• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Summer BF get-together - this is happening

Shabbat is sunset to sunset, though, so you have to meet with people prior to sunset on Friday, and then you could meet with people after sunset on Saturday, right? Or are there more than one shabbats that week? (Please forgive me for not keeping up with that, but I'm not a TK.)
On my fellowship's calendar, we have a high Shabbat (Shavuot/Pentecost) the day after this Shabbat. So yes, 2 Shabbats in a row that weekend. Would be better for me to do a different weekend. This particular weekend is just bad for my religious calendar.

On my fellowship's calendar, we have a high Shabbat (Shavuot/Pentecost) the day after this Shabbat. So yes, 2 Shabbats in a row that weekend. Would be better for me to do a different weekend. This particular weekend is just bad for my religious calendar.
And I highly respect that, so you're really boxed out almost entirely, because, as I realize you've already said, you could just sneak in a little sliver of time with us prior to sunset on the weekly shabbat. I assert that it will be worthwhile to do that, though, because @nathan generally gets the big circle going right at the beginning, and you can both share your story and hear some of the stories and updates of others in that -- and people will be very glad you were there even if you have to take off.

Also, my wife and I are arriving the previous evening, so we'll be available during the day to meet you and Emily and anyone else from your family you bring with you.

A lot of people will drift in early. Some earlier than others.
Depending on how things work out, I want to be early and would enjoy meeting you.

We will be there immediately after work Friday.

I can't step into a hotel on a sabbath or high sabbath.
@Philip, I completely understand you doing what you feel God would wish you to do. However, I can't understand why you'd think that God would forbid you from stepping into a hotel on sabbath. Given that it is this one point that seems to be holding you up from attending, would you mind elaborating why you believe this to be the case? Personally, this sounds like following an additional tradition of man, not scripture, as I can't see that in scripture. I believe this retreat would be highly beneficial for you and I'd hate to see you avoid meeting with God's people just because of strict obedience to a human-created rule. Remember, Yeshua is Lord of the Sabbath, and frequently underscored that point by doing things on Sabbath that broke the religious traditions of the day, but did not break God's true laws and were in keeping with His nature.

I am not trying to start a debate, you do what you feel God is calling you to do - but I'd encourage you to rethink whether He really is calling you to observe this particularly unusual rule, that seems to be getting between you and fellowship with His people.

I hope everyone has a wonderful time. I'm sorry to not be able to make it, but I live too far away. Sounds like a great event.
They are. We did a couple hotel retreats. Then went in 2019 as a family. Great time, great people. We just have too much going this year to pull off short notice.

@Philip, I completely understand you doing what you feel God would wish you to do. However, I can't understand why you'd think that God would forbid you from stepping into a hotel on sabbath. Given that it is this one point that seems to be holding you up from attending, would you mind elaborating why you believe this to be the case? Personally, this sounds like following an additional tradition of man, not scripture, as I can't see that in scripture. I believe this retreat would be highly beneficial for you and I'd hate to see you avoid meeting with God's people just because of strict obedience to a human-created rule. Remember, Yeshua is Lord of the Sabbath, and frequently underscored that point by doing things on Sabbath that broke the religious traditions of the day, but did not break God's true laws and were in keeping with His nature.

I am not trying to start a debate, you do what you feel God is calling you to do - but I'd encourage you to rethink whether He really is calling you to observe this particularly unusual rule, that seems to be getting between you and fellowship with His people.
Yes let's please not start a debate. But, please do let me answer the question so you can understand me, and then let's please drop it after that, or take it up in another thread if someone really must.

"MY understanding": The sabbath law is to not let anyone serve you. If you enter a hotel, the staff is serving you, even if you have no interaction with them. Emergency care, such as healing the sick on the sabbath, or finding a lost animal, is what Yeshua clarified does not break the sabbath.

Everyone has differing opinions on where to draw the line between service and emergency service. Some turn off the electricity because it requires servicemen. Some keep the electric on because it is an emergency service. I have friends on both sides of this. For me and my house, we keep the electric on, but do not enter hotels. We firmly place hotels in the non-emergency service category unless you are stranded (unplanned of course) and the weather is bad.

Once you find where to draw the line for your family, it is not good to keep adjusting it to fit your whims. The decision needs to be made outside of, and before, the current circumstances. Otherwise you end up making up new rules all the time to fit your convenience rather than your convictions.

Hopefully everyone now understands my position. Please do not reply to this thread about it.

I'd encourage you to rethink whether He really is calling you to observe this particularly unusual rule,
I wouldn’t judge this as an unusual rule.
Exodus 20:10 (KJV)
But the seventh day [is] the sabbath of the LORD thy God: [in it] thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that [is] within thy gates:
My guess is that he is honoring the idea that he will not require a stranger to be on duty so that he may enjoy the premises.

Personally, I buy no food on my Shabbat. I don’t even buy a cup of coffee nor trade a coupon for one, so that no one has to make it. Even though it is already made for others.
I had to drive 700 miles during my Shabbat this week in order to keep a schedule that I had no control over, but I at least honored it to the extent that I didn’t purchase fuel, food, nor coffee.

edit: I was obviously answering while @Philip was.
Not debating, just supporting his understanding.

I wouldn’t judge this as an unusual rule.
Exodus 20:10 (KJV)
But the seventh day [is] the sabbath of the LORD thy God: [in it] thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that [is] within thy gates:
My guess is that he is honoring the idea that he will not require a stranger to be on duty so that he may enjoy the premises.

Personally, I buy no food on my Shabbat. I don’t even buy a cup of coffee nor trade a coupon for one, so that no one has to make it. Even though it is already made for others.
I had to drive 700 miles during my Shabbat this week in order to keep a schedule that I had no control over, but I at least honored it to the extent that I didn’t purchase fuel, food, nor coffee.

edit: I was obviously answering while @Philip was.
Not debating, just supporting his understanding.
Does your vehicle have a 700 mile range, or did you take a gas can with you? I'm impressed with your vehicle if it is the first. :)

That said, our family will be relying on a Special Dispensation during the retreat.

Messianics/Protestants get those too, right?

Does your vehicle have a 700 mile range, or did you take a gas can with you? I'm impressed with your vehicle if it is the first. :)
My Freightliner has a capacity of 240 gallons and I used less than 150.

My Freightliner has a capacity of 240 gallons and I used less than 150.
Wow I had no idea trucks held that much fuel!

So
Anyone want a ride from the Great Northwet?

• I'm assuming that wasn't a Freudian slip (no pun intended).
  • I sure would love for someone to drag @Slumberfreeze and/or @MeganC and crew from Wyoming along.
I could handle three adults if they don’t bring anything more than their toothbrushes.

And yes, it’s raining.

So
Anyone want a ride from the Great Northwet?
I think you are exaggerating it :rolleyes:NEVER:rolleyes: rains there, trust meo_O I grew up in Portland.:cool::p:D

FYI, Lynn, Kelly, and I (Curtis) will be there for a visit. Lynn's family is having a family reunion 40 minutes away from y'all. It is near Galena, MO. We will be there from June 17-22. I have tried to stay abreast of any changes in the date, but school is very busy. Hope to see y'all some time soon. Be Blessed.

Back