• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Submit

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharonr

Hey, Im writing this post because Women are suppose to submit to their husbands as unto the Lord. This scripture has came up,in Acts. The women and man were codemmed for their sin and death came upon them both. Didn't Adam and Eve both get condemmed for their sin as well. I have meditated and asked my husbands questions about a women submitting even if he told her to jump off a cliff. Well, Abraham was about to give his son up and kill him as a sacrifice. He obeyed to that extent to God, and God gave him a way out. It was a test. Well arent't we as women suppose to submit to our husbands as unto the Lord? (Just the same)
It's the same aspect. Now if your husband is a man of God, you are to follow him regardless, of your oppions it should be fully in your heart to obey him, and it will make a huge differnece than just doing it because he says so. If we love God we will keep his commmandments. If we love our husbands we will obey his rules. Let the wife see that she submit to her husband in EVERYTHING. Now if you have a man who is not a man of God, I'm sure God will not put you in such a situation. I have never heard of this before. Now concerning Acts in Chapter 5, her husband and her both faced a consequence. What I have come to know, or what God has showed me is, If my husband fail, I fail, we are in this together. If I fail he can fail, so this means I should be a very prayerful women, and ask God to lead my husband in the right direction. Not like I know, because that's prideful I don't know everything and I dont know nothing until my husband tells me what is sin and what is not, I should not have my own thoughts concerning what is sin and what is not,; that can turn into judgements or just plain self righteouness. 1 cor 8 if anyone thinks that he knows anything, he knows nothing yet as he ought to know. If Jesus went up on the cross for a living sacrifice what if we were to judge that being his wife and told him that he shouldn't b/c that's like a type of killing yourself. What if we were Jesus' wife what would you think say or do, really put yourself in that situation. Would you judge him, or fear that he was doing the wrong thing. That's not total submission unto him, that's not totally following Him. So no matter what!

If your husband tells you to sin you dont have to obey!!!????That's garbage, I know if your prideful or think your the leader or head, you may think this thought, or maybe your still trying to figure that QUOTE out. Honestly I never remember my husband telling me to sin, because I just follow. I have to do this because the bible says so, or else there is war. How can two walk if they dont agree. Mark 3:25 A house dived against itself will not stand. So my advise from the Lord to all the women be very prayerful, not like as though you dont trust your husband, or your fearful he's makning the wrong descision, but just always praying that God lead him in the right direction. Thanks to Sweet Lisa, who God does adequately speakthrough I have read a few of your post and learned alot, and God has watered me and givien me revlations from my husband that I speak forth. All glory go tho the Holy spirit we all in this together.
Love you all and Amen

Okay there is this article that talks about submission and obedience in great detail, and has brought lots of understanding, I think some of you ladies out there can benefit from this article. It does go into detail about the scripture in Acts 5:1-11 which I think many people use to confuse obedience and submission unto husbands no matter the case, controversial but I believe God wants us women to get out of the lies the enemy wants us to believe. I don't care what anybody thinks, I know what God is exposing is truth, we don't need truth mixed with lies.

Check out article, some of it may be a little confusing, but most of it is on point, Its hard to be in total agreement with everything someone says, but it hit some areas that are important http://www.reason4living.com/articles/totw0041.htm

Sharonr,
I also agree that we are to submit, but not if our husband asks us to go against God's word.
Act 5:1 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,
Act 5:2 And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.
Act 5:3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?
Act 5:4 Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.
Act 5:5 And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.
Act 5:6 And the young men arose, wound him up, and carried him out, and buried him.
Act 5:7 And it was about the space of three hours after, when his wife, not knowing what was done, came in.
Act 5:8 And Peter answered unto her, Tell me whether ye sold the land for so much? And she said, Yea, for so much.
Act 5:9 Then Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry thee out.
Act 5:10 Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband.

This passage in Acts 5 makes it clear that no matter what our husband says, we are accountable to God for our actions. So if your husband asks you to sin (Lie, cheat, steal or any other sin) this is the only time it is permissible to refuse to submit to him.

SweetLissa

Being the idiot I am, I did not first recognize I was posting in 'Ladies Only.' I apologize profusely and hope you ladies will forgive me. I've deleted my previous post.

We are to obey our husbands and submit willingly to them as unto the Lord (Eph 5:22). If our husbands expect us to do something that is in direct disobedience to God's Word (not unto the Lord), we are required to obey God rather than man. I know that there are women who will use this concept as a "get out of jail free" card, and will look for any way they can to be released from their husband's authority, but those women obviously don't desire to be truly submissive.

