• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

So I'm Introducing Myself...

If I'm not mistaken, only the moderators have that authority.

You can edit your own posts, right? I know I can and often do edit my own posts.

You can edit your own posts, right? I know I can and often do edit my own posts.
I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying that other people could edit or delete your posts. We can all edit our own.

Thank you so much! I only see the report, quote and reply. Maybe I'm missing something. Above is also just sharing bookmarking and a number... Well thank you! Hopefully I can figure it out.

Thank you again! I had heard about polyandry and polyamory so I just thought that polygamy only meant the one husband and multiple wives.

Oh I should say. I have never met polygamist or talked to any before... So people here are the only polygynists I have ever spoken to. Or at least have responded to me. Haha! I have never actually met one in real life but I have discussed the topic with friends and others before but none of us actually knew any we just thought theoretically or in the eyes of God that it wasn't wrong

Welcome Ruth. I've learned a lot since joining BF and feel there are a variety of beliefs on here so you'll definitely get a wide variety of opinions on here so take all the comments with a grain of salt and let your Bible help you discover the truth.
Thank you! I expected as much! I mean we're all on the earth still learning, even people all of the same faith and practice will have a variety of opinions

I don't think they are all corrupt. Sometimes people are blinded by their traditions, and have never even considered an issue.
You can't miss truth about building block of society: marriage and inheritance laws. They can't be left for later.

It's something else.

Do mormons never really turn up here?
They come to the website all the time. They never turn up at my door looking for a cup of herbal tea though - I live in New Zealand and there are hardly any Mormon missionaries here. JWs, but no Mormons.
In my case, I was raised in one branch of Evangelicalism (Wesleyan Methodist type) and as an adult became persuaded that another branch of Evangelicalism (Reformed Baptist) seemed (in my opinion) to fit better with the Bible.
Very common journey. My great-great-great-grandfather was a Wesleyan Methodist preacher in England. His mother was actually converted by the Wesley brothers directly. He started many churches over there, then emigrated to New Zealand, became a Baptist, and founded our regional Baptist organisation and a number of Baptist churches here including the one we presently attend.
Most of my friends have been Catholic, agnostic, or atheist. I had a good muslim friend, she was cute.
In my last flat at university we had a Protestant (me), a Catholic, a Muslim and an atheist. Nobody managed to convert the atheist, but during Ramadan we shifted our mealtime to after sunset so the Muslim would stay on the cooking roster. The Muslim was a good cook.
So... Is she single? :cool:
Thank you so much! I only see the report, quote and reply. Maybe I'm missing something. Above is also just sharing bookmarking and a number... Well thank you! Hopefully I can figure it out.
As a new user your account was automatically restricted slightly. It should be working now.

If I may add Ruth that convictions can be an impediment to your spiritual growth. Growing up as a Lutheran I would of told you 3 years ago that poly was a sin. I have my core faith principles that help guide my journey but through His Word I am continually learning with new understandings coming to light all the time. If you're open to his Word you may find your previous convictions had held you back from the blessings he has for you.

@Ruthelizabeth raise a good point about one of the benefits of polygamy for women. Multiple women can share one very good man. It might enable a woman to get a better man than she could under monogamy.

Sometimes sharing a really good man might be better than having your own mediocre one.

Forced monogamy leaves some women with no husband and means that other women have to marry low quality lazy men. Polygamy motivates men to be better.

They come to the website all the time. They never turn up at my door looking for a cup of herbal tea though - I live in New Zealand and there are hardly any Mormon missionaries here. JWs, but no Mormons.

Very common journey. My great-great-great-grandfather was a Wesleyan Methodist preacher in England. His mother was actually converted by the Wesley brothers directly. He started many churches over there, then emigrated to New Zealand, became a Baptist, and founded our regional Baptist organisation and a number of Baptist churches here including the one we presently attend.

In my last flat at university we had a Protestant (me), a Catholic, a Muslim and an atheist. Nobody managed to convert the atheist, but during Ramadan we shifted our mealtime to after sunset so the Muslim would stay on the cooking roster. The Muslim was a good cook.
So... Is she single? :cool:

As a new user your account was automatically restricted slightly. It should be working now.
Wow! Your people have been in New Zealand quite a while.

