• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

Taking the Gospel of Plural Marriage to the World

Wesley said:
Wesley said:
swingers and polyamorists who just don't care what the Bible says.

That looks like group + qualifier = smaller group to me. Here's the breakdown...

• One or more groups...
    • "swingers and polyamorists"
    Plus a qualifier...
    • "who just don't care what the Bible says."

You are correct so I apologize for my incorrect claim. You really have 3 groups or qualifiers in one sentence as stated in the following...
For the sake of completeness, I'll include the fact that the reference to "pigs" refers to people such as swingers and polyamorists who just don't care what the Bible says.

"...people such as (category 1)" + "swingers and polyamorists (subgroup or qualifier 1)" + "who just don't care what the Bible says (subgroup or qualifier 2)." All of those division of groups in one sentence.

You also mentioned this:
Wesley said:
We aren't supposed to be wasting our breath preaching to either one of them. We are to set the example and let those who care follow it.

So you agree that some polyamorists and swingers can be open to listening or discussing what the Bible has to say. Since we don't know which ones those will be, and we can't go by behavior alone, then it would be worth trying to talk with all of them to at least find out if they're open.

UntoldGlory said:
Stop fighting you're ruining Christmas!!!
This.....
-_-

Guys, this is getting ridiculous.

Biblical Families is a place to learn about and discuss plural marriage. It is not a place to nit pick and have a go at each other constantly. No one finds it interesting, and in fact we're getting seriously bored of it.

You can play the "He said!", "But he said!" game all day, but it just makes you sound like children egging each other into a fight to prove yourselves right.

Are you children? Or are you men?

Now, you can tear this post to shreds and have a go at me, or you can start to wonder about your behaviour and why it's caused me to be so blunt. Your choice.

FollowingHim2 said:
Guys, this is getting ridiculous.

Biblical Families is a place to learn about and discuss plural marriage. It is not a place to nit pick and have a go at each other constantly. No one finds it interesting, and in fact we're getting seriously bored of it.

You can play the "He said!", "But he said!" game all day, but it just makes you sound like children egging each other into a fight to prove yourselves right.

Are you children? Or are you men?

Now, you can tear this post to shreds and have a go at me, or you can start to wonder about your behaviour and why it's caused me to be so blunt. Your choice.

I dont see a real issue here, FollowingHim2. We are both staying on topic, and no name calling. We just have a respectful disagreement.

In that case might I suggest you guys take your "respectful disagreements" with each other to P.M.s? They tend to discourage other people from contributing.

Thank you FH2 and UntoldGlory.

I actually have stopped making comments by and large because it seems to be impossible to make contributions without having them picked apart.

Generally I have stopped reading posts from westly or polypride.
while they might have initially had some interesting points, I am frustrated by their inability to state their case then back out and give others a chance to comment. Instead we get post after post of on and on and on...
Guys When your posts are the majority of any thread it's probably a good time to start your own blog.

The derailing of potentially good threads and the absence of of other people's opinion to balance things is obvious. I am certain that being involved would only devalue yourself ..so who could blame anyone for not wishing to become involved in these games of nit picky point scoring.
Post but at some point you have to moderate yourself or others will have to step in to moderate you to maintain the integrity and spirit of this site.
I'm a bit frustrated because my wife has started reading some of the threads here. I've been telling her about some of the cool things some of you have said..She starts reading the" on and on and on..." And it's not cool or inspired, just two guys flattering themselves.
Bring back Cecil he had a good sence of humour...now some of those where good threads

GloryGirl said:
Thank you FH2 and UntoldGlory.

I actually have stopped making comments by and large because it seems to be impossible to make contributions without having them picked apart.

Believe it or not I know exactly how you feel. I have a somewhat different response to the feeling (different from stopping posting) but it is a very similar feeling of disliking having my comments nit-picked apart by those who don't even know me.

There was also plenty of nit-picking (disagreement?) on crucial issues such as here:
divorce and remarriage. Someone mentioned something to Wesley earlier in that thread but my point is plenty of others participated.

Some times the issue is important or there's strong positions on both sides, you're going to get some clash, but it should at least be respectful - about the viewpoint and not the person.

