• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Skin color, must we be dependent upon a form of evolution for the explanation?

There is no direct textual evidence for, but quite a bit against this idea.
I don’t see any direct evidence against the idea. You’ve brought up some interesting points in English translations but none of it precludes pre-Fall children and ultimately the text is silent on the matter so it simply isn’t important. Anyone is free to believe whatever they want about it with no penalty or harm.

Pre-flood, CO2 levels would have probably been substantially higher. This is because if all the pre-flood vegetation was buried (becoming coal etc), and the world needed to grow a whole new vegetation cover, all the carbon in that new vegetation had to come out of the atmosphere. This would deplete the atmosphere and result in a substantially depressed CO2 content - and as a result slower plant growth and conditions generally less favourable to life. Which means of course that the more coal we burn, the more we restore the original atmosphere, so if we want to restore the world to the lushness of Eden we need to burn as much coal as possible, but I digress... :) My point is that in a much better ecosystem everything can be expected to grow better, which helps to explain megafauna as well.
Well there’s no textual evidence for any of that!

What was different after the fall?
What changes happened that would have curtailed megafauna?
The whole of Creation was corrupted by death by Adam’s sin. Animals, many of which grow for as long as they live, also started dying. Reptiles particularly grow as long as they have food and space. Their shorter post-Fall lives simply don’t let them grow that big anymore.

The whole of Creation was corrupted by death by Adam’s sin. Animals, many of which grow for as long as they live, also started dying. Reptiles particularly grow as long as they have food and space. Their shorter post-Fall lives simply don’t let them grow that big anymore.
I think we have much clearer textual evidence for shorter post-flood lives, if we look at human ages. I'm assuming you're not seriously suggesting animals lived for hundreds of thousands of years pre-fall and there were hundreds of thousands of years for them to live in, because that raises impossible demographic problems - the world would be absolutely flooded with immortal animals starving but unable to die. If your hypothesis that Adam and Eve were in the garden for hundreds of thousands of years is correct, animal death pre-fall is a practical necessity. So we have no evidence of a change in lifespan for animals at the time of the fall. And the change that occurred for humans can hardly be called a change of lifespan either - going from immortal to mortal is a qualitative change, not a quantitative one.

However, we have strong evidence for the change of lifespan of humans at the time of the flood, from the genealogies, and the most logical practical cause for this (even if it was God's direct intent but through a practical cause) is the drastic change in climatic and other conditions at the time of the flood. If these conditions caused that change in humans, they would cause the same change in animals.

So that means animals would have lived, like humans, approximately ten times longer pre-flood than post-flood. Which explains megafauna for the same reasons you have outlined, just without requiring any long pre-fall period to do so, so is a more natural reading of scripture.

Pre-flood, CO2 levels would have probably been substantially higher. This is because if all the pre-flood vegetation was buried (becoming coal etc), and the world needed to grow a whole new vegetation cover, all the carbon in that new vegetation had to come out of the atmosphere. This would deplete the atmosphere and result in a substantially depressed CO2 content - and as a result slower plant growth and conditions generally less favourable to life. Which means of course that the more coal we burn, the more we restore the original atmosphere, so if we want to restore the world to the lushness of Eden we need to burn as much coal as possible, but I digress... :) My point is that in a much better ecosystem everything can be expected to grow better, which helps to explain megafauna as well.
I LOVE it! Hopefully this doesn't derail the thread, but I had a coworker who was one of those environmentalist hybrid driving "save the planet" libtards. I told him that I had found a good way to save money by switching to coal (because in Texas, we can choose who provides our power), and I got a good eye roll from him.

This is part of why I do not object to notions of the universe being billions of years old or even eternal as some cosmologists are suggesting.

Imagine all the things that God caused to pass so you would be here, right now, at this moment?

