• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Summer 2022 Family Retreat recap and post-retreat discussion

I think Zek oversold this idea. If our idea of marriage is what the scripture says, then yes marriage does exist. H2859 - ḥāṯan can mean coming under law with or marrying depending on what english we want to use. Ezra 9:14 is an easy example. Also this word Gamos is all over the NT and the included verb form gameos too. Just make sure your idea of marriage meets the scripture. We also know there was a wedding in Cana where water was turned to wine.

I realize this isnt a marriage thread but hey why not!

G1062 - gamos

G1062​

G1063 ››
‹‹ G1061
γάμος
Transliteration: gamos
speaker3.svg
Pronunciation: gam'-os
Part of Speech: masculine noun
Root Word (Etymology): Of uncertain affinity
TDNT Reference: 1:648,111
Outline of Biblical Usage:
  1. a wedding or marriage festival, a wedding banquet, a wedding feast
  2. marriage, matrimony
KJV Translation Count: 16x
The KJV translates Strongs G1062 in the following manner: marriage (9x), wedding (7x).
Strong's Definitions: γάμος gámos, gam'-os; of uncertain affinity; nuptials:—marriage, wedding.

Thayer's Greek Lexicon​

[Jump to Scripture Index]
γάμος, -ου, ὁ, [probably from the root, gam, to bind, unite; Curtius, p. 546f], as in Greek writings from Homer down;
1. a wedding or marriage-festival: John 2:1; Revelation 19:7 (under the figure of a marriage here is represented the intimate and everlasting union of Christ, at his return from heaven, with his church); τὸ δεῖπνον τοῦ γάμου, Revelation 19:9 (a symbol of the future blessings of the Messiah's kingdom); especially a wedding-banquet, a marriage-feast: Matthew 22:8, 10 [here T WH Tr marginal reading νυμφών], Matthew 22:11, 12; plural (referring apparently to the several acts of feasting), Matthew 22:2ff, Matthew 22:9; Matthew 25:10; Luke 12:36; Luke 14:8 (cf. Winers Grammar, § 27, 3; Buttmann, 23 (21)).
2. marriage, matrimony: Hebrews 13:4.
THAYER’S GREEK LEXICON, Electronic Database.
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights reserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com

BLB Scripture Index of Thayer's​

Matthew22:2; 22:8; 22:9; 22:10; 22:11; 22:12; 25:10Luke12:36; 14:8John2:1Hebrews13:4Revelation19:7; 19:9
Tap to view the entire entry

Concordance Results Shown Using the YLT​

Strong's Number G1062 matches the Greek γάμος (gamos),
which occurs 16 times in 16 verses in the TR Greek.
Click here to view results using the LXX Greek concordance
Click here to view results using the mGNT Greek concordance
Mat 22:2
'The reign of the heavens was likened to a man, a king, who made marriage-feasts for his son,
Mat 22:3
and he sent forth his servants to call those having been called to the marriage-feasts, and they were not willing to come.
Mat 22:4
'Again he sent forth other servants, saying, Say to those who have been called: Lo, my dinner I prepared, my oxen and the fatlings have been killed, and all things are ready, come ye to the marriage-feasts;
Mat 22:8
then saith he to his servants, The marriage-feast indeed is ready, and those called were not worthy,
Mat 22:9
be going, then, on to the cross-ways, and as many as ye may find, call ye to the marriage-feasts.
Mat 22:10
'And those servants, having gone forth to the ways, did gather all, as many as they found, both bad and good, and the marriage-feast apartment was filled with those reclining.
Mat 22:11
'And the king having come in to view those reclining, saw there a man not clothed with clothing of the marriage-feast,
Mat 22:12
and he saith to him, Comrade, how didst thou come in hither, not having clothing of the marriage-feast? and he was speechless.
Mat 25:10
'And while they are going away to buy, the bridegroom came, and those ready went in with him to the marriage-feasts, and the door was shut;
Luk 12:36
and ye like to men waiting for their lord, when he shall return out of the wedding feasts, that he having come and knocked, immediately they may open to him.
Luk 14:8
'When thou mayest be called by any one to marriage-feasts, thou mayest not recline on the first couch, lest a more honourable than thou may have been called by him,
Jhn 2:1
And the third day a marriage happened in Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there,
Jhn 2:2
and also Jesus was called, and his disciples, to the marriage;
Heb 13:4
honourable is the marriage in all, and the bed undefiled, and whoremongers and adulterers God shall judge.
Rev 19:7
may we rejoice and exult, and give the glory to Him, because come did the marriage of the Lamb, and his wife did make herself ready;
Rev 19:9
And he saith to me, 'Write: Happy are they who to the supper of the marriage of the Lamb have been called;' and he saith to me, 'These are the true words of God;'
All interesting examples but did you notice that these are all things around a “marriage”, not actually marriage itself. A relationship between a man and woman is never described as a “marriage.” Certainly not in any of the texts explicitly dealing with the topic.

