• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Sisterwife Left- Husband ended things bc her divorce not fin

Re: Sisterwife Left- Husband ended things bc her divorce not

“Morally divorced”? Not sure I have heard that before. Sounds like one of those “I’m tired of this. Getting out of Dodge things”. If there is a “morally divorced” then perhaps here we have a “immorally married.”

Lysistrata - I concur with your advise to the single ladies. The pattern of pick up and put down has been seen many times on this forum. It is probably one of the biggest self-inflicted limitations on the growth of the biblical family movement.

I will conclude with advice from Beyonce:

All the single ladies, all the single ladies...
Pull me in your arms, say I'm the one you own...
'Cause if you liked it, you should have put a ring on it...

ylop

Lysistrata, thank you.

Ylop, thank you also. I agree with you 100%. as long as a second wife's status remains the same as an exotic item to be coveted (and then resented for inconveniently demanding equality of status with the first wife) and expected to give up all without any security or protection from the whims of men who so often do not practice as they preach, well what hope does this movement have? :cry:

Please understand this has nothing to do with the OP, but my frustration with the lack of true analysis on the part of some couples seeking, where the fantasy becomes all and reality of what it means to have another wife gets lost. She is a human being with all the expectations of security, dedication and happiness, how dare anyone short change these women and tell them that they should not expect the same. As an unmarried woman, It makes me really sad.....

Bels

A marriage cert and a divorce cert mean nothing to me when it comes to figuring these things out. However, the purpose of the divorce certificate is not to give a man an easy way out of a marriage, it is to protect the woman, and the next man that she goes to because the penalty for adultery was death. The certificate was to protect the woman and new husband from any claims by the former husband.

Anyway...

Is everyone in agreement that the woman was deceptive because she misrepresented her situation to her man in jail by not telling him she was leaving, and to the OP's husband by not telling him that the man in jail had no idea she was divorcing him?

The OP said that they did not know she was NOT divorced, and that her husband that is in jail had NO idea that his wife was moving on to another man? And I don't mean divorced with a certificate...if she had told the husband that was in jail that she was leaving him, then I would have said that the OP's family was wrong to put her out, because there was nothing about her that was unknown to them when she entered their family.

However, how can anyone be held to an agreement when one of the parties enters fraudulently? This is the real issue here and it all comes down to the man in jail not being told by his wife that she was leaving. Even if he told her no or that he did not want a divorce, at least he would have known.

I am completely opposed to men putting away wives for any situation other than adultery. If a man is asked by his first wife to choose between wives when things go south, the man should just say no to whatever wife is asking for the man to choose. A man is NOT allowed to choose, he already did when he married each of those women. His wife is asking him to do something that he has no right to do. And the man should be strong and NOT give in to any demands.

However, if I met a woman and she said that she had been divorced for three years, I would assume that the man that she divorced would actually know that his wife had left him. :shock: And this has nothing to do with a divorce certificate. I would be worried that an angry husband would be showing up demanding to know what was going on. The man has to be at least told that his wife is leaving for the woman to be divorced, moral, legal, certificate or not.

I feel like the members of this forum are mixing things they have seen in the past into the same bowl as this and treating this as the same situation and it is not. I have heard in the poly world about a single woman being cast out when the man or the man's other wife don't want to live poly anymore and I totally oppose that. But this situation is different because the woman misrepresented herself to her current man, and also the husband of the OP.

The OP's husband protected himself, his spiritual beliefs, his wife, the woman's honor, and the honor of the unknowing man in jail, and also the institution of marriage. If we don't support this, then we are supporting the theory that any partner can decide to leave a marriage without notice, legal or verbal, and that is not something that I can support.

I agree totally Paul. The actual events of this thread, you have a good handle on. The OP and the facts should not be tossed aside. This guy as far as I can tell did the right things, after finding out about the lie/false representation as single. The sisterhood bonding that the 1st and 2nd did; does not outweigh the fact that honor and truth were tossed aside upon a false foundation..

2 Tim 3:13 while evildoers and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.

Note: Christ is the filter. Most likely if the man had looked for Christ and Christian beliefs and words coming from the 2nd’s heart he would have noticed something amiss. Perhaps he should have asked more questions.

Paul not the apostle said:
A marriage cert and a divorce cert mean nothing to me when it comes to figuring these things out. However, the purpose of the divorce certificate is not to give a man an easy way out of a marriage, it is to protect the woman, and the next man that she goes to because the penalty for adultery was death. The certificate was to protect the woman and new husband from any claims by the former husband.

