• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

So I'm Introducing Myself...

I love "Pride and Prejudice." The 4 hour movie with Colin Firth is pretty good. The acting was great and they took the time to keep a lot of the dialogue and character development. I don't have anything good to say about the other versions of it though. Out of Jane Austen's books my favourite one is probably "Northanger Abbey."

It has 1 flaw: In the book Austen does not tell you that Darcy is working behind the scenes to find Wickham. Jane has no clue until Lydia gives it away by casual mention after she is married. In this TV version they give it away early spoiling the effect.

Oh don't worry about little old me Joseph Smith once said that, "...If we go to hell, we will turn the devils out of doors and make a heaven of it." So if I be damned for my LDS beliefs I promise you that I will make it one hell of a heaven :)
Based

I think more lurk here than we realize and I am sure that most fundamentalist Mormons who are active online are aware of us and consider us allies
I always assumed they considered us loons

I know there are plenty out there we never hear about or from. I figure that they are still concerned about maintaining the Masquerade and keeping their heads down.

I think more lurk here than we realize and I am sure that most fundamentalist Mormons who are active online are aware of us and consider us allies and friendly.

I thought they considered you all comrades in arms so to speak.
Yes that! That is the blog that led me here!
I had no idea there were christians who practiced poly before reading a post on that blog

I saw this thread reappear, and noted this never got answered as succinctly as it should be:

Personally I believe polygamy itself (Why does everyone here say polygyny? What's the reason? I never heard that term till this site)

It's about being "Scripturally-correct," since that is a good goal, especially when folks don't understand.

Here are the words to understand:

Polyandry - ONE woman, MULTIPLE Husbands. (Biblically, that's called "adultery".)
Polygyny - ONE man, multiple wives. Which is Scripturally correct, and examples abound.

Polygamy - ANY or all of the above. And therein lies the rub.

While most folks (especially LDS, FLDS) would use the term polygamy, and ONLY mean the one (correct) variation - the word includes that other option that is forbidden in Scripture.

So, I personally prefer the term "polygyny"; that way, not only is there no confusion, but if someone asks, the explanation includes the Truth from Scripture in the process.

PS> As for the kinda revolting nuvo-PC term "polyamory" - it means "love is love," yuk. Not just all of the above, but no commitment required, no relation to the Bible whatsoever, and the participants need not even have the genitalia YHVH gave them...

Last edited:
I saw this thread reappear, and noted this never got answered as succinctly as it should be:

It's about being "Scripturally-correct," since that is a good goal, especially when folks don't understand.

Polyandry - ONE woman, MULTIPLE Husbands. (Biblically, that's called "adultery".)
Polygyny - ONE man, multiple wives. Which is Scripturally correct, and examples abound.

While most folks (especially LDS, FLDS) would use the term polygamy, and ONLY mean the one (correct) variation - the word includes that other option that is forbidden in Scripture.

So, I personally prefer the term "polygyny"; that way, not only is there no confusion, but if someone asks, the explanation includes the Truth from Scripture in the process.

PS> As for the kinda revolting nuvo-PC term "polyamory" - it means "love is love," yuk. Not just all of the above, but no commitment required, no relation to the Bible whatsoever, and the participants need not even have the genitalia YHVH gave them...
I am beating the plural marriage drum myself as many will know. I lead that parade explicitly because of the swinger types having rebranded themselves with the poly label.
Ever since then we have been comflated with that group in people's minds.
I have debated "poly" people in the past and had them make the claim that we are in fact all on the same "ethical non monogamy" spectrum. I see their point but reject the notion entirely as I reject their creepy subculture which has negatively effected the plig set. I have encountered people unfamiliar with either group beyond the conflated tidbits they had picked up culturally and they were under the impression that plig families got together for fishbowl parties full of swapping and whatnot. Ugh...ffs

Dislike intensely when waters get muddied. So I lead with plural marriage and then if there is interest I might explain the various types of polygamy and how the only practical one is polygyny.

And now we have another conundrum with PeteR’s latest video’s highly educated family using “polyGyny” with a “g” as in “goat” rather than a “g” as in “giant.” 🤔😵‍💫😅

Is polygamy pronounced polyjammy now suddenly?

Not sure how I feel about that. Does it imply a family band? A lot for music or perhaps headbanging in the kitchen? Something to chasing wives with spoons full of jam?
Hmmm

Back