If a woman desires to be truly submissive to her husband, she will be able to respectfully and submissively refuse to sin against God.

I went into prayer a couple days ago, and asked God to give me more information, about Acts 5, I feel it is an important scripture, that I hear being used to contradict a women obedience to her husband, saying a women shouldn't obey her husband if he tells her to sin, well guess what, God answered my prayer the next day, you will even see in your own bible, the passage with an enlightened truth. I told my husband about my experience I had when coming across this article, which God led me to.

My husband can break this down very well, I just talked to him about it again, he will be the right person to talk to about this.

From article online ;further down it talks about Acts
reason for living
Submission of Christian wives to their husbands.
For Christians
What is submission?
R4L logo

Trying to wriggle out of the obligation to obey

It has been claimed that a wife need only obey her husband when her husband's will conforms to the will of God and that is right for a wife to disobey her husband when what he commands is wrong. At first sight this argument seems to be very reasonable but unfortunately it leads into chaos and emptiness and also leaves the wives in a very cruel “no-win” situation. It is true that all husbands are fallen and sinful and it follows that they will make mistakes and that they might desire and command what they ought not desire and command. It is also true, but more frequently overlooked, that all wives are fallen and sinful and it follows that they will make mistakes and that they might desire what they ought not desire. God knew both of these facts when he arranged for scripture to be written and yet he still gave wives the instruction to submit to their husbands. He knew that husbands would wield the authority that he gave them imperfectly and he knew that wives would respond to that authority imperfectly. It is a terrible wrong for husbands to abuse their authority but it is no less terribly wrong for wives to reject or usurp their husband's authority.

Some of the people who claim that wives have the right to selectively submit to their husbands have put much emphasis on three New Testament passages - Acts 5:1-10, Acts 4:19 (and a similar passage in Acts 5:29) and Ephesians 5:21. It is worth looking at these to see what they add to the debate.

A passage to consider: Acts 5, v1-10

The first passage concerns Ananias and his wife Sapphira who sold a field, brought the money to the Apostles feet and were promptly struck dead. It has been said that this proves that a wife who does something sinful because her husband commanded it, will be punished by God and that therefore it is right for a wife to obey her husband only when she thinks his will is in accordance with God's will. The fact that anyone can draw such a conclusion from this passage reveals only how desperate they are to avoid having to admit that wives must obey their husbands. Even a simple reading of the passage will show quite clearly that Ananias and Sapphira were in the deceit together. There is nothing at all in the passage to suggest that Sapphira was ordered to do something that she thought wrong; indeed there is nothing to suggest that she was ordered at all. Verse 2 reads as follows:

“But with his wife's agreement he kept part of the money for himself ...” Verse 2 as presented in the Good News Bible.

“And with his wife's knowledge and connivance he kept back and wrongfully appropriated some of the proceeds ...” Verse 2 as presented in the Amplified Bible

It is very clear, then, that Sapphira was not forced by her errant husband to do something that she did not wish to do; she was not obeying an order that she thought wrong but rather she was aiding and abetting a plan of which she approved. We cannot conclude from the story that Sapphira was an innocent and unwilling partner in wrongdoing and, consequently, this passage is irrelevant to the present discussion.

A second passage to consider: Acts 4 verse 19

This passage concerns the instructions given by the Sanhedrin to Peter and John, and the reply, repeated below, that was given by the disciples:

Acts 5:29 But Peter and the other apostles answered and said: “We ought to obey God rather than men. (NKJV)

Let us first state an obvious but important point: This is not a conflict between a husband and a wife but between two groups of male Jews. The relationship between the parties is therefore very different to that between a husband and a wife [footnote 1]. We also need to ask whether the Sanhedrin had any authority over Peter and John. Both parties were claiming to represent God — but which of them had the better claim? The two disciples had received their commission personally and physically from the mouth of Jesus himself. Jesus came to set aside the old religious order and to establish a new one in which the role of the Sanhedrin (assuming it had ever had any role in God's sight) was to be diminished. This by itself gives strong reason for believing that the Sanhedrin did not have any authority over Peter and John however the words that the disciples used are perhaps more significant; they did not simply refuse to obey the Sanhedrin (though they implied that they were going to) rather they threw the whole command back at the Sanhedrin by telling the Sanhedrin members “judge for yourselves” and thereby questioned the Sanhedrin's authority to issue the order at all. Implicit in the disciples' response is the notion that the Sanhedrin knew, or at least ought to have known, that it was acting beyond its powers. In a modern setting the disciples might have said “If you stop and think for one moment you will realize that your own laws and rules prohibit you from giving this order.”

