truth about marriage using the principles of interpretation instilled in me by the CoC. I think others can find it too. We are a stubborn bunch, though 😅.

Me, too! I always liked "Speak where the Bible speaks and be silent where the Bible is silent." and "Call Bible things by Bible names." :)

The Bible word for polygamy is...

From the first article's letter asking about polygamy.
" I know that because it is viewed as wrong by our culture that, even if we can do it, we shouldn’t have more than one wife. I also know that a guy would have to be crazy to want to deal with more than one wife and the conflict between the wives."

Bowing to and obeying culture?
And then the huge assumption of conflict between wives.

The man responding to his question is fairly honest about the scriptures.

"Our problem is that God never specifically condemns these men for their polygamy. It is that silence on this particular issue that gives us the greatest consternation. However, we must remember that silence on a particular issue is not the same as God’s approval of the behavior. Everyone can agree that the Scriptures overwhelmingly approve of and allow monogamy while the evidence for polygamy is suspect at best."

He is also less inclined to advocate for divorce.
"We now enter into the issue of opinion, and anything we say must be left in that realm. My opinion is that if a man had multiple wives before obeying the gospel, he would not be required to divorce any of them."

Yet then shows a common lack of thoroughness in determining the full meaning of the passage he bases his monogamy ideal on.

"However, once someone becomes a christian, they are commanded by God to only seek out one spouse for a lifetime (1 Cor 7:2)."

The second article is obviously written from an extreme place of bias and makes many broad statements that could not be supported honestly by scripture.

Back