Speaking of the Wesley brothers, weren't two of their sisters married to polygamous men? I remember reading something about that. As I recall, Susanna Wesley (mother of John and Charles) who is regarded as being very godly even lived with one of these daughters in her old age. There were some polygamy connections in that First Great Awakening movement of the 1700s, most notably Martin Madan.

I know one of their sisters was married to a polygamist. Polygamy has deep roots in the reformation - it's the "dirty little secret" hiding in the cupboard of several key names of the period.

And yes, we've been here for a very long time - and not just in New Zealand, right here where we live. The farm I am farming was first purchased by my great-great-grandmother - the aforementioned preacher's daughter - around 1905 I believe, and the family had been in the area for a couple of decades prior to that particular purchase.

I wasn't going to post an introduction as I hate the spotlight and only joined to try the Ladies Only Weekly chats. However, I ended up commenting on more threads than I meant to, so when someone suggested I make an introduction it felt silly not to. So here I am! I am LDS but I believe that polygamy is the way that God designed for marriage to be seeing as the men who knew him best on the earth lived that way.
I am the oldest of thirteen children and yes we all come from the same mother. I spent my life moving all over the United States and Canada, and when I turned 19 I lived in England for some time. (So if ever I do come to a meet, which I doubt cause I'm dirt poor, and only living by the grace of God, just know that if I slip into a British accent I am not faking, rather I am panicking and nervous and I just happened to pick it up living there.) Now I reside in the middle of nowhere on the east coast of the United States. As for my job, I work as a children's book artist and author. I also do some art for the homeschool curriculum my mother writes. So if I comment at random times in the day, please don't view me as idle and unemployed but rather on a flexible schedule.
I am single... (Don't mention it, it makes my mother cry, but I'm picky and refuse to marry a man I don't respect or love!) So the point is that I've never actually lived polygamy, nor are my parents polygamists, I just wanted to associate with people who were, as I believe it's the right way to live.
I joined the forum to meet other girls who believe in plural marriage and hopefully make some friends. Please do not feel obligated to tell me "Welcome :)" This is just out there so you get a briefing of who I am when I comment. Cheers
Welcome, I hope you enjoy this site and the fellowship, I am not LDS but I have spent a deal of time the last few summers with some FLDS/Mennonites (I called them mormonites as they followed early Mormon teachings and menno simon... I really enjoyed their company. They are a very large family and very kind. I was sorrowful to see they had faced so much rejection but encouraged by their enthusiastic outlook on life and hardiness to difficulties and struggle. I felt like I could relate in may ways even though there were many things we didn't agree on. I was sad to see many Christians not want to take the time to listen to them. Anyway, glad to see you are here!

I wasn't going to post an introduction as I hate the spotlight and only joined to try the Ladies Only Weekly chats. However, I ended up commenting on more threads than I meant to, so when someone suggested I make an introduction it felt silly not to. So here I am! I am LDS but I believe that polygamy is the way that God designed for marriage to be seeing as the men who knew him best on the earth lived that way.
I am the oldest of thirteen children and yes we all come from the same mother. I spent my life moving all over the United States and Canada, and when I turned 19 I lived in England for some time. (So if ever I do come to a meet, which I doubt cause I'm dirt poor, and only living by the grace of God, just know that if I slip into a British accent I am not faking, rather I am panicking and nervous and I just happened to pick it up living there.) Now I reside in the middle of nowhere on the east coast of the United States. As for my job, I work as a children's book artist and author. I also do some art for the homeschool curriculum my mother writes. So if I comment at random times in the day, please don't view me as idle and unemployed but rather on a flexible schedule.
I am single... (Don't mention it, it makes my mother cry, but I'm picky and refuse to marry a man I don't respect or love!) So the point is that I've never actually lived polygamy, nor are my parents polygamists, I just wanted to associate with people who were, as I believe it's the right way to live.
I joined the forum to meet other girls who believe in plural marriage and hopefully make some friends. Please do not feel obligated to tell me "Welcome :)" This is just out there so you get a briefing of who I am when I comment. Cheers
Obliged or not, welcome to the party.

