• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Slain in the spirit

One of my biggest concerns, is when Christian ministries excoriate other Christian ministries, and rightfully so, because they are using discernment, and the response from those other ministries, is that using discernment is somehow, a bad thing.

The problem is that The Gifts are merely gifts, they were never intended to be protocol. We are tempted to treat them as an obligation of the Almighty. They aren’t, they are just reminders of how life should be if we were to actually walk in the way that we were intended to walk.
It’s not a matter of whether or not they exist and are for today. History is replete with people receiving a gift and then building a ministry out of it. But gifts are temporary in their very nature.

Lifestyle is what we are called to, not gifting.
Think about buying a house. You give the seller an “earnest money” check to show that you are serious. But the house does not become yours until you have completed the rest of the transaction. Gifts are just the earnest money in anticipation of the lifestyle.

Soo...., do you want to know what the lifestyle is?
Me too. o_O
But I am committed to learning what it is.
We will either get past the glass ceiling of what we perceive as the low expectations that Yah has for us, or we will continue to repeat everyone else’s experiences.

I totally agree. I have had one experience where I got totally gob smacked by the Holy Spirit. I know it was God because I am not any emotional person and I was bawling may eyes out and with no one near me, I started to fall out. I think one has to be willing to let God do with them what he so chooses to do.

One of my biggest concerns, is when Christian ministries excoriate other Christian ministries, and rightfully so, because they are using discernment, and the response from those other ministries, is that using discernment is somehow, a bad thing.
Yes, I agree.
We don’t spend enough time discerning and exposing each other.

After all, we are to be our brothers keeper.

Yes, I agree.

When someone uses the term "brother's keeper", my nitpicky side gets jostled a bit, since I know that the expression has come to mean something completely foreign to what Cain intended for it to mean.

When someone uses the term "brother's keeper", my nitpicky side gets jostled a bit, since I know that the expression has come to mean something completely foreign to what Cain intended for it to mean.
Yup

This didn’t raise any red flags?

A lot of what you witnessed is 'going through the motions'. There was a big 'move of the Spirit' that resulted in great things and they take this as the model for how it must be done and keep doing that. Even after the move stops. Even when someone as yourself needs something else; you don't fit what they're selling. This isn't just about charasmatic things, many different denominations go through the motions of the things they used to do when people flocked to them decades ago (ex. tent revivals, etc).

I say this without claim as to whether these charismatic moves were from God, from the evil one, or just simply hysteria. But the last time I visited a church such as this it was all emotional fakery, a preacher using music, words and energy to amp up people and create a hormonal/emotional sense of excitement that people would experience as the spirit moving.

Something happened to me, and it didn't feel like God. That is what is concerning me.

That is my concern. There is a tendency for most people to fall into two camps: to decry it as all fakery or to uncritically accept anything smacking of a move of the spirit as from God.

But the Christian worldview accepts not just miraculous/spiritual things from God but also from evil spirits. Demons. Fallen angels. Women with a vile spirit who could see the future. A man possessed by a demon who did feats of strength. Not every miraculous thing is from God.

It is my sense that the laying on of hands is more than mere physical connection or symbol and that one should be careful about who you let lay hands upon you.

Is being slain in the spirit, as performed in modern groups, mentioned in Scripture?

I tend to take a logical approach to judging such things by scripture and see if scripture describes them as coming from God or the evil one. At first blush one would say no, we do not see the modern practice of slain in the spirit in scripture. But we do see something similar it....

Then one of the crowd answered and said, “Teacher, I brought You my son, who has a mute spirit. And wherever it seizes him, it throws him down; he foams at the mouth, gnashes his teeth, and becomes rigid. So I spoke to Your disciples, that they should cast it out, but they could not.”

He answered him and said, “O faithless generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I bear with you? Bring him to Me.” Then they brought him to Him. And when he saw Him, immediately the spirit convulsed him, and he fell on the ground and wallowed, foaming at the mouth.

So He asked his father, “How long has this been happening to him?”

And he said, “From childhood. And often he has thrown him both into the fire and into the water to destroy him. But if You can do anything, have compassion on us and help us.”

Jesus said to him, “If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.”

Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, “Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!”

When Jesus saw that the people came running together, He rebuked the unclean spirit, saying to it, “Deaf and dumb spirit, I command you, come out of him and enter him no more!” Then the spirit cried out, convulsed him greatly, and came out of him. And he became as one dead, so that many said, “He is dead.” But Jesus took him by the hand and lifted him up, and he arose.

And when He had come into the house, His disciples asked Him privately, “Why could we not cast it out?”

So He said to them, “This kind can come out by nothing but prayer and fasting.”

This is an hostile spirit controlling a child, throwing him to the ground. The physical action is much the same as 'slain in the spirit' (thrown to the ground). So is the convulsions (if I understand how the practice goes in some cases). Now my impression is that today this is more likely to result in a daze or fits of laughter than being burned, this is the closest analog in scripture that I can think of and much closer than anything spoken of as from the Holy Spirit that I'm aware of.

The third eye.....hmmmm.

I have no doubt that in what you observed there existed a lot of “Wildfire” (as an old pastor called it) that Yah had nothing to do with, but He is more often in the experience of the few than He is of the many.
That is an excellent observation. God often works in individuals in circumstances where others don't see Him working at all - because He isn't working with everyone there, just specific people.

Back