It is humbling to consider.
We have had this discussion before. I brought up Barry Setterfield and his C-Decay Theory, which you kind of poo-pooed. Eternity past is something the human mind can NEVER comprehend, regardless of how old the universe itself happens to be. No one could possibly imagine all the thing that God caused to pass, because that number is infinite, as it was an infinite amount of time before God started the process.

I think we have much clearer textual evidence for shorter post-flood lives, if we look at human ages. I'm assuming you're not seriously suggesting animals lived for hundreds of thousands of years pre-fall and there were hundreds of thousands of years for them to live in, because that raises impossible demographic problems - the world would be absolutely flooded with immortal animals starving but unable to die. If your hypothesis that Adam and Eve were in the garden for hundreds of thousands of years is correct, animal death pre-fall is a practical necessity. So we have no evidence of a change in lifespan for animals at the time of the fall. And the change that occurred for humans can hardly be called a change of lifespan either - going from immortal to mortal is a qualitative change, not a quantitative one.

However, we have strong evidence for the change of lifespan of humans at the time of the flood, from the genealogies, and the most logical practical cause for this (even if it was God's direct intent but through a practical cause) is the drastic change in climatic and other conditions at the time of the flood. If these conditions caused that change in humans, they would cause the same change in animals.

So that means animals would have lived, like humans, approximately ten times longer pre-flood than post-flood. Which explains megafauna for the same reasons you have outlined, just without requiring any long pre-fall period to do so, so is a more natural reading of scripture.
I don't think so this explanation for megafauna is good. 10X bigger in adult requires different body shape. Same for their younglings. This implies new species which imply mass extinction (how, from what).

And this drives ecosystem implications. If T-rex is on top of food chain, how would humans survive? In fact, human survival requires megafauna extinction. Simply, agriculture means living in same place which means T-rex knows where to find for him "meat ice-cream desert".

And what about current fauna? Did they come later or were concurent with megafauna? If concurrent, how did they outcompete megafauna (unlikely due to being smaller). How could orcas survive sharing seas with megalodolon, mosasaurus, predator X and Livyatan melville. I would expect these superpredators to hunt orcas to extinction. Or if megafauna and current fauna weren't concurrent, then what drove megafauna extinction and arrival of current one?

10X bigger in adult requires different body shape.
Never said 10x bigger. I said live 10x longer. This gives time for a reptile growing at an expected growth rate to reach the size of a dinosaur. Obviously we don't have the same species now, they've died out. But it explains how those species, when they were present, had time to grow so large.
And this drives ecosystem implications. If T-rex is on top of food chain, how would humans survive? In fact, human survival requires megafauna extinction. Simply, agriculture means living in same place which means T-rex knows where to find for him "meat ice-cream desert".
Humans are always top of the food chain. We're smarter than animals.
And what about current fauna? Did they come later or were concurent with megafauna? If concurrent, how did they outcompete megafauna (unlikely due to being smaller). How could orcas survive sharing seas with megalodolon, mosasaurus, predator X and Livyatan melville. I would expect these superpredators to hunt orcas to extinction. Or if megafauna and current fauna weren't concurrent, then what drove megafauna extinction and arrival of current one?
Concurrent. The trend in the world is for species to become extinct and diversity to reduce over time - we've seen plenty of examples of that during our own lifetimes. Go back in time and there was simply a greater diversity of species. The larger ones died out due to "climate change" (caused by the flood), or predation / extermination by humans. Extermination explains the loss of some of the more dangerous species, and also all the dragon legends in oral history - when there are dangerous animals around, humans naturally seek to exterminate them, and the people who kill the last ones are remembered as heroes.

Never said 10x bigger. I said live 10x longer. This gives time for a reptile growing at an expected growth rate to reach the size of a dinosaur. Obviously we don't have the same species now, they've died out. But it explains how those species, when they were present, had time to grow so large.
Dinos don't need to much time. Current estimates are weight gain of one tonne per year for sauropods reaching adulthood in 2 decades.