Anyway...

Is everyone in agreement that the woman was deceptive because she misrepresented her situation to her man in jail by not telling him she was leaving, and to the OP's husband by not telling him that the man in jail had no idea she was divorcing him?

The OP said that they did not know she was NOT divorced, and that her husband that is in jail had NO idea that his wife was moving on to another man? And I don't mean divorced with a certificate...if she had told the husband that was in jail that she was leaving him, then I would have said that the OP's family was wrong to put her out, because there was nothing about her that was unknown to them when she entered their family.

However, how can anyone be held to an agreement when one of the parties enters fraudulently? This is the real issue here and it all comes down to the man in jail not being told by his wife that she was leaving. Even if he told her no or that he did not want a divorce, at least he would have known.

I am completely opposed to men putting away wives for any situation other than adultery. If a man is asked by his first wife to choose between wives when things go south, the man should just say no to whatever wife is asking for the man to choose. A man is NOT allowed to choose, he already did when he married each of those women. His wife is asking him to do something that he has no right to do. And the man should be strong and NOT give in to any demands.

However, if I met a woman and she said that she had been divorced for three years, I would assume that the man that she divorced would actually know that his wife had left him. :shock: And this has nothing to do with a divorce certificate. I would be worried that an angry husband would be showing up demanding to know what was going on. The man has to be at least told that his wife is leaving for the woman to be divorced, moral, legal, certificate or not.

I feel like the members of this forum are mixing things they have seen in the past into the same bowl as this and treating this as the same situation and it is not. I have heard in the poly world about a single woman being cast out when the man or the man's other wife don't want to live poly anymore and I totally oppose that. But this situation is different because the woman misrepresented herself to her current man, and also the husband of the OP.

The OP's husband protected himself, his spiritual beliefs, his wife, the woman's honor, and the honor of the unknowing man in jail, and also the institution of marriage. If we don't support this, then we are supporting the theory that any partner can decide to leave a marriage without notice, legal or verbal, and that is not something that I can support.

I hear you, Sir...and I totally agree!

Gen 20:3 But God came to Abimelech in a dream by night, and said to him, Behold, thou art but a dead man, for the woman which thou hast taken; for she is a man's wife.

Gen 20:4 But Abimelech had not come near her: and he said, Lord, wilt thou slay also a righteous nation?
Gen 20:5 Said he not unto me, She is my sister? and she, even she herself said, He is my brother: in the integrity of my heart and innocency of my hands have I done this.

Gen 20:6 And God said unto him in a dream, Yea, I know that thou didst this in the integrity of thy heart; for I also withheld thee from sinning against me: therefore suffered I thee not to touch her.

Gen 20:7 Now therefore restore the man his wife; for he is a prophet, and he shall pray for thee, and thou shalt live: and if thou restore her not, know thou that thou shalt surely die, thou, and all that are thine.

This is a very appropriate passage of scripture for this thread.

Hi Paul NTA.

I am happy with your analysis and of course Abimelech is an appropriate passage to quote. We are not in conflict.

My issue is this:

I think there was at least a surface level of knowledge of the woman's true situation prior to the second 'marriage'; and there was a duty of care upon the potential husband to clarify the martial status beyond any doubt, prior to consummation.

In other words, an appropriate level of due diligence prior to making a life-changing decision.

ylop

I have to agree that there are two topics intermixed here.

The first deals with the OP. Information has been progressively given to us, to the point that I'm sure we all agree with Paul NTA that things are where they need to be in this specific case at this specific point in time.

Yet, i want to explore the ramifications of the portion of Paul's post dealing with having entered a relationship and finding that some things were misrepresented ...

Biblically, I'm reminded of the Gibeonites who made alliance with Israel fraudulently. God told Israel to honor the commitment.

Personally, I am reminded that in both of my marriages, I have met with surprises post-vows, things that did not turn out to be as I thought. Was either wife intentionally deceptive? Or have I managed to attribute other, kinder motives? With God's help, the latter!

So I hold hope for this family's future.

As to the times when a new wife is added and then discarded ... yup, it's why this board urges patience and taking some TIME instead of rushing to seal the deal.

Paul not the apostle said:

Anyway...

Yes, according to my understanding from reading the thread, the incoming woman deceived the family to whom she wished to belong. Thus, marital unfaithfulness applies to the woman and not to the husband or their family. Where this "throwing the 'innocent' woman out" tone is coming from I have no idea. From my perspective, if you deceive someone intentionally, you get either justice or mercy and have no right whatsoever to complain about either!