Also it is worth remembering that when this conversation took place Jerusalem was within the Roman empire; the final authority was not the Sanhedrin but the Roman governor and the Romans did allow a certain amount of religious freedom.

For the reasons given above this passage does not give any support to the notion that wives should only selectively obey their husbands.

The specific detail is outlined in blue in article.
Acts 5 vs 1 says: And he kept back part of the proceeds , HIS WIFE ALSO BEING AWARE OF IT, and brought , a certain part and laid it at the apostles feet
Acts 5 vs 9Then Peter said to her, " How is it that you HAVE AGREED TOGETHER to test the spirit of the LORD.
The passage I was reading says she was NOT ORDERED TO DO SOMETHING, that she thought wrong, she was not ordered at all. (If my husband tells me to sin, doesn't seem to exist like you been told me, confirmed.) New King James

After reading the article, I read the scriptures and now I see.

Thanks Oreslag, I walso read about Sara and Abrahma in old testament, it will be nice to share with you about those scriptures as well. Thanks for bringing it up Oreslag, thanks for commenting.

I will consider what Oreslag presented, (and will discuss with my hubby) but I want to clarify something. There is a vast difference between a woman believing that her husband is not doing God's will and direct sin. God says that liars will go to hell. Sin is very clear. So I have a choice not to sin but if I believe my husband is not going the way God would have him go but no direct sin is involved, I should still follow him. I do not use this as a "get out of jail free card". I follow my husband wherever he leads, but he knows if we sin I will not follow. I don't want to get to the end of my life and have God tell me that following my husband over the cliff of sin was okay.

SweetLissa

Being the idiot I am, I did not first recognize I was posting in 'Ladies Only.' I apologize profusely and hope you ladies will forgive me. I've deleted my previous post and added this one simply so that all of you will know I recognize my fault.

Is it possible for you to repost that. It had good information in it and I want to do some more research on the issue. Or you could send it to me via pm.

Thanks
SweetLissa

Oreslag, thanks for posting, I hope you continue to respond this post, with my permission, please continue to post.

Unless it is in the "private members" section I actually never notice that it is in the ladies only group. It does not seem super sensitive to women and since the original poster does not seem to mind you posting Oreslag I would say go for it and keep posting until someone other than yourself notices and jumps up and down with an objection!

This is an interesting topic to me. It is something that over the last year and especially the last month I have been dealing with on a very personal level.

When I was on my own and single, my relationship with God was a lot closer than it is now. It took me a while to figure out that things had changed and then you start to try and work out why. Is it because my life is easier now, so I rely less on God? Is it because I got so focused on the move and the changes and everything new going on that I took my eye off the main goal? I kind of feel, but I am not sure, that there is an extra “layer” between me and God (my husband is now my head), Is it because my brain is still processing the differences between what I believed and what he is teaching and that is messing with my core? I am not sure. I still have not quite figured it out.

I look forward to seeing where this thread takes us :)

Forum moderaters move this post to marriage issues. I believe many men out there know everything about this, so post away.

Eternitee, whatever you do just stand with your husband, and only go as far as he take you. Be in one mind with your husband, and dont let another person bring division between you and your husband, remember he is the head and leader, Oreslag post said something wonderful but sadly it was deleted. I been through lots of family, telling me one thing, husband telling me something else, or a previous pastor from before our marriage telling me stuff that my hsuband didnt stand on, so you know the list goes on, but through it all I chose to stand with my husband, because God's word says to.Thats why I choose to only listen to him, other people may confirm what he says, but I let people know what I stand on, so confusion wont occur. Regardless stand with your husband, and his doctrine. Trust in God, to lead your husband to truth.

Our husbands are held responsible for us, if they lead us in to sin, they will be held accountable, not us Sweet Lisa. So we are to follow.

I hope that is comforting to you Sharonr. I personally am accountable for anything I do.

SweetLissa

So thats where we diagree at, sweet Lisa your absolutely right that your held responsible for yourself, but if your husband was to lead you a way that was wrong, according to God's eyes you will not be held liable for that, becuase your husband is the head, you are not your own head,, dont God use that man to instruct you, so why wouldnt he be held responsible if he was to lead you all in the wrong direction. Look at Lots wife, she looked back instead of following her husband, and turned into a pillar of salt, she did not fully trust God or her husband, she kept looking back. She questioned many things, what if, what about, ect. Like us women do at times when our husband and God just want us to follow.

And why do you say I hope that is comforting to me, sweet lisa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back