The broader point here, and it’s one I haven’t revisited in a while and I most certainly have a propensity to make things up in my head so I reserve the right to be wrong, is that what we call marriage and many of the ideas and traditions we’ve built up around it, aren’t actually found in scripture. A complete reimagining is required.

All interesting examples but did you notice that these are all things around a “marriage”, not actually marriage itself. A relationship between a man and woman is never described as a “marriage.” Certainly not in any of the texts explicitly dealing with the topic.

The broader point here, and it’s one I haven’t revisited in a while and I most certainly have a propensity to make things up in my head so I reserve the right to be wrong, is that what we call marriage and many of the ideas and traditions we’ve built up around it, aren’t actually found in scripture. A complete reimagining is required.
Absolutely!

Because we see make homosexuality condemned so strongly in scripture.
Maybe I'm just misunderstanding something. I often see people on this site speak about how marriage is a man-made institution created by our government to control our lives etc. But that's the exact marriage that gay people want the right to enter into. If so many people on here have an issue with legal marriage to begin then why do they care if gay people get legally married. According to their own logic legal marriage is trash to begin with.

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding something. I often see people on this site speak about how marriage is a man-made institution created by our government to control our lives etc. But that's the exact marriage that gay people want the right to enter into. If so many people on here have an issue with legal marriage to begin then why do they care if gay people get legally married. According to their own logic legal marriage is trash to begin with.
Because the people here care about a society degrading into absolute sinful disease and disgusting filth. Why should anybody care about murders and adultery occurring? Because we care about sin being practiced. I'm confused as to why this is hard to understand.

Marriage licenses are a man made form of control of something that is between a man and a woman alone.

Why do you care if people beat their dogs to death?

The governments have gotten involved in marriage only in the last hundred or so years. Before most were notated in the family Bible and these records were held acceptable in courts. The governments involvement gave them the ability to control the population and prevent cross race and socioeconomic levels to name a few as well as generate revenue as usual. The government has no place in the marriage relationship. This also gave them the ability to track parentage and institute birth certificates.

Because the people here care about a society degrading into absolute sinful disease and disgusting filth. Why should anybody care about murders and adultery occurring? Because we care about sin being practiced. I'm confused as to why this is hard to understand.

Marriage licenses are a man made form of control of something that is between a man and a woman alone.

Why do you care if people beat their dogs to death?
Because the people here care about a society degrading into absolute sinful disease and disgusting filth.
I considered this as well but wasn't sure if that was the motive behind their issue with it. That's why I asked instead of assuming.
Why should anybody care about murders and adultery occurring? Because we care about sin being practiced. I'm confused as to why this is hard to understand.
I didn't understand how gay marriage was anymore of a sin that just being gay is. If according the logic of people on here, it's just a piece of paper and another way for the government to control us. Then a gay person having that piece of paper doesn't change much one way or the other. How do you insult legal marriage while telling someone else they can't have it. I just thought it was a bit confusing to protect something so deeply that you openly despise.

I could be wrong, that's just my opinion and that's why i'm asking a question.

The governments have gotten involved in marriage only in the last hundred or so years. Before most were notated in the family Bible and these records were held acceptable in courts. The governments involvement gave them the ability to control the population and prevent cross race and socioeconomic levels to name a few as well as generate revenue as usual. The government has no place in the marriage relationship. This also gave them the ability to track parentage and institute birth certificates.
I didn't realize that, thank you. However marriage is what it is now, as of now it's legal and involves the government. People on here openly despise and speak badly of it. This confused me because why care if gay people enter into something that you don't think should exist to begin with (legal marriage).

