• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Supreme Court challenge of cohabitation and bigamy laws

I cannot believe that two who become one flesh and of whom it is written "let noone separate" could mean that we won't be connected to our spouse in some special way in heaven. That seems very antithetical to the Scriptures' taught pattern of God's eternal (unchanging) nature and the permanent nature of the oneness that is marriage. Like really, Boaz would get to heaven and just be like "oh hi, Im Boaz. I think we met once, Ruth. Anyway, talk later!". That seems so contradictory to how the Bible depicts the marriage union of two souls like "I and the Father are one", IE eternal
It’s not like we won’t know each other, it’s more like we will all be so close and one with Christ, that there won’t be any need for what we know as marriage :)

It’s not like we won’t know each other, it’s more like we will all be so close and one with Christ, that there won’t be any need for what we know as marriage :)
I think what I would miss wouldnt be the exclusivity, but the special shared connection. I dont want that with a dude lol. Also, sex. I have a hard time imagining that God's greatest physical pleasure gift would not exist in heaven...

On earth, man is a steward of God's creation, or at least those parts of it that have been entrusted into his care, including his woman/women. Part of that stewardship entails provision in a resource-scarce world.

In heaven, there may be no more need for this stewardship, as we will all be directly under Christ's authority, and there will be no more scarcity.

So what I'm saying is it's basically a communist utopia.

It may be that heaven is to earthly marriage as a 7 course gourmet meal is to breast milk. The baby knows nothing else, is incredibly excited for it and absolutely dependent on it; but he will grow beyond it and no longer be satisfied by it.

Although, I still like boobies and raw milk...wait, how did we get to talking about this in a thread on "Supreme Court challenge of cohabitation and bigamy laws"?

It may be that heaven is to earthly marriage as a 7 course gourmet meal is to breast milk. The baby knows nothing else, is incredibly excited for it and absolutely dependent on it; but he will grow beyond it and no longer be satisfied by it.

Although, I still like boobies and raw milk...wait, how did we get to talking about this in a thread on "Supreme Court challenge of cohabitation and bigamy laws"?
Because boobies and milk are the whole reason all of us guys are here, right?

Wait...did I miss something really important?

;)

Because this is the BFF. We take good threads and run them off the rails.... but, it is fun. Most of the time.

Reminds me of this passage in the great divorce:

"You mean," said the Tragedian, "you mean -you did not love me truly in the old days?"

"Only in a poor sort of way," she answered. "I have asked you to forgive me. There was a little real love in it. But what we called love down there was mostly the craving to be loved. In the main I loved you for my own sake: because I needed you."

"And now!" said the Tragedian with a hackneyed gesture of despair. "Now, you need me no more?"

"But of course not!" said the Lady; and her smile made me wonder how both the phantoms could refrain from crying out with joy.

"What needs could I have," she said, "now that I have all? I am full now, not empty. I am in Love Himself, not lonely. Strong, not weak. You shall be the same. Come and see. We shall have no need for one another now: we can begin to love truly."

Back to legal stuff:

I'm in the process of moving from a more defensive/reactive stance to a more aggressive/proactive one. An idea I've been kicking around (inside my head) since this past weekend (during libertarian activities) is setting up a PAC to endorse and support candidates that would decriminalize bigamy or get the gummint out of marriage altogether (except for the adjudicating and enforcement of private contracts). My focus is Texas, so I'm not sure how much this would benefit other states, but my interest here is not so much in the short game of getting a particular candidate elected in, say, 2020, as in the long game of using the PAC as a show of force and starting a real dialogue with legislators (and getting candidates elected ultimately, of course), so in that sense a win for any one of us is a win for all of us.

For more info or to get involved, please PM me.

I cannot believe that two who become one flesh and of whom it is written "let noone separate" could mean that we won't be connected to our spouse in some special way in heaven.

I kind of think in Heaven we will all be joined together in Christ. So that the bond we create here in marriage, is like a sample of what we get to experience more fully for eternity in Heaven. It will remain, but be added to immeasureably and in ways that we can not begin to comprehend.

I do not think that Jesus is saying that we will be torn apart from our wives, but rather that the marriage relationship will no longer be unique just between us. There is going to be a whole nother level of connections and relationships when we experience the fullness of living in Christ.

I kind of think in Heaven we will all be joined together in Christ. So that the bond we create here in marriage, is like a sample of what we get to experience more fully for eternity in Heaven. It will remain, but be added to immeasureably and in ways that we can not begin to comprehend.

I do not think that Jesus is saying that we will be torn apart from our wives, but rather that the marriage relationship will no longer be unique just between us. There is going to be a whole nother level of connections and relationships when we experience the fullness of living in Christ.

I think... there is something in me that likes the idea of certain people being closer... I don't WANT to be intimate with everyone lol. Not that in heaven I think the circle couldn't expand, so to speak...I just have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of universality >.<

I don't think He will tear us away from our wives, rather I think it's more that marriage will simply become irrelevant. I can imagine that the presence of God would overwhelm and supercede everything else. We might still have a special relationship but not spend much time thinking about that any more.

As adults, we don't really care about reading children's books any more. Nobody tore us away from them, we still know on some level that they're fun, we actually have even more ready access to them than we had as children, we might even read one occasionally, but we've just moved on to other matters. And the progression is a good thing, not a bad thing.

I think... there is something in me that likes the idea of certain people being closer... I don't WANT to be intimate with everyone lol. Not that in heaven I think the circle couldn't expand, so to speak...I just have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of universality >.<

Pure speculation, but I am thinking intimacy with everyone after we are perfected in Jesus will be much different than intimacy in this life with warts and all. In this life it is hard work, but in the next life pure joy?

FYI: This is sort of the background thinking behind the Onieda experiment. They decided they did not want to wait until the next life to enjoy a universal intimacy. It worked surprisingly well, and did not really collapse until heriditary considerations and outside pressures got to be too much. I do think it is interesting, but I do not advocate it.

Pure speculation, but I am thinking intimacy with everyone after we are perfected in Jesus will be much different than intimacy in this life with warts and all. In this life it is hard work, but in the next life pure joy?

FYI: This is sort of the background thinking behind the Onieda experiment. They decided they did not want to wait until the next life to enjoy a universal intimacy. It worked surprisingly well, and did not really collapse until heriditary considerations and outside pressures got to be too much. I do think it is interesting, but I do not advocate it.
There were a few other problems too. Free love ain't free.

Instead of just talking about "one day" there being a change, why are we not actively pursuing it? Let's create a coalition, build the awareness withinn the poly communities raise money, tith or donate to the coalition and start working to legalize it. Talking about change but not doing anything it is like farting in the wind! IMO
I also think it should be organized by poly supporters rather than those actively living it to protect the families already in place. Again JMO

I also think it should be organized by poly supporters rather than those actively living it to protect the families already in place
I heart the snot out of that statement!:):):)

Back