Maybe decade more than current largest mammals. So 10X time don't matter.
Humans are always top of the food chain. We're smarter than animals.
Nope. We rely on technology we extend our reach. And we start with zero technology. So either garden if eden had "shield" keeping out bad boys out or they don't live together.

And how exactly is our smartness is supposed to constantly keep T-rexs out? And plural is correct. Hunt in packs, bite force strong enough to crush steel (armor won't stop them) and can find you/follow you kilometers away. So humans will notice them when T-rexs decide to sprung trap. In such situation survival is enhanced by replacing smartness with rocket engine on butt.

Smartness is only powerful advantage when physical power is less important. Maybe even saber-tooths can be powerful enough to for problematic survival.

Concurrent. The trend in the world is for species to become extinct and diversity to reduce over time - we've seen plenty of examples of that during our own lifetimes. Go back in time and there was simply a greater diversity of species. The larger ones died out due to "climate change" (caused by the flood), or predation / extermination by humans. Extermination explains the loss of some of the more dangerous species, and also all the dragon legends in oral history - when there are dangerous animals around, humans naturally seek to exterminate them, and the people who kill the last ones are remembered as heroes.
Fossil records also shows explosions of life which also requires explanation. And there was no hunting out large sea predators. Flood doesn't stop large fishes.

Yes. Spear band is enough for herbivores. What about packs of predators?
Humans have always killed predators. A "spear band" as you put it is essentially what an old-fashioned whaling crew is, and they killed the largest predators in history - sperm whales. A pack of primitive hunters could take down a T-Rex, or anything you can think of. It just takes ingenuity.

Humans have always killed predators. A "spear band" as you put it is essentially what an old-fashioned whaling crew is, and they killed the largest predators in history - sperm whales. A pack of primitive hunters could take down a T-Rex, or anything you can think of. It just takes ingenuity.
@FollowingHim, you are disregarding most important fact.

It's not 1 predator vs human group where you can easily play smarter tactics. You can face one bigger predator by surronding him, using fire and spears where he is one feeling death anxiety.

It's group vs group fights. And predator groups means intelligence. In worst case it's night attack by T-rexs in forest who's approach can't be seen or heard till they are in your face. Verdict: Total wipeout of human group.

And even if approach is detected on time, then human ground is surronded and hope that some spears pointed outside with some fire will be enough.

And don't forget vulnerability of pregnant women and small children. Group can't run, it must fight.

And so far nothing mentions differences in size. Even sabertooth or bear would be real problem for group, nevermind something pack of something 10X more dangerous.

And since predators have superiority in senses they choose time and place of fight. Not humans. In military terms, predators are ones having iniciative which means fight is on their terms.

Survival means that species can easily accept worst-case scenarios which don't happen often. Triceraptor herd in worst case loses one member (not whole group as humans) and usually can fight out attack. So Triceraptors are fine.

Think a little. Reasonable security means moving and living inside roman style fortified camp. How to they get food? Problematic to grow enough food inside camp and getting outside is dangerous. And moving out means building new camp for every night. A lot of time spend and energy spend keeping dangerous animals out, instead of providing food.

And so far nobody has mentioned needed minimun size of human group for survival? 50,60 or hundreds. What I know is that larger group is, they will more depend on agriculture or be forced to follow big herbivore group. And big predators would like to do some competition elimination. And how can you follow herbivores when you must spend at least 4 hours of camp work (both building news and taking stuff from old)?

And what about sea? By sea, I mean megalodon babies of great white shark size swimming in coastal waters (1 km from coast) because their natural habitat open ocean is too dangerous. Would you now go fishing in primitive boat wiyh some nets.

Just because we had won in current history with current start conditions as were when humans had arrived, doesn't mean we would won if starting conditions were different.