You open to giving feedback on homeschool curriculum and so forth? I figure you likely know a bit about it under the circumstances.
My wife and I are homeschooling our son and always interested in learning more from others with experience

I grew up moving a lot. Most of my friends have not had similar beliefs to my own. I think I've maybe had three close LDS friends growing up. Most of my friends have been Catholic, agnostic, or atheist. I had a good muslim friend, she was cute. My mom's best friend is baptist, and I met a baptist girl recently who we share a lot of similar interests so I hope we can be friends. I think any break-off of friendships due to theological disagreements is wrong. Whether someone believes in trinity or not, whether they believe in polygamy or not. My sister says that she would be friends with anyone who isn't determined to commit and promote the sins God destroyed nations for, and I think that's a safe bet. Joseph Smith allowed preachers from other denominations to preach at his pulpit and welcomed them.
Just to add my two cents and not to argue, I love Joseph Smith on my own testimony so my being LDS won't change, but I know not everything I grew up with learning and my traditions is true so once again I like to hear what people say and am open to the fact that not everything I think I know is correct.
I don't know much about FLDS people, I tried to meet some, but I know there are a lot of crazy people who are cruel to them so they are very cautious, but because of that I can't say I know too much about what they actually believe. From what I can tell though, I don't agree with a lot of their doctrines or the way most of them live polygamy. But I would still like to be friends with them
Personally I believe polygamy itself (Why does everyone here say polygyny? What's the reason? I never heard that term till this site) is much more natural than monogamy. I know traditionally we grew up with monogamy so that is what everyone is comfortable with, but polygamy opens up a lot more things. And just because I believe that does not mean I look down on anyone who doesn't. And I definitely don't look down on people who have only one wife. Why would I? I just think it's a principle that if lived perfectly would be much nicer than a normal monogamous relationship, but as we are not perfect and are fighting our own traditions I think it is probably pretty hard and a lot of work but worth it
As for things polygamy opens to girls is the chance for closer friendships and ties. Pretty much every girl I know has a tendency to fan over boys. When we are younger in school the girls love to pick a boy that they all like and talk about how manly and handsome he is, or how funny and "Oh my gosh he said 'Hi!' to me today!" Then as you get older you are afraid because you can't all marry the same man so jealousies ensue and girls are forced to pick different guys than their friends to like and pursue. So I want to marry a man with another wife who I can giggle over, talk about how handsome he is and talk about our different romance stories with him, because love is love. And if you marry a man who you love and who loves you you are going to have a story about it. Jealousies do happen as we are not perfect but you know that's never going to change whether you're in a polygamous relationship or not. I don't think there's a married woman I know, and I personally only know monogamous women, who doesn't complain over some jealousy or another.
Another polygamy helps with is the physical differences between men and women. I grew up hearing women complain about men's sex drive. Men from what I can tell and have heard have a much greater drive. They don't need a break every month, and they don't get pregnant, so from what I can tell, a relationship with one many and a few wives is beneficial for both genders.
I'm sure there are more reasons and maybe one day when I get married I'll make a list for you all. I know I know, I am not in a polygamous relationship nor do I personally know anyone who is, so my opinions are not perfect but I don't think being in a relationship leaves you with a perfect knowledge either.
Frankly I think any complaints about polygamy lie with people not being perfect and not the basic principle itself.
A lot of what you said here can be found in the book "The History aand Philosophy of Marriage" by James Campbell. Most of us are familiar with the book.

Thank you again! I had heard about polyandry and polyamory so I just thought that polygamy only meant the one husband and multiple wives.
You get more options the longer you’re here and the more you post.

You open to giving feedback on homeschool curriculum and so forth? I figure you likely know a bit about it under the circumstances.
My wife and I are homeschooling our son and always interested in learning more from others with experience
Yeah, my mom knows way more about it than I do, but I can do what I can and my mom should be very willing to help

Back