• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

From Staff Support the ministry by browsing more securely with Brave!

FollowingHim

Administrator
Staff member
Real Person
Male
The Brave web browser has been built specifically to stop big businesses tracking you wherever you go on the internet. One major way internet tracking works is through advertisements - a company like Google places advertisements on many websites, and each of those advertisements is a little spy for them, watching whenever you load that advertisement. So all over the web, on completely unrelated websites, you keep loading ads and other little bits of content from the same few tracking networks - and they know where you've been and what you've been doing.

So Brave blocks advertisements (and all other tracking scripts). But many websites rely on advertisements for their income, so this destroys the income for these websites. A new way of paying for web content is required, that preserves privacy. So Brave has built that also.

And now, Biblical Families can receive funding from this system!
  1. If you download Brave via this link, and are still using it a month from now, Biblical Families will get the equivalent of US$ 7.50 as a commission.
  2. Brave Ads: When using Brave, you can opt to view small, non-intrusive, non-tracking advertisements from time to time, as small popups. Whenever you view an advertisement, you personally are paid 70% of the price of that advertisement. This adds up to a few dollars a month, depending on how much web browsing you do. You could fuss around working out how to withdraw that money yourself, but it's much easier to just send it as a tip to Biblical Families! While browsing this website, simply click the little "Brave Rewards" triangle in the top bar, and click "send a tip".
  3. Brave Rewards: You can opt to make a small monthly payment yourself, that will be directly passed on as donations to the websites you visit. You can disable contributions to all the websites that don't need your money, leaving only the quality ones. This is a way of easily donating to all the good small sites you use - including this one.
@nathan will withdraw any funds accumulated from time to time, and this will help to pay for web hosting and other such ministry costs.

Brave is very similar to Chrome, it's built on the same code base, but with Google removed and lots of privacy features added. It runs on desktop (Windows, Mac, Linux) and mobile (iOS and Android), so you can use it on all your devices - and support the ministry as you do.

Obviously Brave will be making some money from the whole process somewhere along the way too, but they're good to support. The browser was founded by Brendan Eich, who was the co-founder of Mozilla (Firefox), but was pushed out in 2014 because he had donated to an anti-same-sex-marriage lobby group back in 2012. So he is one of the very few conservative-minded people in the whole tech industry, it's good to support his work.

More information here:
https://brave.com/brave-rewards/
https://brave.com/tips/

Last edited:
@FollowingHim , based on your previous recommendation, three computers in the house were immediately rolled over to Brave and Duck-duck Go... Any way to pass that credit to BF? Or, do we have to backtrack then reupload?

Downloaded and using it. I thought I might let @nathan and @FollowingHim know that I read somewhere in signing up that biblical families needs to verify something with Brave before I can give them those credits or whatever they are called. I'll just save 'em for now. :)

Downloaded and using it. I thought I might let @nathan and @FollowingHim know that I read somewhere in signing up that biblical families needs to verify something with Brave before I can give them those credits or whatever they are called. I'll just save 'em for now. :)
Brave seems to not recognise that sites are verified for a while. It now tells me that BF is a "brave verified creator", but it didn't when I first checked after Nathan set this up. Let us know if it hasn't figured it out after a few days.

I have just found out that, by default, Brave does NOT actually block all Google, Facebook and Twitter tracking - because for usability reasons it allows little Google and Facebook buttons to appear and work on sites, and those are what are used for tracking your movement around the web. Which is ridiculous, as those are the main organisations most of us would want to block. Fortunately, you can choose to block them too.

For better security, in Brave, go to Settings - Social media blocking, and switch off Google, Facebook and Twitter.

I have just found out that, by default, Brave does NOT actually block all Google, Facebook and Twitter tracking - because for usability reasons it allows little Google and Facebook buttons to appear and work on sites, and those are what are used for tracking your movement around the web. Which is ridiculous, as those are the main organisations most of us would want to block. Fortunately, you can choose to block them too.

For better security, in Brave, go to Settings - Social media blocking, and switch off Google, Facebook and Twitter.
Done long ago.

That's great advice and I just did it!!! Thank you!!!

@FollowingHim - Brave is definitely a good browser with the added bonus to have "tips" sent to BF for hosting costs. :)

For those who want extreme privacy, check out the Epic Browser. It blocks a whole lot more and has a private VPN included.

For those who want extreme privacy, check out the Epic Browser. It blocks a whole lot more and has a private VPN included.
And if you want even more extreme privacy than that, stay in Brave but open a "New Private Window with Tor". :)

Welcome @PatrickJ! Feel free to post an introduction when you feel comfortable, it would be good to get to know you better.

@FollowingHim I tried sending tips to BF through Brave, but it says Biblicalfamilies was not verified, or somesuch. How do I do this?

This is what I see. Screenshot_20210327-201455_Brave.jpg

And if you want even more extreme privacy than that, stay in Brave but open a "New Private Window with Tor". :)

Wow; thanks for this tip, @FollowingHim; I did not know about this, and it will be very useful.

@FollowingHim - Brave is definitely a good browser with the added bonus to have "tips" sent to BF for hosting costs. :)

I tried this but it makes me log in to every site all the time. It's not like you can just log in once and then do your business.

I tried this but it makes me log in to every site all the time. It's not like you can just log in once and then do your business.
Turn shields off for the sites you need to log into. Just click the icon to the right of the address bar.

Brave stops sites tracking you, and that can also stop sites you want to track you from tracking you. So just switch off the shields for your trusted sites, and it will work just like any other browser on them. Leave shields up on all other sites.

Welcome @PatrickJ! Feel free to post an introduction when you feel comfortable, it would be good to get to know you better.

Thank you @FollowingHim for the welcome! I've posted my introduction here for any that would like to read it. Looking forward to getting to know you and other better.

Back