When Samuel and I got married we signed a contract with the govt to do so. We signed a statement that we believed was what marriage meant. Then along the way they changed the definition of what marriage means and allowed gay marriage. So now, we are in a contract with the govt that we don't agree with, that they were able to change, and we weren't. And we can't get out of it, because the only way to break it is to actually live separately for 2 years (not that we want to divorce each other, just get out of our contract with the govt).
That's where I have an issue, where they are redefining something that I'm already in.

When Samuel and I got married we signed a contract with the govt to do so. We signed a statement that we believed was what marriage meant. Then along the way they changed the definition of what marriage means and allowed gay marriage. So now, we are in a contract with the govt that we don't agree with, that they were able to change, and we weren't. And we can't get out of it, because the only way to break it is to actually live separately for 2 years (not that we want to divorce each other, just get out of our contract with the govt).
That's where I have an issue, where they are redefining something that I'm already in.
I didn't realize that or think of it that way, I had no idea. Thank you.

I think Zek oversold this idea. If our idea of marriage is what the scripture says, then yes marriage does exist. H2859 - ḥāṯan can mean coming under law with or marrying depending on what english we want to use. Ezra 9:14 is an easy example. Also this word Gamos is all over the NT and the included verb form gameos too. Just make sure your idea of marriage meets the scripture. We also know there was a wedding in Cana where water was turned to wine.

I realize this isnt a marriage thread but hey why not!

G1062 - gamos

G1062​

G1063 ››
‹‹ G1061
γάμος
Transliteration:gamos
speaker3.svg
Pronunciation: gam'-os
Part of Speech: masculine noun
Root Word (Etymology): Of uncertain affinity
TDNT Reference: 1:648,111
Outline of Biblical Usage:
  1. a wedding or marriage festival, a wedding banquet, a wedding feast
  2. marriage, matrimony
KJV Translation Count: 16x
The KJV translates Strongs G1062 in the following manner: marriage (9x), wedding (7x).
Strong's Definitions: γάμος gámos, gam'-os; of uncertain affinity; nuptials:—marriage, wedding.

Thayer's Greek Lexicon​

[Jump to Scripture Index]
γάμος, -ου, ὁ, [probably from the root, gam, to bind, unite; Curtius, p. 546f], as in Greek writings from Homer down;
1. a wedding or marriage-festival: John 2:1; Revelation 19:7 (under the figure of a marriage here is represented the intimate and everlasting union of Christ, at his return from heaven, with his church); τὸ δεῖπνον τοῦ γάμου, Revelation 19:9 (a symbol of the future blessings of the Messiah's kingdom); especially a wedding-banquet, a marriage-feast: Matthew 22:8, 10 [here T WH Tr marginal reading νυμφών], Matthew 22:11, 12; plural (referring apparently to the several acts of feasting), Matthew 22:2ff, Matthew 22:9; Matthew 25:10; Luke 12:36; Luke 14:8 (cf. Winers Grammar, § 27, 3; Buttmann, 23 (21)).
2. marriage, matrimony: Hebrews 13:4.
THAYER’S GREEK LEXICON, Electronic Database.
Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006, 2011 by Biblesoft, Inc.
All rights reserved. Used by permission. BibleSoft.com

BLB Scripture Index of Thayer's​

Matthew22:2; 22:8; 22:9; 22:10; 22:11; 22:12; 25:10Luke12:36; 14:8John2:1Hebrews13:4Revelation19:7; 19:9
Tap to view the entire entry