Regarding putting a woman away, adultery is not the only cause as nearly as I can tell. Although the word used is frequently translated 'sexual immorality' in most English translations, the Greek word used is frequently used generally throughout the old testament (Septuagint) to denote unfaithfulness in general. Particularly, the same word is used by God's prophets to describe how His people (Israel and Judah) treated Him as I recall. In particular, the penalty for adultery was death, not divorce. And yes, I know that loving mercy is a virtue, so forgiveness is certainly preferrable. However, I'm quite convinced that when Jesus describes the only situation that warrants divorce, He is speaking of obstinate rebellion on the part of the wife generally and not just adultery. To your point about giving in to demands, I fully agree; and a wife that demanded such a thing from a husband would be sitting in obstinate rebellion to her head.

With the remaining part of your post I agree completely. In addition, and perhaps very controversially, I see no biblical precedent for a woman initiating a divorce in the first place. I'm certain this will draw much fire, but if anyone wishes to flame me; then please do so from a scriptural basis and not an emotional one. Life is tough, and often can be very rough as well. I can tell you that the last thing I wish to do is speak favorably for a man in prison, largely because I assume he did something to deserve being there. However, none of this negates the fact that the prisoner's wife belonged to him, and it is up to him to put her away. If he doesn't put her away, then no one else can claim her. If the woman cannot remain in the relationship and chooses to leave, I've all confidence she's forgiven for it, though I still hold her accountable for (at least) informing her husband of her intent! But, if she truly wants to get out of the relationship the way the Lord would have it work, I think she needs to seek the Lord's aid to repair the relationship or to have her husband send her out of it.

In case any of you think I speak this from an uneducated perspective, don't be so hasty. Though I'm not keen to share the details of Diener's former marriage, suffice it to say that I know *very* well what I'm talking about, and how painful it can be for a woman to obediently remain in a perverse relationship. From my own experience, I also know very well how futile it can be for a man to overcome obstinate rebellion in a woman. Indeed, I was married to a woman for nearly 24 years that was intoxicated every single night she went to bed, except for those times when she was hospitalized for overdoses or such (fewer than a dozen straight days in a quarter century). Diener's situation was even worse because she understood her duty to be obedient to her husband (I felt no such constraint, but rather just wanted to 'fix' the one I was with).

In any case, from what I can tell the husband did the right thing, and it sucked for him, the woman he rejected, and his family. To echo what Cecil said earlier, there is no good in tearing this new family apart. However, it also seems it might have been just as abhorrent to tear the old family apart. Praise God for His Son and our savior, that we all might be forgiven our foolishness!

Lysistrata said:
Humm...We have here a man who goes to prison... do you suppose that he was wrongly charged for crimes against society? Poor guy... (sarcasm) His wife, while left alone and hurting, additionally finds out that he had affairs while he was married to her. This guy sounds like a winner (notice the sarcasm again) Yet, you all say that this man has a claim to this woman?
Lysistrata said:
Yes, he does still have a claim to her. Just because he's been to prison doesn't give any of us the right to cast him off as a undeserving man who cant change and find the love and forgiveness of Yeshua.
I wouldn't treat a dog that way. If a sweet dog had been abandoned and mistreated then I would take it home and love and feed it.. and I sure as heck would not give it back to the owner if he asked for it back. That is how I would treat a dog... I would think that a woman would deserve even more consideration, wouldn't you?

You really don't have the right to keep the dog if the owner comes back. It is their dog, and they still have ownership. If you suspect someone is mistreating their child, would you just TAKE the child?

I think that I am hearing from the "OP", as you all call her, that her "sisterwife" may be thinking that she still loves her louse of a "legal" husband.
I would say that if she wants to go back to him then let her go; however, if she stated (or even hinted because some women have no backbone) that she wanted to stay and did indeed want to divorce the louse, then all three should have been standing together by the door with a shotgun in hand and divorce papers to shove down the louse's throat! Now, if she chooses to divorce him, she will stand alone.

There is another voice that is not being heard here and that is the one of her legal husband in prison. The fact that he's made mistakes doesn't mean that society can cast him off and take away his rights... my husband understands this. Out of respect for HER HUSBAND, he will not TAKE ANOTHER MANS WIFE until that man is AWARE that he has been or will be divorced whether morally or legally.

** the moderator baton has been wielded. **

*sigh*

my hat is off to you,
Sir Cecil

Back