• Biblical Families is not a dating website. It is a forum to discuss issues relating to marriage and the Bible, and to offer guidance and support, not to find a wife. Click here for more information.

The Misuse of Pronouns

No. This is a recent thing in the past decade. Prior to this if there was a story about a driver of a car for instance the media would call the driver him. People in general did this as well.
Really? Show this from the past. Just because it is mentioned in the 2017 AP stylebook does not mean it was never used prior to this.

Sarah just pointed out to me this form of conversation we've always had:
"The shopkeeper was mean to me" - "Oh, what did they say?"
That's just a natural way to speak in such a sentence, where the gender of the individual has not been specified. So it's what we've always said.

Now, it is true that we also have historically substituted "him" - but that is generally in situations when the person is probably male. The CEO of a company is probably male, statistically, so assume "him" until you hear otherwise. It's not that "him" is being used as a generic pronoun, it's that you are assuming their gender is male and using the pronoun you assume is correct. Just as if there is a story about a nurse you'll use "her" until someone clarifies that it was a male nurse - statistically a nurse is probably female so you assume that.

The big problem in all this is that the ruling class is trying to stir up division. A healthy society is one where people don't get overly emotive about little things that annoy them about each other (like what words to use), but let people think what they like provided they don't tell you what to do. This doesn't rock the boat. To upset this balance, the elite push hard on one side of the boat to rock it in one direction - e.g. "everyone must use they". What they are trying to achieve is a backlash, where the people who disagree swing to the opposite extreme - e.g. "nobody must ever use they", and try and tip the boat in the opposite direction. Then they can sit back and watch while the once-stable society tears itself apart, while they get busy doing whatever this was all distracting from.

You're doing exactly what they want you to do.

Yet you have just found the heart of the problem. In that, you Americans take a plural word - "mathematics" - and replace it with a singular one - "math" - instead of retaining the plurality of the word as "maths". In this you have been indoctrinated from the time you started school that plurals can be interchanged with singulars, and that has made you receptive to "they/them" being interchanged with "him/her". Ever wonder why this linguistic confusion began in the USA, and not somewhere that still speaks proper English? Now you know.
🤣
Oooooh no...
Math is not a word though. It is an abbreviation.
Perhaps there are plural abbreviations out there but none come to mind.

Yet you have just found the heart of the problem. In that, you Americans take a plural word - "mathematics" - and replace it with a singular one - "math" - instead of retaining the plurality of the word as "maths". In this you have been indoctrinated from the time you started school that plurals can be interchanged with singulars, and that has made you receptive to "they/them" being interchanged with "him/her". Ever wonder why this linguistic confusion began in the USA, and not somewhere that still speaks proper English? Now you know.
🤣
😳 Wow! 😉

Personally, I'm more concerned that Dumbed-Down AmeriKans don't know the meaning of simple words like "infringed," or even "shall NOT."

Not to mention that most can't even DO 'math'. Not counting others 'maths' - like DiffEQ or integral calculus.

PS> And if even 10% understood elementary statistics, they'd never have fallen for a ten-sigma "coincidence" like every vote after 3AM coming in for the Senile Basement Dweller. And they probably wouldn't have fallen for tests with a 95% false-positive rate, either.

The big problem in all this is that the ruling class is trying to stir up division. Then they can sit back and watch while the once-stable society tears itself apart, while they get busy doing whatever this was all distracting from.

You're doing exactly what they want you to do.
They do this, but I don't think it is the primary issue here. Here they are engaged in Orwellian control of thought via language manipulation.

I don't think Megan is doing what they want her to.

The 90% of people who just go along with the new trend of official dogma are doing what they want.

They do this, but I don't think it is the primary issue here. Here they are engaged in Orwellian control of thought via language manipulation.

I don't think Megan is doing what they want her to.

The 90% of people who just go along with the new trend of official dogma are doing what they want.

^^^^
This. It is thought control and whoever came up with this idea? I'm not going to cooperate with him. :cool:

I am not entirely convinced that using "they/them" is always necessarily untrue or inaccurate.

What if it really is inclusive?

No, hear me out for just a sec:

"Legion, for we are many"

What if "they/them" refers to him and all his demon passengers?

This is a very interesting thread I'm combing through it now.

Also hello everyone, it's been a while since I've posted. Work, family, kids..you know.

To be thread appropriate
I "identify" as a real person now haha wooo

🤣

You Commonwealth people take the French word lieutenant and you pronounce it as "leftenant" for some incomprehensible reason. Where did the 'f' sound come from? o_O

And what is with the pronunciation of the word "jaguar"? The word is of South American origin and the Spanish honor the native pronunciation of "ha-war" while Americans will pronounce it as 'jag-war' which is closer to the origin than what you Commonwealth types do by adding another syllable to the word as thus, "Jag-you-are", which I find rather pre-sump-tee-ous.

And what is with the pronunciation of the word "jaguar"? The word is of South American origin and the Spanish honor the native pronunciation of "ha-war" while Americans will pronounce it as 'jag-war' which is closer to the origin than what you Commonwealth types do by adding another syllable to the word as thus, "Jag-you-are", which I find rather pre-sump-tee-ous.
We Croats say 'jaguar'.

You Commonwealth people take the French word lieutenant and you pronounce it as "leftenant" for some incomprehensible reason. Where did the 'f' sound come from? o_O

Don't get me started on the vegetables. The Commonwealth folks call zucchini "courgettes" and eggplants "aubergines".

My understanding is that zucchinis were introduced to the USA by Italian immigrants, so we use the Italian word. The courgette was i introduced to Britain via France, so they use the French word.

Then there is the whole thing about referring to "vegetables" in general as "vedge". 😳

You're all gay.
If a language has more than 3 grammatical genders does it make it more gay?

Just curious, I can hardly speak English.

My father is a Italian/Greek from NJ , my mother is a southern bell from Florida and her family came from AL.
My accent can sound strange even to americans. It confuses both southerner and northerner 🙃 "Fuhgeddaboudit Yall"

Back