Concordance Results Shown Using the YLT​

Strong's Number G1062 matches the Greek γάμος (gamos),
which occurs 16 times in 16 verses in the TR Greek.
Click here to view results using the LXX Greek concordance
Click here to view results using the mGNT Greek concordance
Mat 22:2
'The reign of the heavens was likened to a man, a king, who made marriage-feasts for his son,
Mat 22:3
and he sent forth his servants to call those having been called to the marriage-feasts, and they were not willing to come.
Mat 22:4
'Again he sent forth other servants, saying, Say to those who have been called: Lo, my dinner I prepared, my oxen and the fatlings have been killed, and all things are ready, come ye to the marriage-feasts;
Mat 22:8
then saith he to his servants, The marriage-feast indeed is ready, and those called were not worthy,
Mat 22:9
be going, then, on to the cross-ways, and as many as ye may find, call ye to the marriage-feasts.
Mat 22:10
'And those servants, having gone forth to the ways, did gather all, as many as they found, both bad and good, and the marriage-feast apartment was filled with those reclining.
Mat 22:11
'And the king having come in to view those reclining, saw there a man not clothed with clothing of the marriage-feast,
Mat 22:12
and he saith to him, Comrade, how didst thou come in hither, not having clothing of the marriage-feast? and he was speechless.
Mat 25:10
'And while they are going away to buy, the bridegroom came, and those ready went in with him to the marriage-feasts, and the door was shut;
Luk 12:36
and ye like to men waiting for their lord, when he shall return out of the wedding feasts, that he having come and knocked, immediately they may open to him.
Luk 14:8
'When thou mayest be called by any one to marriage-feasts, thou mayest not recline on the first couch, lest a more honourable than thou may have been called by him,
Jhn 2:1
And the third day a marriage happened in Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there,
Jhn 2:2
and also Jesus was called, and his disciples, to the marriage;
Heb 13:4
honourable is the marriage in all, and the bed undefiled, and whoremongers and adulterers God shall judge.
Rev 19:7
may we rejoice and exult, and give the glory to Him, because come did the marriage of the Lamb, and his wife did make herself ready;
Rev 19:9
And he saith to me, 'Write: Happy are they who to the supper of the marriage of the Lamb have been called;' and he saith to me, 'These are the true words of God;'
I think Zek oversold this idea. If our idea of marriage is what the scripture says, then yes marriage does exist.
When he said marriage wasn't in the Bible, I just assumed that the word marriage wasn't mentioned, not that something similar to marriage it's present in the Bible. This made me think about how marriage has now become a legal/government dictated contract which most on here are in agreeance isn't a good idea. Well if it's not a good idea and not something you support to begin with then why fight to prevent gays from doing it. Just something that peeked my interest lol

Thank you once again for the scripture, I always appreciate it.

So how come NickF has a real person tag and we don't? Lol that seems like favoritism..just saying.. 😜
The request has already been entered.

Can I say this? I hope no one minds [I toned it down a little]. I watched half the video and thought, "Geesh. Looks like some men spend way too much time in front of the mirror." My dad introduced me to the term, "Metrosexual", a few years ago. Big eye roll. That's what this beard style video reminds me of. Gag. Sorry, brothers, if this is you; I'm not trying to be offensive.
I agree that the hair styles were 'metrosexual'. I just found the different styles and face shape matching to be interesting. Had no idea about the names, etc... if you had asked me, I'd have come up w goatee, mutton chop, Amish, and mountain man.

Per therevoltingman's video we all fall somewhere between lumberjack and mountain man....

Because we don’t want to see men in homosexual relationships at all. Plus many of us want the government out of “marriage” all together.

I would like to take exception with the idea that anyone here thinks marriage is trash. Many of us think the modern idea of marriage is flawed and not scripturally based but that’s not trash.

@windblown and I were legally married in front of a preacher long after my views on the subject were well formed. There was a utility to it for us. It’s not trash, it’s just not biblical.

Because we don’t want to see men in homosexual relationships at all. Plus many of us want the government out of “marriage” all together.

I would like to take exception with the idea that anyone here thinks marriage is trash. Many of us think the modern idea of marriage is flawed and not scripturally based but that’s not trash.

@windblown and I were legally married in front of a preacher long after my views on the subject were well formed. There was a utility to it for us. It’s not trash, it’s just not biblical.
But marriage these days is literally governmental/legally binding and many on here have expressed their distain for legal marriage. This is the same marriage that gay people want the right to have. If it's flawed, not scripturally based, the government has no place in it etc. then why protect it so adamantly against gays? Why not just focus their attention on homosexual relationships not existing at all. A gay couple's ability to not be able to legally marry won't eliminate homosexual relationships.

I'm not asking all of this to be a smartass, I just think it's a little odd.

I think "trash" was a bit of an over-kill lol sorry about that.

Can I say this? I hope no one minds [I toned it down a little]. I watched half the video and thought, "Geesh. Looks like some men spend way too much time in front of the mirror." My dad introduced me to the term, "Metrosexual", a few years ago. Big eye roll. That's what this beard style video reminds me of. Gag. Sorry, brothers, if this is you; I'm not trying to be offensive.
Beards?

Back