Ok, I'm sick of this and it's stopping now. I am too busy with work to even look at the forum for a fortnight and I come back to this.
Wesley and PolyPride are both going on post approval. This means they will not be able to post anything until I have reviewed and approved it. And given how busy I am right now, that mightn't be very quickly.
But because of some wee behind-the-scenes quirks here, Nathan has to put people on post approval. I can only ban them. So both are now banned, temporarily, awaiting Nathan putting them on post approval. And Nathan's sick, so probably even slower than me to get on to things like this.
Oh well, I really couldn't care less right now.

PolyPride is going on post approval for deliberately baiting and inciting conflict.
Wesley is going on post approval for responding to such baiting and having such conflict, he's had multiple warnings so this might be small but it's the last straw.

Anyway, right now I'm sure I've completely pissed off two men who'll think I'm a heavy-handed authoritarian megalomaniac, while causing everyone else on the forum to breathe an enormous collective sigh of relief, and I'm pretty comfortable with that thought.

Wesley and PolyPride, once Nathan's done his thing and you've got access back, send each other private messages to exchange your phone numbers and have a good old yelling match in private, enjoy.

Everyone else, feel free to go back to posting as usual, I'm looking forward to reestablishing the friendly family atmosphere we try to maintain here.

FollowingHim,

They may not like it, but I (for one) appreciate your action. We Christians all may have different perspectives, but we must always be known for our love. As Jesus said in John 13:35, "By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." If we can't maintain a patient and cordial spirit in internal discussions, it makes us all look like hypocrites and tarnishes anything else we may say, especially when discussing a topic so volatile as multiple marriage. The humble spirit of a peacemaker is the prerequisite for sharing the true Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ, not to mention any other doctrine.

After all, we must first share the message of peace between a Holy God and fallen mankind. This "Good News" is such a radical departure from the ways of the world that it will only be believed if it is verified by the lives of the people who proclaim its truth.

Joe.

FounderChurch said:
Should this organization and others like it being taking the Gospel, the entire Gospel, including Plural Marriage, to the whole world, as missionaries, as the Bible instructs? Are we doing that effectively? It seems not, from all evidence. If it is a good thing, and a Biblical thing, then is not a grave sin to not be sharing it meaningfully with the whole world? I just don't see that being done by anyone in this movement to speak of.

I like a paraphrase of an old adage I heard a long time ago.

The original version was...
An unknown pundit said:
"Spread the gospel to the world. When necessary, use words."

My paraphrase is this: "Spread the gospel to the world. In the rare cases when people are actually listening try using words."

jacobhaivri said:
For me, I've found that when you're dealing with people who are stuck on their particular doctrinal slants, whatever they may be, the real trick is teaching them to be fair with the Scriptural text, rather than trying to slaughter one sacred cow at a time. If you can teach someone to get beyond their doctrines and prejudices to see what the text actually says, whatever that may be, and however uncomfortable it makes us, then one can move forward with learning a whole Gospel and a fair response to the Biblical text.

Until people learn to be reasonable with what the text actually says, trying to reason with them will often lead to a great deal of conflict.

Very good point. Even those who accept biblical polygamy would need practice what you say consistently otherwise we might just fall prey to cultural bias and unreasonable conclusions on other issues.

That is a good approach, the difficulty is the execution. I've tried taking the tact of finding a less sensitive or controversial topic with varying degrees of success.

I do like to try and find some other doctrinal issues we can discuss besides poly to "practice" having differing viewpoints or seeking the word to come to accord. Like, when someone doesn't think they can even get along with us because we have a difference in doctrinal belief about poly, I try to find another issue I know they won't care about as much to highlight how 100% agreement is vital. Like, I know that the Christian and Missionary Alliance (the denomination our church is part of) sponsors circumcision for converts as part of their larger medical missions program. Well I point out that Paul tells us that anyone who chooses to be circumcised is basically choosing to be under the whole of the law and that Jesus sacrifice is worthless to them. I also say that Paul is very critical of the people telling new converts that they have to be circumcised. I go on to say that this should be a major doctrinal difference, but I don't feel conflicted worshiping in a C&MA church because I believe that they are trying to serve God the best they know how, and are therefor covered under the Romans 14 principal. I don't even feel conflicted financially supporting those missionaries. So why then does my difference in belief, which they can't even disprove, mean we can't worship together or be in fellowship?

As I said, varying degrees of success.

Back