• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Summer 2022 family retreat - Knoxville area, Aug 18-21st - details are ready!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathan

Administrator
Staff member
Real Person
Male
Hey guys, so our summer retreat is a go, but we have a dilemma and we need your help early.

We are returning to the great Tennessee location (45 min east of Knoxville) we used in 2012, 2014, and 2017. They know us and they are OK with us, and that's hard to beat. The dates are Thursday Aug 4th to Sunday Aug 7th. (3 nights, we are hoping people can get away for Thursday and Friday). We will be doing most meals at the retreat and charging break-even prices. Those of you who remember these retreats, remember what a great time it was, with outdoor activities, and non-stop fellowship. Maybe a surprise or two this year.

So here's the dilemma: They have 2 buildings, one has 16 hotel rooms (some 2 queens, some 2 doubles), and a meeting room and small kitchen, and the other has 8 bunkbed rooms that sleep 6 each - that building also has the better kitchen and meeting space. But they charge a flat rate for each building per-night (then we charge you per-room), prices are up, and we are not sure we have enough people coming to justify both buildings, which would give us a much better setup, and a separate room for kids. We really need at least 80% of each building to be filled. Prices TBD, but you can expect the hotel rooms to be less than $100/night, and bunk-rooms to be a little over.

So... I know it's early to plan, but can you either drop @julieb or @nathan a DM, or feel free to response here if you like, and let us know how likely it is you are coming, which one of those types of rooms would best suit you (this is not a reservation). And if you are likely to be able to make Thursday night as well. We will be getting started in the afternoon on Thursday, and wrap up with breakfast on Sunday morning - we have to be out by noon that weekend.
We won't hold you to it, we just need to gauge interest to make this building decision.

Thanks!, Nathan

Did you know all our retreats from the past are listed online? https://www.biblicalfamilies.org/events/retreats
So I've kinda slacked at putting info with each one. We used to take group pictures even! I should at least link each retreat thread from the forum to this page.

Kristin and I will be there, Thursday through Sunday.

Reservation details sent separately.

;)

I want to come and bring the family but will have to see how things go. Prayerfully proceeding ponderously in this process. 2 adults and 3 kids 11-7 yrs.

I want to come and bring the family but will have to see how things go. Prayerfully proceeding ponderously in this process. 2 adults and 3 kids 11-7 yrs.
The bunk room would be perfect for you, then.

We will most likely be represented.
Best guess; more than one, less than six.

Just shared this with five families in our livingroom (post Shabbat chillaxing) and there is great interest. Some should get back individually. My family will be there at this point. Can pay in advance.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies and DMs, I think we have enough interest to risk going forward with both buildings, though it's a faith leap.

However, on the phone with the guy just now, he threw me an interesting curve: he would give us the same 2 buildings 2 weeks later (so Aug 18th to 21st) for a nice discount, which would let us offer the rooms for at least $10/night less then we would on Aug 4-7th.
I know this gets into the school year for some, but since many here home-school is that much of an issue? I personally kind of like that it's past 'peak summer' tourist season, days are still long, but weather might be a hair nicer.

So... Please reply or DM @nathan or @julieb again, and let us know if Aug 18th-21st would make you more likely or less likely to be able to attend. (Or if it doesn't matter at all.). I told him we'd give him a final answer by Monday.

Thanks!

Last edited:
We are available either weekend, so count on two for either option.

Later weekend is better for us.

Andrew Amelang says it works better for them. Can't guarantee anything, but later weekend is better for them.

Prefer later as early Aug is busiest time of year at work.

I've kind of avoided this thread because it doesn't look likely for us. Glad I popped in for some laughs. I postponed putting the yearling ewes with the ram....in case, because milking is the hardest chore to get covered. It is still just a long drive, a lot of time away for home loving folk like us, and work is usually going full speed that time of year.
Sure glad we have been able to meet so many already.
Someday this world is gonna change again, and for the better! Doon with the bloody beg- 'ed!
For now life is blessed and busy here.

One of our crew will be saying "I will" (I do) next Saturday. The first. :)

Gold flecked paint? Sounds like someone might get a gig at some kind of event. Prolly aught ta keep yer day job tho. Lol ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back