You have a cartoonish idea of how dangerous a T-rex was @MemeFan and are then overthinking things based on that false assumption. It wasn't the intelligent upright predator pictured in movies, it walked with its head low to the ground, and its teeth had extremely shallow roots which suggest it ate softer foods rather than used them to fight tough animals. And it had a tiny brain. So it was most likely a carrion and opportunistic feeder, not an intelligent pack hunter. Dangerous, but not superior to a band of skilled hunters. Don't get your biology knowledge from Jurassic Park.

They were way dangerous according to paleontology that to Jurassic Park. Jurassic Park is action movie. Facing real ones is horror movie.

Think hypoteticals. Who chooses when conflict? One with several time senses? So dino at night. Stealth means there is no early warning. First warning is scream of soon to be eaten guard if you are lucky.

Next thing you know while trying too figure what is happening is bunch of huge monsters among your group creating total panic, no chance of coordinated defence and everyone running to save their skins which means babies, small children and pregnant women finish as snacks.

Verdict: massacre. Anything else is some strange situation favouring humans.

And I had watched dino documentaries at least once whole night being suprised at coming sunlight.

Last edited:
So, you're getting your information from dramatised documentaries that are made to be extreme for clickbait purposes?

Just listen to the way the guy in the first movie is talking - drama queen extreme. And "Several time senses"? Extremely aggressive? They only dug up bones @MemeFan, you could only get that information from soft tissues and observing them in the wild. And hunting in packs? Their only evidence is "monospecific bone beds" where a herd were simultaneously killed and suddenly buried in enough mud to fossilise them without being eaten first - that's not evidence of predation, it's evidence of a flash flood. If they'd been predated they wouldn't have been fossilised. These "documentaries" are 80% fiction @MemeFan. The bones are fact, the rest is speculation, there are many different speculations possible, and they include the most extreme versions of the speculation to get more views and earn money.

I'll just stop discussing this now though, as it's pointless to show the errors in those videos, since even if all that crap was true, it doesn't change a thing. Sperm whales are still far bigger and even live underwater where humans can't reach them, only surfacing for a few minutes occasionally, they're intelligent like dolphins and can smash a wooden boat to matchsticks with a flick of their tail - yet even they can be killed with spears.

They were way dangerous according to paleontology that to Jurassic Park. Jurassic Park is action movie. Facing real ones is horror movie.

Think hypoteticals. Who chooses when conflict? One with several time senses? So dino at night. Stealth means there is no early warning. First warning is scream of soon to be eaten guard if you are lucky.

Next thing you know while trying too figure what is happening is bunch of huge monsters among your group creating total panic, no chance of coordinated defence and everyone running to save their skins which means babies, small children and pregnant women finish as snacks.

Verdict: massacre. Anything else is some strange situation favouring humans.

And I had watched dino documentaries at least once whole night being suprised at coming sunlight.
These dramatizations assume that humans would have been their only source of food. After a while, a beast gets tired of killing prey and stomachs get full, cold blooded animals eat far less than warm blooded animals.

I'm assuming you're not seriously suggesting animals lived for hundreds of thousands of years pre-fall and there were hundreds of thousands of years for them to live in,
Then you assume incorrectly. No one said that there was no death for animals, I assume that carnivores were still carnivores for instance, only that death wasn’t a given. There was no natural end to their lifespans.

Why they hell is this such a controversial idea? I’ve heard way crazier stuff than this promulgated here with out so much as an eye roll. This is my idea and I don’t care about it this much.

Although it would be a good setting for a series of fantasy novels, hmmmmmmm………

I assume that carnivores were still carnivores for instance,
6The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.

7And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.

I take this to mean that carnivores will not be carnivores in that time, so it seems a reasonable assumption that there was a time when they weren’t.
I believe that when Yah killed the animals for their skins, to cover their nakedness, it was quite a shock for the humans. ( it would be interesting to know if He took them through a tanning process before the clothing was ready, rawhide is not a friendly material)
Of course, I am flying Conjecture Airlines also. But it is fun to consider.

Back